Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Oct 2010 (Saturday) 18:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 24L II vs 24 TS-E II

rebelml
446 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 02, 2010 18:19 |  #1

I'm thinking about picking up a 24mm Canon prime for landscape and overall use, and I've narrowed it down to the 24L II vs the 24 TS-E II.

I know that the 24 TS-E II is highly reviewed and probably slight better for pure landscape use. However, with the 24L II, I get autofocus and low light capabilities for those other times that I may be using the lens outside of just landscape. For those that have used both, is the IQ of the 24L II comparable or at least close to the 24 TS-E II when it comes to landscape? And which did you end up keeping?

sponsored links
The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,797 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 02, 2010 18:24 |  #2

IQ wise, the TS-E has much better corner performance and has much less abrasions/ flare. The 24mm 1.4L is 2.33 stops faster and has AF in it. If want to use it in low light, I would get the 24L. Otherwise, in just about every way the 24 TS-E is a better lens optically.

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D MK II Gripped | 7D Gripped |17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 60mm F2.8 Macro | 135mm F2L | 70-200mm F4L IS |

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 02, 2010 21:33 |  #3

rebelml wrote in post #11021923 (external link)
For those that have used both, is the IQ of the 24L II comparable or at least close to the 24 TS-E II when it comes to landscape?

They're both good, but the TSE is noticeably better. It's remarkable.

rebelml wrote in post #11021923 (external link)
And which did you end up keeping?

Both! The only commonality these lenses share is the focal length. I use the 24L II considerably more for what I do, but they're both excellent lenses.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

plasticmotif
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 03, 2010 01:19 |  #4

They are both incredible. As to which I chose.....it was the ZE 21. :P

TSE not being able to take any filters is a deal breaker for some.

Mac P.
My Zenfolio (external link) My Photo Blog (external link) My Equipment
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14172975#po​st14172975

wombatHorror
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 03, 2010 01:32 |  #5

plasticmotif wrote in post #11023699 (external link)
They are both incredible. As to which I chose.....it was the ZE 21. :P

TSE not being able to take any filters is a deal breaker for some.

the 24mm TS-E takes filters easily

the 17mm is the bulbous one

both are pretty great for landscapes, pretty sharp corners and edges but the TS-E lets you do all the tilt stuff for extended DOF for certain types of shots

Ross_Curtis
184 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 03, 2010 02:00 |  #6

They are very different lenses.
I think the 24TS has more in common with the ziess 21.

Out of interest how does the 24L II compared with the TS at f3.5?

6D | 24L II | 50MP | 85L II | 200L II | 16-35L F4 IS | Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 | Markings Q10 |

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,565 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 03, 2010 05:38 |  #7

If you want to shoot on the "fly", in low light or moving subjects, you don't want the T/S lens. On the other hand, if you plan on taking your time setting up your shots, shooting from a tripod, want to correct perspective distortion and don't mind manual focus, the 24mm T/S is the way to go. They are really two very different lenses. While they can overlap in use somewhat, the areas where they "shine" really differ. If you can figure out what and how you want to shoot, the choice should be easy.

J-B
951 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 03, 2010 05:45 |  #8

Comes down to personal needs.

I think the TS-E is one of canons best lenses. As Tim already said: it's remarkable.
Most fun I've ever had with a canon lens.

But if you just need a faster lens with AF the choice is easy: 24L

Website (external link) l Flickr (external link) l Gear

JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember
2,440 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 03, 2010 10:40 |  #9

I just ordered the Zeiss 21mm for landscapes.

If you want to do landscapes, you'll have to look at either the 24TSE or te Zeiss 21 IMO..

-Jelle l Gear l Website (external link) l

plasticmotif
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 03, 2010 11:01 |  #10

wombatHorror wrote in post #11023752 (external link)
the 24mm TS-E takes filters easily

the 17mm is the bulbous one

both are pretty great for landscapes, pretty sharp corners and edges but the TS-E lets you do all the tilt stuff for extended DOF for certain types of shots

Oops, posting while tired!

Mac P.

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Oct 03, 2010 14:43 |  #11

Ross_Curtis wrote in post #11023825 (external link)
Out of interest how does the 24L II compared with the TS at f3.5?

http://www.dpreview.co​m …viewConfigurati​on.xml%3F2 (external link)

http://www.dpreview.co​m …_24_3p5_tse_c10​/page3.asp (external link)

as described in the TSE review text, the MTF are taken at a very short focal length, exacerbating field curvature performance, which makes the extreme corners appear less sharp than they would be in normal use. In any case the CA in the 24 TSE II is much less than with the 24/1.4 II.

Comparison photos with the TSE 24 II Vs 24/1.4 II are shown in this review
http://the-digital-picture.com …lt-Shift-Lens-Review.aspx (external link)
they show the flare with the 24/1.4 II to be more of a problem than with the TSE.
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

rebelml
THREAD ­ STARTER
446 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 03, 2010 16:38 |  #12

Thanks for the feedback thus far.

Mike K, I did see those reviews that you pointed to and that's the reason why I'm hesitating. I was all set on the 24L II and looking at the reviews, as great as the 24L II is, the 24 TSE II seemed that much better, especially for landscape.

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Oct 03, 2010 20:16 |  #13

rebelml wrote in post #11026364 (external link)
Thanks for the feedback thus far.

Mike K, I did see those reviews that you pointed to and that's the reason why I'm hesitating. I was all set on the 24L II and looking at the reviews, as great as the 24L II is, the 24 TSE II seemed that much better, especially for landscape.

I have the 24 TSE II and the Zeiss Distagon 21. They are comparable in sharpness, the legendary Zeiss has a bit better micro contrast and color. However, I find I am using the TSE a bit more for landscapes, as often getting more foreground in the shot or straightening verticals adds more "involvement" to the scene. On the other hand the Zeiss 21 is quicker to set up and use as lens movements take a tripod and some careful adjustments. With both lenses I use Live View focusing, but focus confirm will work (not as reliably) when hand held. In short, the 24 TSE II is quite impressive IQ when up against a milestone of sharpness and IQ, the Zeiss 21. For myself, I would never consider the Canon 24/1.4 II as the 24 TSE II is so much more versatile as a landscape lens. I would see low light/AF and weather sealing as the only advantages of the 24/1.4 II, which would have to be priorities for your style of shooting, to choose this lens over the 24 TSE II for landscape.
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

plasticmotif
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 03, 2010 22:29 |  #14

Mike K wrote in post #11027450 (external link)
I have the 24 TSE II and the Zeiss Distagon 21. They are comparable in sharpness, the legendary Zeiss has a bit better micro contrast and color. However, I find I am using the TSE a bit more for landscapes, as often getting more foreground in the shot or straightening verticals adds more "involvement" to the scene. On the other hand the Zeiss 21 is quicker to set up and use as lens movements take a tripod and some careful adjustments. With both lenses I use Live View focusing, but focus confirm will work (not as reliably) when hand held. In short, the 24 TSE II is quite impressive IQ when up against a milestone of sharpness and IQ, the Zeiss 21. For myself, I would never consider the Canon 24/1.4 II as the 24 TSE II is so much more versatile as a landscape lens. I would see low light/AF and weather sealing as the only advantages of the 24/1.4 II, which would have to be priorities for your style of shooting, to choose this lens over the 24 TSE II for landscape.
Mike K

you make it sound like the 24L II would be a bad choice. It certainly isn't. They are all 3 great. You just have to choose your poison.

Mac P.

Jam.radonc
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 04, 2010 02:47 |  #15

The 24L II is a completely different beast altogether just like the 24L TSE II. Both has it's merits and it's all dependent on different needs. I would be not hesitant to buy the 24 TSE if I needed it but sometimes stitching landscapes can yield more impressive results (yes I know it easier and better to stitch landsacape with a TSE lens). Interestingly enough I tend to favour the 50L lately for precisely this.

The ability to shoot in very low light handheld cannot be taken too lightly either. That's why I'm waiting in much anticipation for the 35mm Distagon which should come out sometime in February next year.

Jam
5D3 | 450D | Panasonic DMC-LX3 | 430 EX II | ST-E2
24-70 L II | 50L | 50 1.8 I | 100L | Zeiss 35/2 ZE | Zeiss 85/2.8 | Zeiss 135/3.5
[COLOR="Silver"]Sold: 17-40L | 24L II | 85L II | 135L | Sigma 50/1.4 | 5D2

sponsored links

6,713 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 24L II vs 24 TS-E II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.