Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Jun 2010 (Tuesday) 00:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 8-16 or Canon 10-22

rkkwan
134 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 05, 2010 13:23 |  #76

tjbrock42 wrote in post #11034776 (external link)
You are right, it was right there for me to see. I must have overlooked it when viewing the pictures that illustrated the differece between 8mm and 10mm.:)

I was curious about this because I always find myself pushing the magnification limits of all of my lenses. More is always better for me in this regard. Not a necessity, but a bonus. It appears the Tokina at .09x (1:11.6) is the loser in this department.

I don't think this will be the deciding factor for many people, it is certainly a consideration.

At this focal length, I think the more relevant spec is not maximum magnification, but rather minimal focusing distance. Both the Canon and Sigma is 24cm, while the Tokina is 38.

With the large depth-of-field, at 8mm even at f4.5, my 7D actually reports subject in focus at about 21-22cm with the Sigma. That's from the subject to the plane of the sensor. The distance between the plane of the sensor to the tip of the built-in hood is about 15mm, so the subject is only about 7cm from the hood at minimum focusing distance at f4.5. If you stop it down, you may probably decrease it some more and still get the subject to be in focus.

rkkwan.zenfolio.com (external link)
5D/BG-E4; 70-200/2.8L IS II, Sigma 8-16, Tamron 28-75 Asph, Tokina 10-17 Fish, 1.4x III; 580EX II; G7 X
Full Gear List

Kikz
143 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 16, 2010 13:37 |  #77

rkkwan wrote in post #10822558 (external link)
The Canon is pretty sharp. I can't compare directly as I've switched body along with my lenses and some of the 10-22 shots were JPG only. It is not as sharp as the Tokina, but definitely respectable, and I didn't notice any soft corners. Can't say whether the Canon or the Sigma is sharper. At one time I was using the 10-22 with a 17-85, and the 10-22 is significantly sharper, and has way less distortion between 17mm to 22mm, so the extra range of the 10-22 is great. But later I sold the 17-85 to get the 17-55/2.8 which in turn is sharper than the 10-22.

All three of those lenses have its strength and weakness, so you have to decide on your own.

[And let me add that I bought the Tokina when it first came out, at MSRP of about $550. I actually pocketed some cash as I could sell my Canon for more (which I made a profit as prices keep going up). So, it made sense for me to get a very sharp lens with 2.8 while pocketing cash. But the Tokina is costlier now. Also, if you plan on getting the 7D, you better stay away from the Tokina (my own experience).]

Thanks for the input mate but this is now a problem for me,not sure if i would experience the same problem,i already have a Tokina 11-16 and planning to upgrade my camera body to 7D,now i'm lost becoz i love the sharpness of Tokina,what exactly is the problem have you encountered with your Tokina and 7D?

Canon 60D gripped,35mm F2,Tamron 17-50mm,430 EX II,Canon 55-250..

rkkwan
134 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 20, 2010 02:17 |  #78

Kikz wrote in post #11108663 (external link)
Thanks for the input mate but this is now a problem for me,not sure if i would experience the same problem,i already have a Tokina 11-16 and planning to upgrade my camera body to 7D,now i'm lost becoz i love the sharpness of Tokina,what exactly is the problem have you encountered with your Tokina and 7D?

The 7D and 11-16 won't focus properly. For example, if the subject is 10ft away, but the lens had previously focused at 3ft; when I tried to focus again, the lens would focus out way short of 10ft but the 7D would report that it's "in focus" already.

I sent my 11-16 back to Tokina and explained to them. They sent me another copy (even though I have had the first lens for 1.5 years with the 40D), and same results. Rather than dealing with Tokina, I simply sold it and got the then brand-new Sigma instead.

rkkwan.zenfolio.com (external link)
5D/BG-E4; 70-200/2.8L IS II, Sigma 8-16, Tamron 28-75 Asph, Tokina 10-17 Fish, 1.4x III; 580EX II; G7 X
Full Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

40,910 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 8-16 or Canon 10-22
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.