Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 24 Sep 2010 (Friday) 13:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tamrac Evolution 8

JerryO
73 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 24, 2010 13:32 |  #1

This bag is high on my list of posibilities. I like the backpack style so I can distribute the weight across my shoulders and I like that it can slide around to the front and has side access to remove the camera without putting down the bag. I havsearched and did not see any reviews on here. Does anyone have said bag and what do you think. The other option I am looking at is the FastPack 350 and welcome comments on that one as well.

Gear needed to fit

50D (if it wil fit gripped that would be a big plus)
17-55 2.8
28-135
50mm
100-400L or 70-200L
speedlight
Room for extra stuff (rocket blower, brush, CF cards)
Tripod mount would be nice but not required.

sponsored links
nozlep
92 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 29, 2010 21:04 |  #2

I wanted a bag similar in size to the Slingshot 200 but able to carry a 10.1 inch laptop. I also have a Compu Rover, but all the camera gear is in the bottom and I prefer sling-type bags. Also, the bag is too bulky for some situations. I saw the Kata 3n1 bags online but there were none in stock locally. I came across the Tamarac 5788. It fit my needs pretty well. It can hold the following gear:

Main Bag Area
1000xS with 100-400 attached, including mounting ring
24-105
50 1.4
Tamron 10-24

Depending whether you put the lenses vertical or horizontal, there is enough room for at least one more lens the same size as the 24-105, lens hoods for 10-24 and 24-105(detached) or mount the lens hood on the 100-400 reversed.

Top area
Speedlight 430
Rocket blower
Assorted cables, including laptop power supply
I prefer to keep the Lens hoods for 100-400, 10-24 and 24-105 in this area. There is still room for the speedlight, some cables and the Rocket Blower

10.1 inch laptop

If you remove the items from the top area, there is enough room for a second camera the similar in size to the 1000XS with the 24-105 attached (lens hood reversed).

My one issue is that the bag does not “sling” as well as the Slingshot, due to rubber material on the shoulder straps to prevent slippage. While I appreciated this while traveling through airports, the sling motion was not as smooth as the Slingshot. Overall I am impressed with this bag and would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

zone555
84 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 29, 2010 22:52 as a reply to  @ nozlep's post |  #3

I just purchased this bag a few days ago for an upcoming vacation, so it hasn't been used in the field yet :). This is what I'll be carrying (test fitted):

Main bag area
7D mounted with 70-200 2.8L IS II (hood reversed)
TS-E 24mm II
EF 50mm 1.4 (hood reversed)
580EX II

Top bag area
5D MkII mounted with 35L (hood reversed)
TS-E hood

I'm currently looking for a compact tripod that'll mount nicely onto this bag. I have a Manfrotto 190, but even this relatively small tripod is too tall, the center of gravity is much too high. They should've made the "tripod foot pocket" fold out and sit under the bag like the Lowepro and Think Tank bags. Or better yet, provide some straps to mount the tripod horizontally underneath like a sleeping bag :mad:

Otherwise, I'm happy with the bag so far.. but the real test will be using it :D

Gear List

RIgnacio
281 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 30, 2010 00:04 |  #4

I brought my gripped 50d w/ 24-70L lens attached to a local camera store so I can test out the way it fits in the evo 8. The camera with grip and lens fit (but rather tight) through the side opening. I'm sure after the bag is broken in it should fit nicely. I plan on asking santa for this bag come Christmas.

[URL="http://[URL="htt​p://[/COLOR""]
[URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=9262644&postcou​nt=2114[/COLOR"]
[URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=9262644&postcou​nt=2114"]Gear List
[URL="http://www.flick​r.com/photos/rignacio/​"]Flickr

JerryO
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 30, 2010 10:18 as a reply to  @ RIgnacio's post |  #5

Thanks for the info... how big does the bag seem to carry. It is hard to see from the pictures but it looks a little bigger than your typical backpack (think highschool). I dont want to feel like I am carying a giant hiking frame pack for a trip into the mountains. Is the size reasonable?

RIgnacio
281 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 30, 2010 10:53 |  #6

Its a good size bag. Not too big not too small. For a days worth of shooting, its the perfect bag.

[URL="http://[URL="htt​p://[/COLOR""]
[URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=9262644&postcou​nt=2114[/COLOR"]
[URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=9262644&postcou​nt=2114"]Gear List
[URL="http://www.flick​r.com/photos/rignacio/​"]Flickr

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 30, 2010 10:55 |  #7

Interesting... I was just looking at Tamrac's video about it on youtube (external link). Seems to be very similar to Kata's 3-N-1 bags.

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

Dr ­ Lazarus
711 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 30, 2010 11:22 |  #8

I got this a few months ago and it carries pretty well full loaded. I went from a shoulder bag to this so the side access and quick access was a must, but man after a long day shooting and walking back, or on hikes, it's so nice to be able to distribute the load across both shoulders to save your back.

I carry a 40D with grip and RRS L bracket, so pretty big, and it fits fine. I have a 28-135, 50, 75-300, 10-22, and flash and they all fit in the main compartment. I'd imagine if you're going to carry something as long as 100-400 that you'd either want that on the camera or up in the top part. I rented that lens for an air show recently and it fit in its little bag with no problems in the top compartment (with my radio triggers and flash mounts).

The tripod foot pocket was a bit disappointing because I have a full size CF tripod that I used to sling with my shoulder bag. For hiking I'll probably just hook it to the top supplied strap and then let it hang, although I'm not sure how this will affect quick access to the side panels.

Flickr (external link)

YP5 ­ Toronto
499 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 20, 2010 17:39 |  #9

Just to add to this thread, I brought one home and tested my 7D + Grip + 70-200 2.8 IS. This combination was a bit to snug for my liking. It really was a snug fit and made both ends othe camera compartment bulg. It left no room for "bumps" and the padding was stretched. Morever, trying to access the camera from the side was not easy given the overall "height" of the body and grip in comparison to the opening. The opening is smaller then the 7D Gripped and required some struggling to get out.

With the Gripped 7D + 70-200 the other compartments became boarderline un-usable for other lenses.

I would not reco this bag for those with the above combo.

Canon 7D Gripped |Tokina 11-16 | Sigma 30mm F1.4 |Canon EF 24-70L | |Canon EF 70-200L F2.8IS MKI |Sigma 530DG | Giottos 9360 | Giottos MH-1301 | Giottos MH656 | Spyder2Pro | Kata 3IN1-20 | Kata Bumblebee UL-222

sponsored links

3,368 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tamrac Evolution 8
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.