Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 24 Sep 2010 (Friday) 13:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

USA Cycling Collegiate National Track Cycling Championships

Big ­ Hands
Goldmember
1,464 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 28, 2010 01:53 |  #16

Nice pics. I enjoy the vibe at collegiate cycling events and shooting them is always something I look forward to doing whenever I get the chance.
===============
Having two kids that are, or were, collegiate bike racers, I can tell you that things vary from school to school, but most schools don't help out their cycling teams all that much.

My daughter's collegiate cycling team used the races they put on as fund raisers to save up enough over a period of years to eventually buy a trailer similar to the one shown above, but considerably smaller (BTW, Fort Lewis is arguably the top collegiate cycling team in the country). Getting to Nationals when my daughter raced them (3 times) was partially subsidized (from team dues), but it still cost the individuals a fair amount to attend. Sponsorship can mean anything from cash to goods or services. They did get substantial discounts on bikes and parts from those sponsors. They had to reimburse the school for the use of vehicles they used that belonged to the school.

As for the kits, both of my kid's gear had/has several sponsors on them. The racers don't win money for race results or receive payment for results.

When my daughter was president of her cycling team, the school was attempting to collect money from the team (as I seem to recall, somewhere in the low five figures annually) to partially offset the salary of the administrator that was responsible for oversight of the team. He didn't really seem to actually do anything for them, just that since the school's name was used, they wanted to have someone make sure they (the cycling team) didn''t do anything that could harm the school. They did employ a coach for training and race oversight that was paid for by the team from dues or sponsorship money.

Regards,
Jeff

Canon 20D w/grip, 300D, Powershot SX100 w/HF-DC1 flash, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, 85 f/1.8, 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 50 f/1.8, 580EX and some other stuff...

sponsored links
rluu
80 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 30, 2010 02:07 |  #17

Another + for great panning, must have been tough.

Pbskis14
40 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 30, 2010 07:53 |  #18

Love the bike in #1

Nice shots

leandrofreda
56 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 30, 2010 08:37 |  #19

Really nice panning mate.

Leandro Freda
New website coming soon!
Facebook Page (external link)

DC ­ Fan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 30, 2010 20:00 |  #20

rluu wrote in post #11006040 (external link)
Another + for great panning, must have been tough.

With the slow shutter speed needed for convincing motion blur, it takes a lot of frames to get a few good ones. After a few years' experience and a few test frames at the event, you can figure out the shutter speed that will generate a decent yield. That speed depends on the target's motion across the frame and the distance to the target.

Interestingly enough, the motion blur effect might have been more convincing with a busier background, because there would have been more blurred detail to emphasize the illusion of movement. This velodrome had only a plain concrete apron as a background, which was still good for subject isolation that didn't depend on lens depth of field.

escapeartist
298 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 30, 2010 21:36 as a reply to  @ DC Fan's post |  #21

Awesome shots! Great job on the panning! Track racing is very very cool.

And yep, collegiate cycling is a club sport because there's pros racing with the amateurs in the top category, and lots of industry sponsors and local businesses helping the poor college kids out with discounts/pro deals in exchange for logo placement. I used to skip meals to try to get our pro deals, then sell the stuff at the end of the season for what I got it for (I wasn't at the top level getting free stuff obviously). The level of support for the cycling club/team varied by school like others mentioned, but that led to good shenanigans on race weekends, cause you're racing and roadtripping with the same kids from the same schools for 9 weekends in a row every spring, plus the mountain bike season in the fall. Good times ...

www.BrentDurand.com (external link)
on Instagram (external link)

rluu
80 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 04, 2010 01:38 |  #22

these shots are great!

zildjansg
334 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 04, 2010 02:21 |  #23

yagimax wrote in post #10974770 (external link)
Excellent panning for nice sharp pics!

+1 on the panning!

1D II
17-40 f4
28-70 2.8
70-200 2.8

prerunnerboy27
95 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 04, 2010 12:52 |  #24

Great shots! My friend races for Fort Lewis, So I was excited to see some coverage of the event!

-Keith
http://flickr.com/phot​os/28183861@N02/ (external link)
Canon 300D w/Canon BG-E3 50mmf/1.8, 2x Nikon sb-26, 2x ten foot calumet stands, ctr-103's
Doing what I can with what I got.

sponsored links

4,230 views & 0 likes for this thread
USA Cycling Collegiate National Track Cycling Championships
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.