Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 00:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

do you grip or no grip?

HighSnobility
169 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 07, 2010 05:09 |  #31

kimnkk wrote in post #11050625 (external link)
lol so true mate. I hate how its so thick when u try to use it in portrait orientation. Definitely doesnt feel as ergonomic as the normal grip!

lol yeah, I hope they can design a more ergonomic grip in the future.. something similar to the 1D's would be awesome but I guess that's asking too much :lol:. Some of the 7D's beauty is in the ergonomics, it's really comfortable to hold but once you use the grip in portrait :mad:.

flickr (external link) - gear

sponsored links
Candersson
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 07, 2010 06:08 |  #32

I use the grip on all my bodies. A huge improvement on the ergonomics IMO. :)

apersson850 wrote in post #11050648 (external link)
I tried the 7D without the grip the first few days. Made my hand ache.

The grip is the way to go. I often also use telezooms in vertical position, and then I don't understand how I lived through that without a grip back when there were none. Probably because I didn't take that many pictures when you had to buy a new sensor every 36th shot...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

- Thomas -
1DX/1DIV/7D/5DmkII and Lenses | WWW (external link)
So much to learn, so little time...

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 07, 2010 06:15 |  #33

monthly Q is back!

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

dontcallmeash
480 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 07, 2010 06:18 |  #34

i've never found a grip that feels like it's part of the camera. the occasional errors they generate when the contacts get loose are also infuriating.

i really don't get the feeling of holding a pro-series body, either. just a midrange camera with something lumpy screwed onto the bottom in a half-assed fashion.

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 07, 2010 06:18 |  #35

No grips.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

NewCanon7DUser
36 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 07, 2010 06:20 |  #36
bannedPermanent ban

When I picked out the 7D as the camera I was going to use ( compared the 50D/7D/5DII ) I inquired about the grip. They let me put one on my 7D body and play with it. I could not have been happier then I was when I handed the grip back to the salesperson and said " WTF ? " He said ... " yeah I know it makes the camera a bit bulkier then need be, but lots of people like the 'look' ! " To each their own, I guess. I bought my 7D for the images it produces and not the image it portrays.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 07, 2010 06:28 |  #37

alpha_1976 wrote in post #11050826 (external link)
monthly Q is back!

Monthly?
It's weekly and almost daily.
This is the second "grip or no grip" question in less than a week.
It's no wonder people get the "irrits" when the same question is asked so frequently. Especially when the question is still on the front page.
Yes I have grips and they don't get removed once they are on.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 07, 2010 06:36 |  #38

I have a cheap version for my 500d and I always use it. I used to take a lot of portrait oriented shots, but they are less easy to present so now I rarely do but when I do the grip is just great. I usually leave it turned "on". It rarely gives me problems. It allows longer time as 2 batteries. and it has a really handy timer that allows delay. Very long exposure and automatic multiple shots at fixed intervals and it came with a wireless remote that can turn the camera on (unlike my 'ordinary' one) I find this very useful especially for macro work.

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 07, 2010 06:40 |  #39

We should just add out answers to these types of questions to our profile:

Grip or No Grip: None
Prime or Zoom: Prime
24-70 or 24-105: 24-105
IMAGE EDITING OK

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,123 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 07, 2010 08:20 as a reply to  @ timnosenzo's post |  #40

But then they still have to start a thread to make everyone post, or it will be too much work digging up all the profiles... ;)

Anders

freshcargo
361 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 07, 2010 08:27 |  #41

ecub wrote in post #11050362 (external link)
I hope you meant to direct that to the OP. If you read this thread, this was my 1st reply (post #5)...

As you can see. I followed the rules and gave the OP links. I never told the OP to search the forum on my first post, but I merely gave him a resource for his answers.

Now instead of having a mature answer and saying something like "Wow, lot's of stuff in those threads", or "Thanks", or anything nice, the OP ATTACKS me with this...

As I stated in my last comment, the OP seemed offended from my comment, so I had to reword it in a mature manner. Being a 46 year old, ex marine, I've never really liked starting fights, which is why I never reenlisted. But I will defend myself.

Now, it seems like the OP and yourself are personally attacking me, which is probably against the forum rules.

not a personal attack against you, I did see that you were one of the 1st to respond and OP should thank you for that, I simply posted the rules for all to see. I get frustrated when I do a search and all I find results asking people to search.

did not mean to offend, sorry.

P.S, I do grip :)

1DsMk III, 5DII, 17-40L. 135L. 70-200mmL II. 50mm F/1.4

Candersson
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 07, 2010 08:42 |  #42

timnosenzo wrote in post #11050899 (external link)
We should just add out answers to these types of questions to our profile:

Grip or No Grip: None
Prime or Zoom: Prime
24-70 or 24-105: 24-105
IMAGE EDITING OK

:D +1
Sorry to say but it is a good idea....
OR
These threads should perhaps be in sticky status

- Thomas -

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,123 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 07, 2010 09:08 as a reply to  @ Candersson's post |  #43

They don't have to be a sticky. The only thing needed is this:

Grips: Some people like them, some don't.

The fact that you get a vertical trigger button and that you can use two batteries at a time ought to be obvious to everyone, so that does not need to be in any sticky. Maybe that you can use them with one battery only.

Anders

Candersson
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 07, 2010 09:25 |  #44

apersson850 wrote in post #11051466 (external link)
They don't have to be a sticky. The only thing needed is this:

Grips: Some people like them, some don't.

The fact that you get a vertical trigger button and that you can use two batteries at a time ought to be obvious to everyone, so that does not need to be in any sticky. Maybe that you can use them with one battery only.

How about making your statement a sticky/locked thread?
The fact is there and no one has to post... That would do the trick :D :D

- Thomas -

ecub
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 07, 2010 10:34 |  #45

freshcargo wrote in post #11051267 (external link)
not a personal attack against you, I did see that you were one of the 1st to respond and OP should thank you for that, I simply posted the rules for all to see. I get frustrated when I do a search and all I find results asking people to search.

did not mean to offend, sorry.

P.S, I do grip :)

No prob. Apology accepted and I do apologize for snapping back :)

- Ed
Official Gear List
5D II | 7D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L IS macro

sponsored links

6,552 views & 0 likes for this thread
do you grip or no grip?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.