Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 03 Oct 2010 (Sunday) 01:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post Production Training

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 03, 2010 01:46 |  #1

Where can I learn how to really get good with post production? I've read books and even done Linda.com videos, so I know what most everything does. I just am not good at it, I don't know how much of this and how much of that, and setting one setting by itself I can manage but how much of them all together to make an amazing image is beyond me.

When I look at an image, I can figure out the obvious things that need to be fixed like white balance, exposure, and some curves, but even those at times I feel like I am chasing my tail. Most of the time I feel like I am just guessing.

I am really bad at post production and I want to get really good. How do I do that?

I use LR3 99% of the time and rarely go into Photoshop, I would like to master what I can do w/ LR3 and then deal with more advanced stuff in PS later.

5D III, 24-105mm f/4 L, 135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 580EX II
Full Gear List
Flickr Photostream (external link)

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 03, 2010 01:53 |  #2

Develop a consistent, repeatable workflow...

For the basics, always (try to) do things in the exact same order.

People get distracted by wanting to work image by image and try a little tweak here, or try a little tweak there but meanwhile, they miss obvious things like crooked horizons, dust spots, etc...

You don't become an expert by doing 12,000 things. You become an expert by doing 12 things 10,000 times! ;)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Saxi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 03, 2010 02:50 |  #3

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #11023810 (external link)
Develop a consistent, repeatable workflow...

For the basics, always (try to) do things in the exact same order.

People get distracted by wanting to work image by image and try a little tweak here, or try a little tweak there but meanwhile, they miss obvious things like crooked horizons, dust spots, etc...

You don't become an expert by doing 12,000 things. You become an expert by doing 12 things 10,000 times! ;)

I typically do things in the same order, I just haven't found out a consistent workflow that gives me great results. I do very little PP and 85%+ of my images I do none.

Full Gear List

tim
Light Bringer
50,986 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 03, 2010 03:55 |  #4

Workflow. Books.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

HankScorpio
Goldmember
2,700 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 03, 2010 07:26 |  #5

You just need time. You can't learn to create high quality work overnight. You have to do it over and over and over again.

My collection of boxes with holes (external link)
EXIF semper intacta.
Gort! Klaatu barada nikto.

Saxi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 03, 2010 10:46 |  #6

I've read a few of them books already, and I have reasonable workflow. What I really want to get good at is how much or how little of each slider to use, when one over another. I know what all the sliders are for and how they affect an image, but putting it all together and actually making a big difference on an image just isn't happening.

Full Gear List

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 03, 2010 10:50 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #7

Saxi--- I have a background in education and sales training. We all have different learning styles which work the best for us. Maybe you're the type who responds best to live interactive help, like you would get from a small night school class, a multi-day training seminar, or from club activities. I've done all of these and they work better than boring books and videos..

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

Saxi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 03, 2010 11:02 |  #8

ChasP505 wrote in post #11025013 (external link)
Saxi--- I have a background in education and sales training. We all have different learning styles which work the best for us. Maybe you're the type who responds best to live interactive help, like you would get from a small night school class, a multi-day training seminar, or from club activities. I've done all of these and they work better than boring books and videos..

I tried hiring a local photographer to help me with it from the studio I shoot at, but didn't seem interested. I read Adobe Photoshop CS4 for Photographers, but I didn't find the section on post processing all that helpful outside of really telling you what everything is for. Plus I use LR not PS for 99% of what I do. I've looked for local classes, but there really isn't much in this area (New Hampshire) that I found.

I have the general understand down but actually taking an ok image and making it something great I just can't do. Shooting raw, most images come out just ok without any work.

Full Gear List

squashed
Goldmember
4,159 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 03, 2010 11:14 |  #9

Have you considered joining NAPP ?

http://www.photoshopus​er.com/benefits (external link)

Here is Kloskowski's lightroom site too..

http://lightroomkiller​tips.com/ (external link)

Done with Numbers. Own the X and the R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 03, 2010 11:22 |  #10

Saxi wrote in post #11025052 (external link)
Plus I use LR not PS for 99% of what I do.

And so do most of the members of the local club I used to belong to. The club had regular meetings which included a presentation on PP techniques.

I've looked for local classes, but there really isn't much in this area (New Hampshire) that I found.

Jeez... you're talking to someone who lives in a vast desert! Does NH have a PPA (Pro Photographers Association)? The NM PPA offers vast resources and organizes many activities.

http://www.nhppa.com/m​eeting-schedule.html (external link)

I have the general understand down but actually taking an ok image and making it something great I just can't do.

Some of us are artists, some of us are technicians... I long ago realized that I'm NOT an artist! :lol:

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

scrumpy
Goldmember
3,664 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 03, 2010 11:23 |  #11

I have the general understand down but actually taking an ok image and making it something great I just can't do. Shooting raw, most images come out just ok without any work.

I suspect you are lacking a little in the confidence department. Why not post a couple of images; say what you think they are lacking and let the guys here work on them. I'll bet in two minutes flat they'll produce what you are looking for, and tell you how they did it.

David: Canon EOS 400D - Canon EF70-300mm f/4-55.6 IS USM -Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 DC Macro - Sigma 50-500 'Bigma' - Speedlite 580EX 11 - Better Beamer
Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy ;)

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 03, 2010 11:28 |  #12

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish then using the appropriate tools and methods for the task. While Lightroom is an extremely capable tool it cannot replace or substitute for Photoshop. If you want to really do radical transformations you need Photoshop since you cannot select at the pixel-level in Lightroom.

I know many would disagree with me but that's my opinion based on using Photoshop for over 15 years and Lightroom since beta.

Gear List

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 03, 2010 13:00 |  #13

Saxi wrote in post #11023799 (external link)
Where can I learn how to really get good with post production?

Practice a lot and learn from your mistakes.
Have someone else look at your finished images to get feedback from the "outside". Make sure they are critical.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Saxi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 03, 2010 14:09 |  #14

squashed wrote in post #11025080 (external link)
Have you considered joining NAPP ?

http://www.photoshopus​er.com/benefits (external link)

Here is Kloskowski's lightroom site too..

http://lightroomkiller​tips.com/ (external link)

I am a member of NAPP, but I wasn't a big fan. It is a bunch of mini tutorials of varying quality, but no Point A to Z type of training for this specific thing. I follow Kloskowski's site and subscribe to his RSS feed.

Full Gear List

Saxi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 03, 2010 14:11 |  #15

ChasP505 wrote in post #11025107 (external link)
And so do most of the members of the local club I used to belong to. The club had regular meetings which included a presentation on PP techniques.

Jeez... you're talking to someone who lives in a vast desert! Does NH have a PPA (Pro Photographers Association)? The NM PPA offers vast resources and organizes many activities.

http://www.nhppa.com/m​eeting-schedule.html (external link)

Some of us are artists, some of us are technicians... I long ago realized that I'm NOT an artist! :lol:

I've tried two biggest photography clubs in the area and both of them were not very good. I haven't seen the NHPPA one and will check that out. I gave it an honest go but even members were falling asleep in the meetings.

Full Gear List

sponsored links

3,251 views & 0 likes for this thread
Post Production Training
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.