Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 29 Sep 2010 (Wednesday) 23:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cowboy Studios Strobe Softbox - STAY AWAY

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 01, 2010 16:18 |  #46
bannedPermanent ban

Hermes wrote in post #11015962 (external link)
...you buy electronics from a company called cowboy studios and you're surprised that the quality is lacking?

LOL :lol:bw!

Regards
Paul L.

sponsored links
ihaveat1i
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 01, 2010 17:02 |  #47

MR do little wrote in post #11016339 (external link)
LOL :lol:bw!

Yeh, I know, but it being in Dallas TX, it seems fitting. :oops:

Canon 7D, G11, 15-85, 28-135, and 50 1.4

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Oct 01, 2010 17:33 |  #48

I drove by their offices about a half hour ago. It wasn't on fire, so maybe they don't eat their own dog food, per se?

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 02, 2010 00:29 as a reply to  @ Todd Lambert's post |  #49

I am also looking for an entry level strobe kit and looked at the Cowboy sets. I am sorry for your misfortune, but thankful that you posted this info.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 02, 2010 08:44 |  #50

Todd Lambert wrote in post #11016722 (external link)
I drove by their offices about a half hour ago. It wasn't on fire, so maybe they don't eat their own dog food, per se?

If you are not planning to push the strobes very hard such as taking some pics here and there for Ebay they might never overheat. The problem is very much like with computer PSU's all the cheap stuff is overrated where the mid to high end is often underrated to prevent early failure. But having a CEO who could care less about customers makes everything and anything sold by Cowboy Studios totally not worth buying.

As word travels across the internet this one incident will end up becoming a PR nightmare that puts them out of business forever.

jrscls
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 03, 2010 07:06 |  #51

Buy a set of Alien Bees and enjoy a great product at a reasonable price with OUTSTANDING customer service.

Fujifilm X-T3, 16mm f/1.4, 23mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 56mm f/1.2, 80mm f/2.8 OIS Macro, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 OIS, 1.4x TC, Flashpoint R2 Strobes/Flashes

mickeyjuice
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 03, 2010 14:15 |  #52
bannedPermanent ban

jrscls wrote in post #11024338 (external link)
Buy a set of Alien Bees and enjoy a great product at a reasonable price with OUTSTANDING customer service.

There's a reason they have had to hone their customer service...

cheers, juice (Canon shooter, Elinchrom lighter, but pretty much agnostic on brands.)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 03, 2010 14:27 |  #53

mickeyjuice wrote in post #11025813 (external link)

I've been saying that for a long time but typically when I voice that opinion I'm attacked by the alien sheep. Uh oh, I can see the flames coming.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

mickeyjuice
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 03, 2010 14:29 |  #54
bannedPermanent ban

TMR Design wrote in post #11025846 (external link)
I've been saying that for a long time but typically when I voice that opinion I'm attacked by the alien sheep. Uh oh, I can see the flames coming.

Yep, been there, done that, got that hat. But I tell myself at least I've tried :-)

Seriously, at least the newbies have been warned, even if they haven't done their research, which would warn them anyway.

cheers, juice (Canon shooter, Elinchrom lighter, but pretty much agnostic on brands.)

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 03, 2010 17:26 |  #55

Yeah, and a Ford isn't a Mercedes. I get that. However, I get a little irritated when someone that can afford a Mercedes tries to come over and pee in my Cheerios because I happen to drive a Ford to get me back and forth to work. Show me a better AND cheaper (or at least similarly priced) option and I'll thank you for it. Seankzy actually took the time to show me that with Elincrom, and I'm adding them to the list of options. However, those that appear to just snipe at a brand seem petty rather than helpful, and I'll eventually start tuning them out unless they give reasons why their preferred product can meet my needs (technical and financial) better than another brand.

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

pantherphotos
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 03, 2010 23:49 |  #56

mickeyjuice wrote in post #11025813 (external link)

I've been thinking about getting some AB's. Maybe I will have to research what you may be referring to here.

Eric
Canon EOS 1D MkIIn | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | 70 - 200 f/2.8L | 50 f/1.8 II | 2x YN560 flash
My Blog: http://pantherphotogra​phy.wordpress.com/ (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

vid1900
557 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 04, 2010 00:44 |  #57

jrscls wrote in post #11024338 (external link)

That is true.

Go to your local rental shop and ask the guys how they like the AB. They'll tell you that they like them because they are durable and the flash tubes are cheap to replace.

Everybody online has some brand that is their favorite (Ford is SOOOO much better than Chevy...LOL), but the rental houses stock only what can hold up in the rental environment and thus continue to make them money.

No bragging list - I just rent whatever the job requires.

mickeyjuice
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 04, 2010 01:14 |  #58
bannedPermanent ban

pantherphotos wrote in post #11028771 (external link)
I've been thinking about getting some AB's. Maybe I will have to research what you may be referring to here.

Do the maths, and you'll find the ABs aren't really any cheaper than the Elinchrom D-Lites, even down here in Australia. Also look at the Genesis lights from {edit} Calumet - they have Eli fittings so you're buying into a system you can expand.

J ­ Kacey
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 04, 2010 01:26 |  #59

vid1900 wrote in post #11028970 (external link)
Go to your local rental shop and ask the guys how they like the AB. They'll tell you that they like them because they are durable and the flash tubes are cheap to replace.

Your local rental shop rents Bee's? Where do you live?

Kacey Enterprises (external link)

vid1900
557 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 04, 2010 02:27 |  #60

J Kacey wrote in post #11029118 (external link)
Your local rental shop rents Bee's? Where do you live?

You can get them anywhere, you don't have to live in my neighborhood:

http://www.lensrentals​.com …/strobes/alien-bees-ab800 (external link)

http://aperturent.com …ts/49/Rent-AlienBees-B800 (external link)

http://www.borrowlense​s.com/product/abr800 (external link)

http://www.mediapeeps.​com/equipmentrental.ht​ml (external link)

http://www.archinalcam​erarepair.com/equipmen​trental.htm (external link)

http://www.dallascamer​a.com/files/LightingRe​ntal.pdf (external link)

Locally, depending on your account volume, they are less than $5 a day. No reason not to try before you buy.

If you ever sell them, you will get 90% of what you paid. It's crazy how much they go for used, might as well buy new with the 10% student discount.

No bragging list - I just rent whatever the job requires.

sponsored links

20,053 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cowboy Studios Strobe Softbox - STAY AWAY
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.