Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 01 Oct 2010 (Friday) 12:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PR Questions

helloagain36
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 01, 2010 12:02 |  #1

Not sure if this belongs here or if I should post it over in the business forum...but I figure someone here will have some useful input as well.

I was recently contacted by a PR representative from a winery that I recently shot a wedding at. They would like to have copies of a few of my images from the wedding for their website.

I've never dealt with a situation like this, how would this typically be handled? I am assuming that there are a few ways to go about this.

#1. I could charge them for each shot since they will be using them for marketing purposes.

#2. I could give the shots to them and attempt to work out some form of business relationship in terms of being their exclusive event photographer. (Discounted reception booking rates if the couple uses me as their photographer)

#3. A combination of the top two scenarios

Also, I am assuming that I should contact the bride and groom to let them know the situation, despite the fact that I do have verbage in my contact about retaining rights to use my photos however I wish.

I would appreciate any insight on the best way to handle a situation like this. Are there any steps or processes that I should do to make sure that I cover myself?...and finally how would I price something like this? (if I were to choose to sell them the photos.) I have always thought of pricing in terms of packages and not so much individual pictures...especially those that will be used for marketing on a company website...so this is a bit new for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Dave

-Dave

sponsored links
jblaschke
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 01, 2010 12:33 |  #2

A good number of wedding photographers will provide select, relevant prints to vendors from a particular wedding in order to generate goodwill, network and spur referrals. If you provide them with images, I'd recommend placing your logo on the image in a tasteful manner, and establish parameters with the vendor on acceptable usage.

Some will be appreciative, and you've made a friend and potential additional sales. Some will not care, as they see it as "only photography." You'll have to weigh it on a case-by-case basis.

Canon 7D | Canon 50D IR modified | Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8 IS L | Canon FD 500mm 8.0 Reflex | Canon EF 85mm 1.8 | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 mk I | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Meade 645 (762mm f/5)
Model Mayhem (external link) | DeviantArt (external link) | Lisa On Location: New Braunfels Photography (external link)

caught14
194 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 01, 2010 13:24 as a reply to  @ jblaschke's post |  #3

Sounds like a great opportunity to have your work showcased on their website. I'd float them a couple of your favorite images for free. (It's not like at web resolution they could print anything anyways.) In the event they wanted a couple prints I would gladly give them a couple. It costs you virtually nothing to market yourself, and often times these little favors can go a long way in terms of how people view you.

Establishing good working relationships with different wedding vendors is always a good idea. I never pass on an opportunity to network and help out other wedding vendors. These are simple things that only help your business grow...at a minimum you will get a good reputation.

You can let the bride and groom know if you want, but you aren't obligated to if you've got a good contract in place. Most brides would be flattered to hear that their wedding is going to be included on someone's website.

Colling Photography (external link)
Cameras & Lenses - Canon 5DMkII x 3 | 30D | 24
L | 35L | 45 TS | 50L | 85IIL | 135L | 16-35IIL | 24-105L | 70-200L
www.collingphotogaller​y.com (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 01, 2010 14:16 |  #4

Everyone here will say the same thing because it's such a valuable driver of word of mouth. Absolutely let them have the images. There just needs to be an understanding that you will be properly credited for them. Also, in exchange, you will greatly appreciate their referal of prospects.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 02, 2010 07:20 |  #5

I'd give them several photos, both in web resolution and prints as well, in a folder or album some kind, with a few of your business cards and contact info inside. If you do just make sure the web photos are watermarked and they provide q,link to your website.

It's always a giod idea ti give the venue some photos.

Twitter (external link)
Hobart Wedding Photography (external link)
I have some camera stuff. Here it is.

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 02, 2010 16:28 |  #6

I give venues and vendors free prints with no strings attached, at least none that are required. If it's for display I ask to put a small logo on them, if it's for advertising I ask for image credit.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 02, 2010 17:47 |  #7

I would give them to them in exchange for photo credit. A little favor like that can really pay off in the long run. It's not like they asked you to come photograph their place in exchange for photo credit. Lots of places will do that, and I would NOT do it. But you were already there shooting a wedding and it is no skin off your nose to give them the pics. I'd go for it.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 02, 2010 19:01 |  #8

I have seen prints hanging in places just like that with a business card holder beneath them. I am not a pro, but if I was, I'd not only give them prints, but I would show up with them framed, meet with the owners and let them choose what they wanted, handg it where they pleased, and p ut my cards beneath them. On the web, logo with web URL. No charge. (I know restaurant owners and when a good photog does that they do refer. Just a guess that the winery would do that too). Congrats on getting the request.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

helloagain36
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 02, 2010 19:17 as a reply to  @ S.Horton's post |  #9

Hey all,

I just worked things out with them. I'll be sending some tastefully watermarked images and a handful of business cards, she also said that she would credit me specifically on their website. Bride and Groom are thrilled to have their shots featured... Alls good in the neighborhood :)

Thanks for the replies!!

-Dave

-Dave

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 02, 2010 19:36 |  #10

Great to hear things are working out for you.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 03, 2010 01:28 |  #11

Great! That's probably the best thing to do.

Twitter (external link)
Hobart Wedding Photography (external link)
I have some camera stuff. Here it is.

mltn
353 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 03, 2010 02:12 |  #12

Did you have them sign a license agreement? Anything? You just gave away a handful of cash. You could have had the marketing AND the money from this.

Unless you are really starving for work, I would highly frown upon giving away work that is going to be used for somebody else's advertising. They are making money from your pictures. You aren't.

You might get business from this, which technically is more money, but it's also more work. You need to make the images you've already shot continue to work for you, any chance you get.

I would have licensed any photos to them for say, a year, at a set price. Or even at a year for free, then after the year has passed you can go them and ask for something, or not allow them to use the pictures.

Pricing on this really depends on what they can afford to give you. If you negotiate a payment, you can certainly negotiate terms such as them crediting you, and providing a link to your site. Remember, in this situation, you can have your cake and eat it too.

If this comes up in the future, absolutely charge per image, and absolutely write up a contract that states exactly where and what the images can be used for, and for how long.

I bought John Harrington's business of photography book after I graduated with a degree in photography, and I learned more in a week about the business side of things, than I did in four years. He also has a blog worth reading: http://photobusinessfo​rum.blogspot.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,762 views & 0 likes for this thread
PR Questions
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.