Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Sep 2010 (Tuesday) 18:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rebel vs xxD series

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Sep 29, 2010 14:00 |  #31

kf095 wrote in post #11001874 (external link)
Rebel has same functionalities to change settings by UI as xD, xxD without using of LCD.

No, it doesn't. Being able to see the settings in the viewfinder is not the same as being able to quickly and easily change those settings before the moment has passed.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

sponsored links
uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 29, 2010 14:05 |  #32

krb wrote in post #11001939 (external link)
No, it doesn't. Being able to see the settings in the viewfinder is not the same as being able to quickly and easily change those settings before the moment has passed.

Exactly. The UI hardware, the wheel and the joystick, are the point.

Also, when I said too many SD card readers don't read SDHC I don't mean the readers I pick up for $2 on ebay.

I mean readers built into notebooks or a 3.5" front panel on your desktop.

I mean readers that a customer or other exchanger happens to have.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,807 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 29, 2010 14:36 |  #33

uOpt wrote in post #11001979 (external link)
Exactly. The UI hardware, the wheel and the joystick, are the point.

Also, when I said too many SD card readers don't read SDHC I don't mean the readers I pick up for $2 on ebay.

I mean readers built into notebooks or a 3.5" front panel on your desktop.

I mean readers that a customer or other exchanger happens to have.

I could change Rebel settings with its dual wheel and buttons without LCD and quick also.
Fast enough to be able to get correctly exposed and focused picture.

Did OP ever mentioned he is going to sell his wildlife photos? You know, one camera, one computer scenario?
If I’m not mistaken, he was simply asking if xxD and 7D are better pictures takers, not money makers.

I doubt I ever seen notebook with CF reader.
If you need to toss around different computers your SD memory card why not to get one SDHC reader for it? Every laptop has USB for it. But not so many laptops or even desktops would have memory cards readers.

I did not mentioned 2$ e-bay something. I mentioned 15USD readers available in the big box stores.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,807 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 29, 2010 14:54 |  #34

krb wrote in post #11001939 (external link)

I’m not a pro, who shots for money. I have cheap Rebel, which I use in M mode all the time.
I have no issues to quickly change ISO, AV, Ev and focus points on my Rebel buy using of dual wheel, buttons and viewfinder.
Fast enough to catch the moment or to follow the changes in the light conditions.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 29, 2010 14:55 |  #35

I had a rebel and a 40D at the same time and on the same outings and the UI hardware is the single biggest difference for learning and fiddling. I can't even imagine how you change settings not on the main dial without taking the camera off your eyes with the Rebel buttons.

Do you or did you *actually* do that on a Rebel?

(also note that the 60D doesn't count as a xxD in this sense. I'm sure it's a fine camera otherwise)

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,807 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 29, 2010 15:09 |  #36

uOpt wrote in post #11002319 (external link)
I had a rebel and a 40D at the same time and on the same outings and the UI hardware is the single biggest difference for learning and fiddling. I can't even imagine how you change settings not on the main dial without taking the camera off your eyes with the Rebel buttons.

(also note that the 60D doesn't count as a xxD in this sense. I'm sure it's a fine camera otherwise)

This is why I don’t understand what this fuss and buzz about better UI at xxD, xD is all about.
On my Rebel ISO is separate button, click and use dual wheel to change it. Same for Av, Ev, Focus points. It is very easy and fast. If I need to get back to central point for focusing I don’t even need viewfinder. I could do it with closed eyes. :D

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 29, 2010 15:19 |  #37

kent andersen wrote in post #11001476 (external link)
For most shooting conditions the rebel is just as good as a 7D or 60D. It is when the light is bad and the objekt is moving that the more expensive body are helpful.

T2i picture of a moving object.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

T2i picture in bad light.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

The T2i had no trouble under each circumstance.

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,807 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 29, 2010 15:22 |  #38

uOpt wrote in post #11002319 (external link)

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I have LCD set to off, because I’m using viewfinder to change camera settings.

As for 60D, I call it Super Rebel. If I would be able to have some spare money, I would get 5D in no time.

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 29, 2010 15:23 as a reply to  @ DC Fan's post |  #39

Try shooting a small flying bird through dense foliage. Guarantee the XXd/Xd will get a higher percentage of keepers. This is coming from someone who moved from XTI -> 40D -> 50D, so I'm not knocking rebels at all.

Syntaxxor
243 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 29, 2010 15:25 |  #40

Jesus I see a lot of weird and out there posts. Why is anyone talking about the 7D? It's an xD camera; not an xxD.

I recently bought a 50D to take over as main body over my Rebel XS.

My 50D:
Is bigger, which feels better; and less cheap in my hands.
Turns on faster; even from autosleep; so I have no excuse for not being ready for the shot.
Has 6.4FPS as compared to 1.5FPS (In RAW, which is the only way I shoot)
Will auto ISO up to 1600, and will produce a useable image there; with mediocre to decent glass.
Has 5 more mp; which shouldn't really be in this conversation cause it means nothing.
Has a better LCD screen.
Is far more rugged; and better suited for weather sealing.
Has a faster AF, that is more accurate. (9pt Cross Type, XS has a 7pt and has major issues in lowlight AF, though you should manual there anyway)
The GUI is WAY faster and WAY more fluid; I can fully format my 8gb UDMA almost 10+ times faster than my XS will format a SDHC 4gb.
Has a joystick and control wheel; faster adjustments to be made.
Has top LCD for quick glances and changing settings without the back LCD.

I'm sure I could sit here and think of more things that I consider better; however.

REALITY:
The IQ from my XS to 50D is not monumentally different, especially with my low end glass.
If I'm ready to fire on my XS, I can get the same great shots (single shot, not series) as my 50D.
My XS has a better battery life, in aspect of shot to battery.

The 50D costs about twice as much as my XS, and I don't think it's TWICE the camera; however, I bought it because I liked it; and I love it now that I have it, and don't regret it at all. I would never hesitate to grab my XS for shooting on a sunny day (or well light area) though I would definitely prefer my 50D for when it starts getting alil darker.

I do however believe that as I get better GLASS, I'll see a bigger gap between the two cameras; but who knows?

EDIT:
@DCFAN, taking pictures of cars that are racing is cute; unfortunately it doesn't help to make a comparison, they're predictable, where is the car going?! I'll bet left. Where is a humming bird going to fly? A bee? Fly? Deer gonna run?

||Canon 50D||Canon Rebel XS|| EF-S 18-55MM IS||EF-S 55-250mm IS||EF 50mm 1.8 MK2||EF 28-135MM IS USM||430EX II||

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Sep 29, 2010 15:48 |  #41

kf095 wrote in post #11002420 (external link)
This is why I don’t understand what this fuss and buzz about better UI at xxD, xD is all about.
On my Rebel ISO is separate button, click and use dual wheel to change it. Same for Av, Ev, Focus points.

On the xxD you have a wheel on the front for shutter, a wheel on the back for aperture and a joystick-thingy on the back for AF point. No futzing around with pressing a button before using any of them.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 29, 2010 16:24 as a reply to  @ krb's post |  #42

Just to satisfy my curiosity I recently took my T1i along with a 7D to Lucas Oil Stadium and used them to photograph a couple local H.S. teams playing there. I too got some decent action shots with the T1i, but it took me less than 30 minutes to put it back in the bag and get out the 7D where my keeper rate easily tripled+, I guarantee that would have been the same result had I substituted it with a 30/40/50D.

A question to all you people posting these great action pictures with your T2i's...how many OOF shot's did you have to sift through before you find those few that were keepers?

On some football plays I tear off 20 to 30+ pics with the 7D and have the confidence that the majority of them are going to be in-focus and possible keepers, there's no way I can accomplish that with my T1i, the AF system is slower not to mention the FPS. I missed so many shots with T1i that day at the stadium it was laughable...if I only wanted to walk away with a dozen or so decent shot's to brag about how great my Rebel was at shooting action then I would have been pleased I guess.

There is a reason why people who shoot sports and action on a regular basis choose the XXD and 1D series bodies, and if you truly don't understand why then replace your Rebel for a week or two with one and go shoot a couple football games, a race, basketball, baseball, soccer, or whatever floats your boat.

Gear List & Feedback

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 29, 2010 16:34 |  #43

DC Fan wrote in post #11002489 (external link)
T2i picture of a moving object.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

The T2i had no trouble under each circumstance.

nice panning shot !

Riveredger
668 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 29, 2010 16:56 |  #44

10megapixel wrote in post #11002887 (external link)
Just to satisfy my curiosity I recently took my T1i along with a 7D to Lucas Oil Stadium and used them to photograph a couple local H.S. teams playing there. I too got some decent action shots with the T1i, but it took me less than 30 minutes to put it back in the bag and get out the 7D where my keeper rate easily tripled+, I guarantee that would have been the same result had I substituted it with a 30/40/50D.

A question to all you people posting these great action pictures with your T2i's...how many OOF shot's did you have to sift through before you find those few that were keepers?

On some football plays I tear off 20 to 30+ pics with the 7D and have the confidence that the majority of them are going to be in-focus and possible keepers, there's no way I can accomplish that with my T1i, the AF system is slower not to mention the FPS. I missed so many shots with T1i that day at the stadium it was laughable...if I only wanted to walk away with a dozen or so decent shot's to brag about how great my Rebel was at shooting action then I would have been pleased I guess.

There is a reason why people who shoot sports and action on a regular basis choose the XXD and 1D series bodies, and if you truly don't understand why then replace your Rebel for a week or two with one and go shoot a couple football games, a race, basketball, baseball, soccer, or whatever floats your boat.

lol - I suspect many of us simply do this for pleasure and hobby. I really don't care to brag about how great my Rebel is at shooting action. I just take pictures because I enjoy it, not to impress anyone. I owned a 40D for a short while and found that it was indeed a responsive camera. But, I think it is too big and heavy for casual use.

Flickr Photostream (external link)

Hoyts ­ n' ­ Mulies
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 29, 2010 17:08 as a reply to  @ Riveredger's post |  #45

Wow this really turned into something I didn't expect. I was mostly just looking for the measured facts of what makes the 7D or xxD a better camera. I knew that there were reasons but I didn't really know them.

I do now realize that the 7D is not in the same series as the XXD. I apologize for not realizing this.

sponsored links

20,323 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rebel vs xxD series
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.