Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Sep 2010 (Wednesday) 07:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

FA-DC58B Filter Adapter for Canon G12 Digital Cameras

thedesigner2008
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 29, 2010 07:06 |  #1

This is the new filter adapter for the G12 which I believe is backwards compatible with the G11 and perhaps other models too. I’m a little surprised that it has received no mention on this forum so far.
I recently took my G11 out to a beach to photograph some statues when the wind was blowing 30+ knots and sand blowing everywhere. Needless to say, the odd grain or two of sand found its way behind the lens covers which was subsequently vacuumed out.
Hopefully, this new filter adapter will provide some much needed protection for the front lens element and allow the use of other filters when needed. My daughters G9 has just failed with its lens in the open position and it makes me wonder if, after some 20,000 miles of travelling, she would have benefited from this type of protection too.

sponsored links
racketman
Cream of the Crop
21,602 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 29, 2010 08:39 |  #2

I recently gave a G6 to a friend, I held back the Hyundai lens adaptor in case it would fit the G12 when I buy one, do you know if it will?

Toby
Canon 5D MKIV & 90D
Olympus EM-1 MKII
Flickr collections (external link)
Gear

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 29, 2010 13:28 as a reply to  @ racketman's post |  #3

I notice this new filter adapter also, but have found very little information on it, or anyone discussing it. I think most folks with a G10/G11 have already found a filter solution through Lensmate or clones. It looks like the new Canon adapter somehow moves with the lens, and eliminates the vignetting issues. However, I'm not certain it is compatible with the G11 lens (or G10).

Dennis

BobsYourUncle
Goldmember
1,532 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 29, 2010 14:55 as a reply to  @ denncald's post |  #4

You mention "This is the new filter adapter" but I am not seeing a a picture or a link.

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

thedesigner2008
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 29, 2010 15:15 |  #5

BobsYourUncle wrote in post #11002322 (external link)
You mention "This is the new filter adapter" but I am not seeing a a picture or a link.

Sorry for the lack of picture but I had asumed most people would "google" it.

The following link provides some good shots - http://www.pocket-lint.com …hot-g12-exclusive-gallery (external link)

Michael ­ Barkowski
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 29, 2010 15:16 |  #6

There is a picture of it here:
http://www.pocket-lint.com …ot-g12-first-look/6#image (external link)

It doesn't seem to be available yet. I'm very interested to know if it works with the G11, since I have not bought any adapters for my G11 yet.

Flickr Sets - including Canon G11 (external link)

thedesigner2008
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 29, 2010 15:26 |  #7

Michael Barkowski wrote in post #11002459 (external link)
There is a picture of it here:
http://www.pocket-lint.com …ot-g12-first-look/6#image (external link)

It doesn't seem to be available yet. I'm very interested to know if it works with the G11, since I have not bought any adapters for my G11 yet.

Michael - I emailed my dealer and he checked with Canon so he's ordered it for me. £49 here in UK but I also have Lensmate adapters on the way which were despatched yesterday. Looking at the G12, it still uses the same adapters as previous models so I had naturally assumed that in order to do so, the new adapter must be backward compatible.

I'm hoping that both will provide good protection from dust and fine sand. The new Canon adapter is due for availability from next week and I'm eager to see if there is a good seal between the static and moving part. If not, its going back!

Michael ­ Barkowski
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 29, 2010 15:49 |  #8

Adorama lists it as being designed for Powershot G10, G11, G12: http://www.adorama.com​/ICAFADC58B.html (external link)

This might save me a bundle - being able to buy a 58mm polarizer instead of 72 or 77mm.

Flickr Sets - including Canon G11 (external link)

John ­ Baker
480 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 30, 2010 07:36 |  #9

That looks like a must have adaptor, neat and small and does the trick…

John Baker
Canon 1D Mk III plus IIN, G11, Siggy 12-24, Nifty Fifty, 24-105L, 35-350L, 400L, Tamron 180 Macro, EX430/550/580 & ST-E2

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 30, 2010 08:49 as a reply to  @ John Baker's post |  #10

It's listed on Amazon for $39 with free shipping, but no image for it, and it's not available yet.

http://www.amazon.com …tal-Cameras/dp/B0041RSPSW (external link)

Dennis

CarloY
681 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 30, 2010 18:34 as a reply to  @ denncald's post |  #11

Hopefully, this new filter adapter will provide some much needed protection for the front lens element and allow the use of other filters when needed.

I would say that's a good idea. It will also help protect the cover slats on the front of the lens.

I use a lens adapter on my G9 and kept it on all the time. If I use my smaller camera case, I separate the adapter and can store both bare G9 and the tube in the case. Mount the adapter whenever needed.

As for the new G12 adapter, I am skeptical (from the pictures on the link). It seems the G12 lens would have to bump and push the extension tube out when zooming. Probably you have to manually collapse the adapter extension?

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

Scuff
520 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 01, 2010 03:07 |  #12

CarloY wrote in post #11010609 (external link)
I would say that's a good idea. It will also help protect the cover slats on the front of the lens.

I use a lens adapter on my G9 and kept it on all the time. If I use my smaller camera case, I separate the adapter and can store both bare G9 and the tube in the case. Mount the adapter whenever needed.

As for the new G12 adapter, I am skeptical (from the pictures on the link). It seems the G12 lens would have to bump and push the extension tube out when zooming. Probably you have to manually collapse the adapter extension?

I seem to remember reading that it is lightly spring loaded, therefore is moves with the lens, and returns with the springs.

Scuff
Canon EOS 1Dx II, M5, XF400: 16-35 f4Lis, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8Lis III, 70-300 f4/5.6Lis, Sigma 150-600 Sport, 600ex-RT (3x), ST-E3 RT.
My flickr page (external link)

gmikol
272 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 09, 2010 00:37 |  #13

I can't tell...this mounts to the adapter ring on the body like a Lensmate, or is it a press-fit onto the lens barrel? I'd be concerned about using a heavy TC if it mounts to the barrel...or for that matter, shooting towards the ground if it's "lightly spring loaded".

--Greg

Geodude
55 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 17, 2010 15:11 as a reply to  @ gmikol's post |  #14

Hi - has anyone tried the Canon Filter Adapter FA-DC58B combination with the G11 ????!!! Just wondered what it looks like attached and whether it works fine? Thanks in advance....Geo:D

zhengf2
285 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 17, 2010 17:18 |  #15

Is it even out yet...still on pre-order from Amazon

sponsored links

12,967 views & 0 likes for this thread
FA-DC58B Filter Adapter for Canon G12 Digital Cameras
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.