Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Sep 2010 (Sunday) 16:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D owners - confused on CF card requirment

Andi ­ 1969
298 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Location: Andover Hampshire Via Durham (UK), PMB, Springs and East London (RSA) but originally Wigan

Sep 28, 2010 00:58 |  #16

Lexar do a hi speed pro card which looks impressive, not sure how it stacks up again the Sandisk
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=hpNw5yVPhLg (external link)

Canon EOS 7D & Canon EOS 450D/XSI
EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM
Nissin Di866, Yongnuo YN565EX
www.andihardman.co.uk (external link)

sponsored links
Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
12,625 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 28, 2010 06:33 as a reply to  @ Andi 1969's post |  #17

I'm using a Lexar 16 Gb 300X Pro and it has worked flawlessly with bursts, repeatedly. I don't use it to take video very often but when I did it worked perfectly too.

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, 1D-X II, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link).

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,179 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 28, 2010 07:37 as a reply to  @ Wallace River's post |  #18

When shooting large RAW images, the 7D produces in excess of 200 MB/s, so it doesn't matter which card, that exists today, you use. They aren't fast enough anyway.

That's why the difference is in a few shots more or less before the camera slows down, and then quite a substantial difference in for how long it will be slowed down, if you compare the slower to the very fast cards.

Anders

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,403 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 28, 2010 11:37 |  #19

Anyone shooting in machine gun style and overunning the buffer, needs I think, a serious look at what and how they are shooting, more than the speed of the CF card.

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,177 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Sep 28, 2010 12:04 |  #20

artyman wrote in post #10994074 (external link)
Anyone shooting in machine gun style and overunning the buffer, needs I think, a serious look at what and how they are shooting, more than the speed of the CF card.

perhaps they need to do it for a project?

http://vimeo.com/96796​22 (external link)

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

nemesis47
358 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 28, 2010 12:17 |  #21

apersson850 wrote in post #10992719 (external link)
When shooting large RAW images, the 7D produces in excess of 200 MB/s, so it doesn't matter which card, that exists today, you use. They aren't fast enough anyway.

That's why the difference is in a few shots more or less before the camera slows down, and then quite a substantial difference in for how long it will be slowed down, if you compare the slower to the very fast cards.

+1.

Any card will let you do 8fps, until the buffer fills (which is about 15 images, if I remember right). The card determines what rate you can get after the buffer fills. The fastest available CF card (90MBps) will let you do about 4fps, while a 30MB/sec card will let you do slightly over 1fps (all assuming you shoot RAW). If the OP needs continuous non-stop shooting at 8fps RAW, there is no card in the market that I know of that can do it.

For video, all these cards are way faster than needed. Canon's DSLR video requires only about 6MBps.

70D | 50D | Tamron 17-50 VC | Canon 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/4L IS | 100 2.8 | 100-400 L | YN560ii

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 28, 2010 15:14 |  #22

nemesis47 wrote in post #10994332 (external link)
+1.

Any card will let you do 8fps, until the buffer fills (which is about 15 images, if I remember right). The card determines what rate you can get after the buffer fills. The fastest available CF card (90MBps) will let you do about 4fps, while a 30MB/sec card will let you do slightly over 1fps (all assuming you shoot RAW). If the OP needs continuous non-stop shooting at 8fps RAW, there is no card in the market that I know of that can do it.

For video, all these cards are way faster than needed. Canon's DSLR video requires only about 6MBps.

Unless he is shooting in mRAW or sRAW, at least in my camera the buffer holds a lot more at the lower resolutions.

Here is the buffer capacities I got with my 7D:

With Camera in MANUAL MODE:
ISO 100
f/2.8
1/500

RAW - 15
mRAW - 24
sRAW - 38

In JPG it went up to 94 for full resolution.

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 28, 2010 15:22 |  #23

artyman wrote in post #10994074 (external link)

Bobster wrote in post #10994241 (external link)
perhaps they need to do it for a project?

http://vimeo.com/96796​22 (external link)

Nice project ... shot at a blazing speed of 4 fps. some even done at slower rates.

How'd he do dat ?

It is shot on a Nikon D3 (and one shot on a D80), as a series of stills. I used my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 lenses for all of these shots. Most were shot at 4fps in DX crop mode, which is the fastest the D3 could continuously write out to the memory card. The boats had slower frame rates, and the night shots used exposures up to two seconds each. The camera actually has an automatic cut off after 130 shots, so for longer shots I counted each click and quickly released and re-pressed the shutter release after 130 to keep shooting.

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,177 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 28, 2010 17:08 |  #24

harcosparky wrote in post #10995485 (external link)
Nice project ... shot at a blazing speed of 4 fps. some even done at slower rates.

and the reason for shooting at that speed? camera could only write so fast..

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

spotz04
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 29, 2010 21:53 as a reply to  @ Bobster's post |  #25

If shooting JPEG medium fine, should there be any delay in the shutter's rate of speed, or a fluctuation in shutter speed burst rate, if the camera's Max Burst indicator says 99 shots and you stand there just holding down the shutter button while focused on a non-moving subject?

I received in one of the cards today (8 gig Sandisk 60 mb/s) and tried a few tests on a test subject (willing family member waving their arms), had it in AI Servo AF, just to see what this Max Burst is capable of doing.

At first the shutter clicked along without a hiccup, fired off 13 pics quickly in a constant rhythmic pattern. Second test there was a fluctuation in the rate of speed the shutter opened and closed. It would start out fast for ~7 or so shots and then decrease in speed for about 4-5 shots and then increase in speed again. I took several minutes in between tests just to make sure the buffer wasn't trying to dump a ton of files while it was also trying to write new files to the card, and also watching for the red busy light under the rear dial. Without a thought to wasting a boat load of more clicks on the shutter counter I decided to lay my finger on the shutter button this time while focused on a non-moving subject (my medium colored oak kitchen cabinets) and listened to the rate of speed definitely fluctuate fast, slow, fast, slow. Is this really normal?

Occasionally I shoot friends at baseball games pitching off the mound so I was wondering how that was going to go with the 7D being a speed daemon and all. Now I'm a bit worried. I figured since each pic's file size was small enough (~4 mb each) in this test then I shouldn't see any speed changes if max burst is telling me it can crank out 99 Jpegs fluidly.

nemesis47
358 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 29, 2010 22:04 |  #26

Second test there was a fluctuation in the rate of speed the shutter opened and closed. It would start out fast for ~7 or so shots and then decrease in speed for about 4-5 shots and then increase in speed again.

What mode was your camera on? If you were not in Tv or Manual, the exposure time could vary between shots. For some reason if the time is longer than the 125msec (changing light?), you will get slower frame rates. If you really want to test the card's performance, set camera to Tv or Manual with at most 1/8 second exposure (i.e. exposure should be shorter than 1/8 sec consistently).

70D | 50D | Tamron 17-50 VC | Canon 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/4L IS | 100 2.8 | 100-400 L | YN560ii

spotz04
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 29, 2010 22:14 |  #27

nemesis47 wrote in post #11004746 (external link)
What mode was your camera on? If you were not in Tv or Manual, the exposure time could vary between shots. For some reason if the time is longer than the 125msec (changing light?), you will get slower frame rates. If you really want to test the card's performance, set camera to Tv or Manual with at most 1/8 second exposure (i.e. exposure should be shorter than 1/8 sec consistently).

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention it was in TV mode during the tests. Tried at 1/500, 1/2500, and lastly at 1/60. I started out with my first 4 or so test at ISO 100, 1/500 speed, which is when I started to notice the fluctuation. Then progressively bumped the ISO up to 1600. We did some tests outside too right before dusk but there was plenty of light to get anywhere from f1.8 - f2.8 so AF would confirm with the fast shutter speed.

mmackwan
52 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 30, 2010 00:56 |  #28

Recently i went to airshow, i have 7d and was using 16gb sandisk 30mb/s card. when the f1-11 started doing fuel dump and burn i used the 8fps advantage and just keept the shutter pressed after a few seconds the buffer was full and it could no longer write to the card so i got a error for the card, i turned the camera off as i had no choice and lost all the images. i also have a 60mb/s sandisk and that works perfect.

1D MK IV,7D Grip, 24-105mm f4, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, 500mm f4 IS II, canon 580 & 430 EXII

wayne_eddy
Goldmember
1,931 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 30, 2010 05:19 |  #29

Andi 1969 wrote in post #10991783 (external link)
Lexar do a hi speed pro card which looks impressive, not sure how it stacks up again the Sandisk
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=hpNw5yVPhLg (external link)

The Lexar Pro writes at about 45mb/s ... the current SanDisks write and 30, 45 (Extreme IV), 60 and 90mb/s

wayne eddy
[I'm calibrated - are you?]
Gear List

wayne_eddy
Goldmember
1,931 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 30, 2010 05:40 |  #30

I shoot mainly wildlife and some stage photography.

Just two weeks ago, I was shooting in Full RAW only with my 7D and had my SanDisk 8GB Extreme III 30MB/s card installed. I have found that in the past, I have had a frustrating buffering issue with it that I rarely had with my 40D before that. The result is I miss more keepers at important times.

Having just checked through my burst rate of a shoot I was doing with bird that regularly returned to the same tree. I recall buffer overflow was a considerable issue for me on that day. I was firing bursts of 8 - 12 shots consecutively with shot pauses in between and several seconds later finding that the buffer had not cleared and could only get 2-3 shots out before it filled again and I got the ""busy" msg.

I was shooting at 1/250 through to 1/1250 consistantly at ISO400 - ISO800

30mb/s is not fast enough for that type of shooting. I'm in the market now for a new card and will be doubling the mb/s at least. The 90mb/s seen in the Sandisk range is very impressive, however unaffordable for me and I may have to stay with the mid-range 60mb/s.

wayne eddy
[I'm calibrated - are you?]
Gear List

sponsored links

6,591 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D owners - confused on CF card requirment
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.