Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 27 Sep 2010 (Monday) 22:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

F-stop Loka looks like a winner

brian-socal
101 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 29, 2010 10:25 |  #16

It really looks like a great bag. If I wasn't MUCH taller than average, I would certainly have given them a try.

My Photos (external link)

sponsored links
JohnJ80
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 29, 2010 10:56 |  #17

Then you ought to look at their TIlopa or Satori. I believe they are longer yet in the height dimension.

While of average height, I do have along torso so I need to get backpacks that are designed for tall people. For that reason, I can't get a Think Tank Photo backpack to work for me. These do, FWIW.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

gixxer
Goldmember
2,035 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 29, 2010 17:21 |  #18

jdizzle wrote in post #11000285 (external link)
^Nice color Daniel. Have you been out with the bag yet?

Not yet, I'll let you guys know how it does once I've had an outing with it.

brian-socal wrote in post #11000595 (external link)
It really looks like a great bag. If I wasn't MUCH taller than average, I would certainly have given them a try.

I'm 6' 3", although I haven't really been "out" with the pack yet it seems to fit me really well.

Daniel
flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |ImageCarolina.net (external link)

brian-socal
101 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 29, 2010 17:28 |  #19

gixxer wrote in post #11003215 (external link)
I'm 6' 3", although I haven't really been "out" with the pack yet it seems to fit me really well.

Yeah, but I've got another 7" on ya. The guys at REI run away whenever I walk into the backpack area. No joke.

supra8903
174 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 30, 2010 09:56 |  #20

I talked w/ f-stop today.... here are a few quick notes from them....

-We have a very select few Loka's left.... Just so you know we are also completely out of the Medium ICU's. We will be getting plenty more ICU's and Lokas in the next 45 days.

- The rain cover comes seperately and costs $19. It will available with our next shipment as well.

Joseph Jeram
---------------
Nikon D700, 24-70 f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 105mm f2.8

JohnJ80
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 30, 2010 14:09 |  #21

brian-socal wrote in post #11003242 (external link)
Yeah, but I've got another 7" on ya. The guys at REI run away whenever I walk into the backpack area. No joke.

Think "custom made".

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

Fstop-Ian
329 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 30, 2010 21:07 as a reply to  @ JohnJ80's post |  #22

If anyone has any questions about the bags and functions, just let me know, we are working on some video tutorials right now that are explaining all the details. Not sure when it will be ready but hopefully soon.

If you have support related questions regarding F-Stop Gear, please email an@fstopgear.com (external link) or visit www.fstopgear.com (external link)

brian-socal
101 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 30, 2010 21:49 as a reply to  @ Fstop-Ian's post |  #23

Ian,

Not trying to hijack the thread...but it really looks like you've got some nice bags. As I mentioned above, I'd love to pick one up some time if I thought they would fit. A few thoughts for accommodating taller guys:

The Kelty MAP 3500 Tactical pack (my current pack, works like a charm) is a 3 day pack with a couple of great features.

http://tactical.amroni​ntl.com …ID=5056&industr​y=tactical (external link)

1) The waist belt is removable. As a tall guy, sometimes it's just easier to get rid of the waist belt altogether. On the MAP 3500, it's held on behind the back padding with a serious wad of velcro. Works great.

2) The shoulder straps adjust on the bottom of the strap as well as the top of the strap. It's a pretty interesting system that I hadn't seen before. It makes it so that the pack, if using the waist belt, can sit where it needs to on my waist, and still have padding on the shoulders where it should be. It's clever. You can see some pictures of the top adjustment at:

http://edcforums.com …-3500-Review.-56k-suicide (external link)

Start at about the 4th picture or so to see the strap mechanism.

3) Make the internal frame removable and re-bendable. On the MAP 3500 you can pull out the metal strips and reconfigure to your needs. I've got it set up pretty well on mine.

I'm currently using my Kelty with a Pacsafe and/or Mountainsmith Camera Cube depending on how much gear I need to schlep, but I might seriously look at the ICU at some time in the future.

Just some thoughts...

stickshift
533 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 30, 2010 22:51 as a reply to  @ brian-socal's post |  #24

Nice bag....actually tried to order one today, but the order didn't go through at the payment step even with different credit cards. Anyone else have that problem?

7D, 5D mark II
17-40, 24-70 II, 70-200 f/4 IS, Zeiss 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 400/5.6

opianstate
328 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 30, 2010 23:05 as a reply to  @ stickshift's post |  #25

I got mine yesterday.....here's some more pics if you're in for a comparison, next to a Tilopa:

IMAGE: http://imgur.com/2ubC4.jpg

IMAGE: http://imgur.com/wd9K3.jpg

IMAGE: http://imgur.com/1bETw.jpg

IMAGE: http://imgur.com/RaBOi.jpg

IMAGE: http://imgur.com/9rzsj.jpg

My only gripe about the Loka is the fact the laptop "sleeve" really isn't substantial at all...it holds my ancient 13" MacBook, but won't fit my 15" MacBook Pro - at all. I wouldn't consider it a true laptop sleeve - but that's just my opinion. It might be ok for you 13" laptop users but it's definitely not as useful as the "real" laptop sleeve in the Tilopa. I know it's advertised as an "unpadded sleeve", (read: not not laptop specific), but still would be nice to know which laptops would fit it, if any.

Love doing business with this company - they make awesome gear and have good people working for them - which means great support.

prodigy ­ photos
179 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 30, 2010 23:23 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

where's the RED ONE? lol.. i'd like to a chance to get at that color-way..

Gear: I Canon EOS 60D I Canon 50mm f1.8 I Canon 550EX Flash I CANON 24-105L f/4 I CANON 17-40L f/4
Flickr (external link)

82NoMe
Goldmember
2,268 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2008

Oct 01, 2010 00:32 as a reply to  @ prodigy photos's post |  #27

opianstate- Thanks for the photos. I have a Tilopa and really like it. I'd like a Loka as well.

Cheers... jim

gisk
177 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 01, 2010 02:34 |  #28

Very disappointed. Loka arrived at my house midweek, but I'm a college student. Just drove home from college for the weekend to pick it up. I open it and it's the wrong color. Waited four months for this? Weekend is officially ruined.

Gear | Blog (external link)

gixxer
Goldmember
2,035 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 01, 2010 03:47 |  #29

gisk wrote in post #11012926 (external link)
Very disappointed. Loka arrived at my house midweek, but I'm a college student. Just drove home from college for the weekend to pick it up. I open it and it's the wrong color. Waited four months for this? Weekend is officially ruined.

What color did you order/get? When I first saw mine I thought I had gotten the wrong color for a second because I was expecting it to be more "greenish" but it looks more "grayish" to me. Regardless I still like it.

Daniel
flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |ImageCarolina.net (external link)

gisk
177 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 01, 2010 04:46 |  #30

gixxer wrote in post #11013069 (external link)
What color did you order/get? When I first saw mine I thought I had gotten the wrong color for a second because I was expecting it to be more "greenish" but it looks more "grayish" to me. Regardless I still like it.

Ordered Foliage Green but got Grey Mist. Double-checked the tag to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. Definitely not what I ordered!

Gear | Blog (external link)

sponsored links

169,258 views & 1 like for this thread
F-stop Loka looks like a winner
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.