Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 04 Oct 2010 (Monday) 16:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Windows 7 and drives

canon ­ shooter
Goldmember
2,240 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 04, 2010 16:17 |  #1

I had an issue where hooking my digital picture frame up to computer changed the Letter of one of my external drives.

Anyone know how to set the letters so they will not change.

Depending on which external drive is connected when you turn the next one it make change that letter as well.

I would like to be able to set them to what they are in catalogs in LR and then keep them from changing again?

Jim

5D Mark III Grip, 40D Grip, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24-105 F4L IS, Canon 70-200 IS II F2.8L, Canon 100-400L, Canon 50 F1.4, Canon 100 F2.8, Canon 580 EX
It's the Glass that Counts!

sponsored links
Merlin_AZ
871 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 04, 2010 16:23 |  #2

Right-click "Computer" and choose "Manage."
It's in there under Disk Management.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 04, 2010 17:18 as a reply to  @ Merlin_AZ's post |  #3

To add to the above response, I had to do a graphic of the process for one of my students awhile ago as they just didn't get it.

It is worth putting a little forethought into how you want to set stuff up. I used to have 7 externals hooked to a computer before I got this one which has an 8TB drive in it. If you use the external on both a desktop and a laptop give some thought to trying to make sure that whatever drive letter you choose is going to be available on both systems.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

canon ­ shooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,240 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 04, 2010 18:26 |  #4

ssim wrote in post #11033622 (external link)
To add to the above response, I had to do a graphic of the process for one of my students awhile ago as they just didn't get it.

It is worth putting a little forethought into how you want to set stuff up. I used to have 7 externals hooked to a computer before I got this one which has an 8TB drive in it. If you use the external on both a desktop and a laptop give some thought to trying to make sure that whatever drive letter you choose is going to be available on both systems.

Thanks for input. When you do this is there a way to make these letter assignments stick, so they don't change??

Here is my situation: depending on what order I turn on the external drives determines the letter Windows gives them, and with LR catalogs they need to be same all the time?

Jim

5D Mark III Grip, 40D Grip, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24-105 F4L IS, Canon 70-200 IS II F2.8L, Canon 100-400L, Canon 50 F1.4, Canon 100 F2.8, Canon 580 EX

canon ­ shooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,240 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 05, 2010 12:39 |  #5

Sheldon, this is great stuff, but one question, and I did not try this now since the letter it is now assigned has all been changed in LR and don't want to risk a change there again.
Anyway for future use the drive is now assigned "F", I don't see "F" as an option in your drop down?? Is that because you already have "F"assigned. Assume the drop down will not show letters that are already assigned.
My concern is if it happens again I would want to reassign to "F" again o as not to have to change LR again.

So if drive changes to say "G" or "H" will "F" then be an option??

Jim

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,808 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 05, 2010 14:16 |  #6

canon shooter wrote in post #11038854 (external link)
Sheldon, this is great stuff, but one question, and I did not try this now since the letter it is now assigned has all been changed in LR and don't want to risk a change there again.
Anyway for future use the drive is now assigned "F", I don't see "F" as an option in your drop down?? Is that because you already have "F"assigned. Assume the drop down will not show letters that are already assigned.
My concern is if it happens again I would want to reassign to "F" again o as not to have to change LR again.

So if drive changes to say "G" or "H" will "F" then be an option??

You are correct Jim. Drive letters that have already been assigned are not available. So you have to move stuff around some times to get it the way you want.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback| My Pbase Galleryexternal link | mdsportsphoto.comexternal linkhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=835433

canon ­ shooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,240 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 05, 2010 15:27 |  #7

In2Photos wrote in post #11039428 (external link)
You are correct Jim. Drive letters that have already been assigned are not available. So you have to move stuff around some times to get it the way you want.

Mike, thanks this is a issue when working with multiple external drives. Windows will assign the numbers as they are turned on.

Taking it one step futher sometimes (based on when they got turned on) what used to be drive "L" is now "M" and what was "M" is now "L". This means that LR can't find files.

So if I Finally understand correctly I should be able to say change "M" to say "Z"(or any unused letter), then I could change what was assigned "L" back to "M"? Is there a way to make the letters static so they won't change without reformating drive?

Jim

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,808 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 05, 2010 15:39 |  #8

canon shooter wrote in post #11039893 (external link)
Mike, thanks this is a issue when working with multiple external drives. Windows will assign the numbers as they are turned on.

I prefer internal drives for various reasons, but this is one of them.

Taking it one step futher sometimes (based on when they got turned on) what used to be drive "L" is now "M" and what was "M" is now "L". This means that LR can't find files.

You can tell LR where the drive is now located and it should update rather quickly, but I agree that can be a pain.

So if I Finally understand correctly I should be able to say change "M" to say "Z"(or any unused letter), then I could change what was assigned "L" back to "M"? Is there a way to make the letters static so they won't change without reformating drive?

That is how you would handle it. TO be honest I have never had a drive change letters on me since I only have one external and it is for off site backup. I bring it home once a month and do a backup, then take it off site.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback| My Pbase Galleryexternal link | mdsportsphoto.comexternal linkhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=835433

psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 06, 2010 13:40 as a reply to  @ In2Photos's post |  #9

I had the same problem before.
The way to have the drive letter stick in my case is to connect it first before turning on your computer.
If I connect my ext hdd after, windows will assign a different letter.

The best way is to go to Mac, I never had this problem. :lol:

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

canon ­ shooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,240 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 06, 2010 22:06 |  #10

Spent 1 1/2 hours on phone with Adobe and they can't fix it,say it is Windows.I don't think so. I am attaching to image on that says export fro email is when I try to export and chose for email option as you can see it finds my drives, but when I chose just export it only finds folder on "C" drive any ideas.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Jim

sponsored links

1,081 views & 0 likes for this thread
Windows 7 and drives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.