Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 29 Sep 2010 (Wednesday) 21:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone carry 'protection' when out shooting?

this thread is locked
dontcallmeash
480 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 30, 2010 10:57 as a reply to  @ post 11006813 |  #46

i have a .45 USPc.

i have a CCW permit and i carry it, especially when i go out into the middle of nowhere for bike rides, hikes, or photography.

i've grown up around guns and have been hunting before i was old enough to drive. i honestly find it odd that people DON'T have guns.

sponsored links
picard
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 30, 2010 11:02 as a reply to  @ post 11005476 |  #47

I carry a few condoms for glamour shots just in case of emergency. :lol:

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II
Canon 70-200mm IS II L , Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, Canon macro 100mm F/2.8, 18-55mm kit
Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm, Sigma 50mm F/1.4
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 EX DG HSM

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Sep 30, 2010 11:15 |  #48

I think carrying a gun with you in the field when shooting, is a bad idea.

I have a carry permit, but I seldom carry with me. I shoot in some really nasty areas usually well into the night. However scary it can be, I've never had an instance where I felt the need to pull a gun (because as has been said, you don't pull it unless you intend to use it).

I do carry a knife in my camera bag, but that's because I'm of the old school rules, where a prepared person always has a knife with them.

Anyways, I'm not saying everyone shouldn't carry, just that I think it's ill-advised for every photographer to get the notion that they NEED to carry. As I said, with the right mindset, there is very little reason why you'd need to. A tripod is most likely a better defense tool than a gun when shooting out and about in dark, seedy areas of cities.

ottor
THREAD ­ STARTER
330 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 30, 2010 12:16 as a reply to  @ Todd Lambert's post |  #49

I absolutely respect everybody’s opinion on guns vs ‘not’guns … but to keep this thread from getting closed, let’s keep away from a ‘gun debate’ – you’re certainly not going to change anybody’s mind about the issue, and it’s a sure way to get this pulled and closed..

I just wanted to know if anyone else had a weapon with them when they go out shooting.. What I didn’t consider is the demographics of our group… not everyone lives in a city that’s in an isolated area like I do.. and I should have expected a complete different response from someone living in NYC apartment.. sorry for not thinking before posting .. Just thought it was a story worth sharing, and it certainly is photography related, as it was only a coincidence that I was GeoCaching instead of shooting pics, which I do more often than not in that area..

People who live in our type of community need to fear more than just the ‘deliverence’ type’s in the world – the prettier the country gets, the more the Bears like it too… ;)

Rick

There's nothing more exciting than to be shot at............... and missed! ... Then, you're alive like you've never been before..

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 30, 2010 12:44 |  #50

Absolutely I carry!!! .... bear spray when I'm shooting in the wild...

Otherwise, I live in a country where I've never heard of a photog getting attacked for his gear (I'm not saying it doesn't happen...I just haven't heard of it, though I talk to a lot of shooters and am on a few message boards)...

I'll stay happy and gun-free in Canada, thank you very much :)

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

scubadaddy
83 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 30, 2010 17:07 |  #51

I have enjoyed target and skeet shooting in the past but I am not a carrier. The whole idea of carrying any protection is very foreign to me. I'm not a soldier or a police officer and I try very hard to stay out of trouble.

Just my 2 cents

Canon T1i - EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS - EF 50mm f1.8 II - Canon 580EX II

Ultimate
86 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 30, 2010 20:48 |  #52

yogestee wrote in post #11007500 (external link)
I'm thinking, what kind of world do you live in if you won't go out armed:rolleyes:

The real one.

JerryO
73 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 30, 2010 20:52 as a reply to  @ scubadaddy's post |  #53

CCW holder here and I carry all the time if I am shooting (pictures) or not. I dont see any reason to seperate theae two parts of my life. I also always have a knife on me also but it is more of a tool than for protection.50D + G27 = good day.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 30, 2010 20:53 |  #54

Ultimate wrote in post #11011439 (external link)
The real one.

So you're say people who live in Europe, Asia and Australia for example live in a fantasy world because they don't carry guns or have no need to carry guns??

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Ultimate
86 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 30, 2010 20:58 |  #55

yogestee wrote in post #11011472 (external link)
So you're say people who live in Europe, Asia and Australia for example live in a fantasy world because they don't carry guns or have no need to carry guns??

I answered your initial question and will not continue after this because this WILL turn into an argument. This is all I will say: anything can happen anywhere at anytime.

sabianq
292 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 30, 2010 21:13 |  #56

a slab of raw meat might be a good weapon for stoping a pack of dogs...

or maybe keeping a dog bisquit or 2 in the spare unused pocket..

then again i wouldent want the drug/bomb sniffing dogs paying to much attention to my bag because of a milk bone.....

Enjoy the Silence, it does not come very often...
Brian Larson
Datsbrian@Gmail.com (external link)
(Creative Solutions & Paradox pix) (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,189 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 30, 2010 21:14 |  #57

yogestee wrote in post #11011472 (external link)

And we're off and running. The timer to thread locking has been engaged. Step one has been initiated: posts with nothing to do with photography and heading into politics.

Website (external link) |

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,204 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Sep 30, 2010 21:26 |  #58

sabianq wrote in post #11011591 (external link)
a slab of raw meat might be a good weapon for stoping a pack of dogs...

or maybe keeping a dog bisquit or 2 in the spare unused pocket..

then again i wouldent want the drug/bomb sniffing dogs paying to much attention to my bag because of a milk bone.....

Actually a cloth with a few drops of the urine of a female in heat works best to distract any male canine. You can keep it in a little baggie in your camera bag.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

sabianq
292 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 30, 2010 21:30 |  #59

RDKirk wrote in post #11011671 (external link)
Actually a cloth with a few drops of the urine of a female in heat works best to distract any male canine. You can keep it in a little baggie in your camera bag.

wait.. does this really work?

what if its a pack of pissed off bitc@3$?

Brian Larson

sabianq
292 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 30, 2010 21:32 |  #60

what a photo op..
bunch of confused dogs fighting over the bag of urine hidden at the bottom of your crumpler..

hmmm.

Brian Larson

sponsored links

7,620 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone carry 'protection' when out shooting?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.