Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Oct 2010 (Saturday) 08:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-70 on a 400D OOF yucky less than ordinary photo's

4-ever-blessed
THREAD ­ STARTER
242 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 02, 2010 09:18 |  #16

Marloon wrote in post #11019888 (external link)
STOP The thread! She doesn't need to know tips - let her just do it for herself. She'll learn more from her mistakes. LOL Jk. :D

:( well at least I made you smile :lol:

sponsored links
Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 02, 2010 09:24 |  #17

4-ever-blessed wrote in post #11019876 (external link)
ok I will take that

Alright, let's do it this way...

Shoot a stationary object like a box and post the samples from that. If you know how to, post 100% crops - it'll be the most helpful to determine if (a) something is wrong with your lens + camera combo or (b) if something is wrong in your technique.

to test the lens, put it on a tripod or stationary object (like a table/counter sink). set your camera to 10 second timer, f2.8, the lowest ISO possible, and your shutter speed must be faster than 1/FL (for example, if you are set at 24mm, it should be faster than 1/40 and when set at 70mm, it should be faster that 1/125). The faster your shutter speed is, the better you are off. Set your camera to center focus mode in AV (aperature value) mode.

We look forward to your sample shots. It'll be great for the evaluation of your lens copy.

Is it too late to return/exchange the lens. If you are bent on a zoom, get the 17-55 instead. In the future, always take your camera with you when you buy lenses. you want to make sure that your camera calibration matches the lens calibration within a certain tolerance. Basically, just test the lens with your camera body. Take photos around the store and using the back of your screen (better yet - use a computer) and look at your samples to see if they are sharp. If you are satisfied with your lens, purchase it.

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 02, 2010 09:25 |  #18

JeffreyG wrote in post #11019892 (external link)
The OP's problem is not microsharpness on a scale that can be detected only at 100% views.

OP has several shots that are simply OOF, and if I can detect that on a web sized image, then the problem is not that the lens is just a hair soft.

Either the OP has a technique problem or the lens is misfocusing. Given the OP's stated level of experience, the former is the most likely cause of the issue.

LOL. I'm just a prime-a-holic. Ignore my prime snobiness. LOL. In short, i hate zooms. I know there is a place and time for them but it's just a personal opinion. Let's move on and help the OP.

I'm MARLON

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

4-ever-blessed
THREAD ­ STARTER
242 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 02, 2010 09:25 |  #19

Ok I know these arn’t great but are either on my 50mm or kit

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i50.photobucket​.com/albums/f346/mtma/​ca57e943.jpg (external link)

See here my boy isn’t in focus but part of his shirt is that just wont happen with the 24-70

http://i50.photobucket​.com/albums/f346/mtma/​4e2e15fb.jpg (external link)

Kit lens small for a forum I was on but still focus

http://i50.photobucket​.com …f346/mtma/12thd​isc211.jpg (external link)

4-ever-blessed
THREAD ­ STARTER
242 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 02, 2010 09:26 |  #20

Kits focus

http://i50.photobucket​.com …f346/mtma/12thd​isc531.jpg (external link)

Kit lens again

http://i50.photobucket​.com …/f346/mtma/IMG_​8725-1.jpg (external link)

http://i50.photobucket​.com/albums/f346/mtma/​liam.jpg (external link)

http://i50.photobucket​.com …/f346/mtma/IMG_​6639-2.jpg (external link)

Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 02, 2010 09:26 |  #21

4-ever-blessed wrote in post #11019895 (external link)
:( well at least I made you smile :lol:

Misery does make me laugh from time to time knowing that my life isn't as bad as others - isn't that a horrible perspective for a nurse? HAHAHA.

I'm MARLON

4-ever-blessed
THREAD ­ STARTER
242 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 02, 2010 09:30 |  #22

Marloon wrote in post #11019928 (external link)
Misery does make me laugh from time to time knowing that my life isn't as bad as others - isn't that a horrible perspective for a nurse? HAHAHA.

no you just look at the bright side ;)

4-ever-blessed
THREAD ­ STARTER
242 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 02, 2010 09:32 |  #23

fourelements99 wrote in post #11019814 (external link)
By the way, I wold put the open area on the subject's facing direction in your sample image.

lol at this point I didnt care I was snapping like a happy snapper just to get the lens to stop bouncing around. :lol:

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 02, 2010 09:42 as a reply to  @ post 11019855 |  #24

4-ever-blessed,

Thats a very nice image. The face is not very contrasty so the camera might well have gone for the chain or hat as something to focus on. Try getting in tighter and focusing on the eyes, and also try your on-camera flash as a "fill" to give the face more "Wow".

It also occurs to me that you are probably saving in jpeg format and have not played with the images in any post-processing software nor set the camera to help. I'm thinking of saturation, contrast, etc?

Forgive me, but I've added a touch of sharpening (not much) and raised the colour saturation a little in the skin tones. But I'd be pleased with it if it was mine.

Edited to add: The big difference between this image and your kit-lens samples is light. Be it natural or man made, pictures need the stuff.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

4-ever-blessed
THREAD ­ STARTER
242 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 02, 2010 09:55 |  #25

thanks so much for your help. was about 4;30 in the afternoon Australian sun, will try earlier tomorrow thanks

her face is not very contrasty so the camera might well have gone for the chain or hat as something to focus on.

I can usually see when that happens like on my little boys shirt in another photo I post but not one of the ones I took today can I see where it was focusing and differently not were I meant for it to...

Try getting in tighter and focusing on the eyes, and also try your on-camera flash as a "fill" to give the face more "Wow".

When I moved in it wouldn’t take a photo at all that was as close as I could get. I was standing about 2meters back.

It also occurs to me that you are probably saving in jpeg format and have not played with the images in any post-processing software nor set the camera to help. I'm thinking of saturation, contrast, etc?

I save in Jpeg and raw, but never use the raw files maybe one day.
I downloaded a free trial of Lightroom once and had a play with a few pics (two shown above) that is all I have really tried. Really I just take pics of my kids and would love to be able to take photo’s of kids with disabilities’ one day, as a freebie thing for the parents. Other wise it’s just the kids
thanks again so much back into it tomorrow.l

4-ever-blessed
THREAD ­ STARTER
242 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 02, 2010 09:56 |  #26

Lowner

Forgive me, but I've added a touch of sharpening (not much) and raised the colour saturation a little in the skin tones. But I'd be pleased with it if it was mine.

thanks it's very lovely

4-ever-blessed
THREAD ­ STARTER
242 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 04, 2010 02:41 |  #27

went back to the camera shop today they stuck the lens on a 7D and a 5D and it works fine.
I tried my 400D and it did the same it tries to focus and cant then after pushing the button over and over again it will fire. then it will fire first time but it struggles even more inside even with all the lights one window open. the lens just keeps trying to focus and cant. so that is it a new camera I will have to get. my Hubby cant get in there to order it tell next week now to get either teh 7D or 5D?

fourelements99
287 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 05, 2010 13:52 |  #28

For portrait, 5D for sure. For fast focus and action shots, 7D for sure. But 24-70 doesn't perform the best on 7D though.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,171 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 05, 2010 14:01 |  #29

fourelements99 wrote in post #11039283 (external link)
For portrait, 5D for sure. For fast focus and action shots, 7D for sure. But 24-70 doesn't perform the best on 7D though.

Huh? Why exactly? Or do you mean it is not the best range on a 7D?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

robd54
107 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 05, 2010 14:19 |  #30

TeamSpeed wrote in post #11039340 (external link)
Huh? Why exactly? Or do you mean it is not the best range on a 7D?

Yeah, I'm curious about your comment too as I'm considering this for my 7D.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon SL1
EF 17-40 F4L, EF 24-105 F4L IS, EF 70-200 F2.8L IS MK I, EF 35 2.0 IS, EF 50 1.4, EF 40 2.8 Pancake, EF 85 1.8, EF 2X Extender III, 2 x 600EX Flash, ST-E3-RT

sponsored links

3,928 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-70 on a 400D OOF yucky less than ordinary photo's
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.