Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 30 Sep 2010 (Thursday) 22:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do wedding photographers often use speedlites or strobes?

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 01, 2010 15:13 |  #16

I generally use 2-3 speedlights and for a back up I have strobes in the trunk.

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

sponsored links
howzitboy
Goldmember
2,948 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 01, 2010 20:38 |  #17

i use flash all the time.. helps with exposure, color and focusing

http://onehourwedding.​blogspot.com/ (external link)

matrix311
529 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 02, 2010 14:56 |  #18

Depending on the venue, I will either setup my white lightning strobe somewhere just off the dance floor and use a strobe bracket on my camera. I'll put a cybersync transmitter on my camera's hotshoe and a speedlite on the upper bracket with a ttl sync cord to my camera. I also put the Honl Traveler 8 speedlite softbox on my flash for frontal shots. Between the two flash's it will light up everything nice. I get a nice backlight with the white lighting and a nice soft front light with the softbox speedlite on my camera.

Here is the Honl Product I was talking about.
http://www.honlphoto.c​om …traveller8-Softbox/Detail (external link)

I also shoot with Canon 7D and 40D, no FF

Eric Schlaht - Phoenix Arizona Photographer
http://www.esimaging.n​et (external link) - http://esimaging.blogs​pot.com (external link) - http://www.facebook.co​m/esimaging (external link)
Canon 7D, 40D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/4 IS, 85mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Kenko Tubes, White Lightning X800's, 430EX, Yongnuo YN-468 and Cybersync's.

picard
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 02, 2010 16:47 |  #19

matrix311 wrote in post #11021156 (external link)
Depending on the venue, I will either setup my white lightning strobe somewhere just off the dance floor and use a strobe bracket on my camera. I'll put a cybersync transmitter on my camera's hotshoe and a speedlite on the upper bracket with a ttl sync cord to my camera. I also put the Honl Traveler 8 speedlite softbox on my flash for frontal shots. Between the two flash's it will light up everything nice. I get a nice backlight with the white lighting and a nice soft front light with the softbox speedlite on my camera.

Here is the Honl Product I was talking about.
http://www.honlphoto.c​om …traveller8-Softbox/Detail (external link)

I also shoot with Canon 7D and 40D, no FF

is the Honi softbox any good ?

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II
Canon 70-200mm IS II L , Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, Canon macro 100mm F/2.8, 18-55mm kit
Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm, Sigma 50mm F/1.4
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 EX DG HSM

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 02, 2010 20:55 as a reply to  @ picard's post |  #20

I use both. I have some Elinchrome strobes which I try to use for all group shots where feasible and all those of the bride by herself. I do have a 580 EXII and use that some of the time but my preferred off camera flash is the Quantum T5dr which I have a couple of. In a pinch they can function as a strobe. I find the light from the Quantum to be much more pleasing than that of the 580. It is though a matter of personal preference.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

matrix311
529 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 03, 2010 02:08 |  #21

picard wrote in post #11021608 (external link)
is the Honi softbox any good ?

yes I love it. Perfect softbox for a speedlite and very durable.

Eric Schlaht - Phoenix Arizona Photographer
http://www.esimaging.n​et (external link) - http://esimaging.blogs​pot.com (external link) - http://www.facebook.co​m/esimaging (external link)
Canon 7D, 40D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/4 IS, 85mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Kenko Tubes, White Lightning X800's, 430EX, Yongnuo YN-468 and Cybersync's.

tim
Light Bringer
50,979 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 03, 2010 03:36 |  #22

The Morris Soft Box (external link) is also very good, and very robust. Mine's lasted a couple of summers already, and still seems fine.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

css7493
360 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 04, 2010 00:14 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #23

I make frequent use of off camera flash, 2x580ex ii's with CP-E4 clones on stands, usually shoot through umbrella, sometimes switch it up to reflect with the umbrellas if I need to minimize overflow inside a chapel, etc. Trigger with Elinchrom Skyports.

Gear

caught14
194 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 06, 2010 10:25 as a reply to  @ css7493's post |  #24

I use a couple 580exII's at most indoor receptions. I'll put 2 of them on light stands opposite each other and typically direct them at the dance floor. Then I use a wireless trigger to fire them: Cybersyncs (external link). I also keep a 580exII on my camera as well...sometimes I'll use this in addition to the remote flashes, and other times I'll turn it off and only use the remote flashes. Regardless of whether I fire it, it's always useful for focus assist in low light.

Some situations it can look especially cool to only have one or both of the remote flashes and no flash on the camera. It is more of a high risk, high reward scenario, and also provides another look to your reception images.

I also keep a pair of AB800's in the trunk just for backup. We always encourage brides to have their family groupings done outdoors, but if it's pouring rain and dark inside, then it helps to have supplemental lighting. We recently did a wedding where the groom refinished an old MGB and the bride really wanted shots with the groom and the bridal party with it in front of the church. Since these were important to her, we grabbed pair of AB800's to light the bridal party and the car while still being able to keep the church in the background from being blown out. You can check out my blog post on this wedding to see what I am talking about: http://www.collingphot​ogallery.com …c-wedding-of-the-century/ (external link)

• The bridal party shots after the ceremony we used AB800's (rare that we ever use them).
  • The reception shots we used a combination of off camera flash with on camera flash.
  • There is one shot in there of just the B&G doing their last dance where I just used one off camera flash light. This is the high risk, high reward shot I was talking about. If you get it just right, it can look really cool. (2nd to last shot)
Overall, from my experience I see wedding photographers hands down using speedlites the majority of the time. They are smaller and more versatile to work with. Nothing wrong with using strobes, just remember they are bigger and usually require extra equipment (portable power, mains power, power/extension cords, etc).

Colling Photography (external link)
Cameras & Lenses - Canon 5DMkII x 3 | 30D | 24
L | 35L | 45 TS | 50L | 85IIL | 135L | 16-35IIL | 24-105L | 70-200L
www.collingphotogaller​y.com (external link)

Michelle ­ Brooks ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 07, 2010 10:36 |  #25

Sweet collection!:D

caught14 wrote in post #11045081 (external link)
I use a couple 580exII's at most indoor receptions. I'll put 2 of them on light stands opposite each other and typically direct them at the dance floor. Then I use a wireless trigger to fire them: Cybersyncs (external link). I also keep a 580exII on my camera as well...sometimes I'll use this in addition to the remote flashes, and other times I'll turn it off and only use the remote flashes. Regardless of whether I fire it, it's always useful for focus assist in low light.

Some situations it can look especially cool to only have one or both of the remote flashes and no flash on the camera. It is more of a high risk, high reward scenario, and also provides another look to your reception images.

I also keep a pair of AB800's in the trunk just for backup. We always encourage brides to have their family groupings done outdoors, but if it's pouring rain and dark inside, then it helps to have supplemental lighting. We recently did a wedding where the groom refinished an old MGB and the bride really wanted shots with the groom and the bridal party with it in front of the church. Since these were important to her, we grabbed pair of AB800's to light the bridal party and the car while still being able to keep the church in the background from being blown out. You can check out my blog post on this wedding to see what I am talking about: http://www.collingphot​ogallery.com …c-wedding-of-the-century/ (external link)
  • The bridal party shots after the ceremony we used AB800's (rare that we ever use them).
  • The reception shots we used a combination of off camera flash with on camera flash.
  • There is one shot in there of just the B&G doing their last dance where I just used one off camera flash light. This is the high risk, high reward shot I was talking about. If you get it just right, it can look really cool. (2nd to last shot)
Overall, from my experience I see wedding photographers hands down using speedlites the majority of the time. They are smaller and more versatile to work with. Nothing wrong with using strobes, just remember they are bigger and usually require extra equipment (portable power, mains power, power/extension cords, etc).

Michelle Brooks Photography (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)
Gear List

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,564 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 07, 2010 11:17 |  #26

I use both. Whatever suits the situation the best. Receptions are a great place to use studio lights if you have the time to set it up. Speedlites are great on the fly because they're small. You can get something in the middle like a Profoto AcuteB or Elinchrom Ranger Quadra.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

sponsored links

8,995 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do wedding photographers often use speedlites or strobes?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.