Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 05 Oct 2010 (Tuesday) 12:27
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Yes or No for grip"
I like gripped
72.9%
I dont like gripped
27.1%

203 voters, 203 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

To grip or not to grip (poll)

AdamC
Goldmember
3,719 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 06, 2010 20:31 as a reply to  @ post 11048508 |  #31

I'd like to vote both ways!

When I had my 400D, I bought a grip and loved it - it never came off the camera. I was shooting a lot of soccer at the time and not having to twist my wrist for an hour at a time was appreciated. The extra battery life was useful. The extra bulk made it feel a bit more substantial but wasn't a factor really.

Now with my 5D2, I haven't been motivated to buy a grip for it at all. Don't need the battery life, certainly don't need the bulk, and I don't shoot portrait enough for it to matter.

[gallery (external link)|gear|flickr (external link)|blog (external link)]

sponsored links
ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 06, 2010 20:36 |  #32

helloagain36 wrote in post #11048149 (external link)
I knew that someone would hop all over that comment as soon as I made it. I just know that clients will sometimes nit pick every little thing despite how many times they have been to your website or how much they love your photos.

We all know that having a grip on your camera makes one person no more or less a professional than someone without a grip, and the photos at the end of the day are going to be the same on either end. But our clients, people who are not photographers, don't always know that and I think that the general population holds the mentality that bigger is better.

For me though, having a grip serves a functional purpose and that's the main reason that I use one but if it can also help to differentiate me in a world where everyone and their brother owns a DSLR, well, then that's just an added benefit.

I like the photos on your site, your grip had nothing to do with them, I just thought it was a funny comment. No harm

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 06, 2010 20:51 |  #33

Gedanken wrote in post #11048123 (external link)
Spoken as a true "professional". :rolleyes:

You'll excuse me if I take your "advice" as being worth what I paid.

Your barely-surface-level treatment of things limits your myopic view to the form of grips and not the function, so I'll forgive you for your stupidity and attempt the impossible task of educating you. The function of the grip, i.e. that it allows users to more comfortably shoot in portrait orientation, makes it entirely relevant to this thread. In light of that, you've just demonstrated yourself to be the moron.

You have a nice day, now.

Wow, what are you a psychologist or something?

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 06, 2010 21:01 |  #34

I don't know what I like less... having a battery grip on my camera, or the term "gripped".

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 06, 2010 21:07 as a reply to  @ timnosenzo's post |  #35

helloagain36 wrote in post #11039636 (external link)
#1. There is more distinction between who is the professional photographer. A grip really makes your camera look more impressive to a client and I feel that is a good thing when they just shelled out a lot of money to hire you and you aren't walking around with a camera that resembles the same one that Uncle Charlie is using.

I don't know... if a client is questioning my professionalism because I don't have a $150 screw on accessory bolted to my camera, I think I may have deeper issues.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

Tomi ­ Hawk
Goldmember
1,692 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 06, 2010 21:17 |  #36

ChuckingFluff wrote in post #11047374 (external link)
I'm going to get a grip now so I can be a professional too. :rolleyes:

Nice try .. dream on .. :p

ChuckingFluff wrote in post #11047374 (external link)
I carry an extra battery in my pocket, much lighter and easier.

Yeah, because we all know just how heavy a grip really is with 2 batteries .. lol
Maybe the gym is a better place for you to hang out? Jus sayin .. ;)
Try shooting all day and all night with a Pentax 6x7 .. you'll really appreciate the smaller gripped bodies.

ChuckingFluff wrote in post #11048678 (external link)

He may be one .. why should that matter ..?
You stated that you knew people would "hop all over that comment" .. soooo,
why'd you make it?

Canon builds a great product, which enables me to shoot on and on and on.
It fits my large hands rather nicely, and balances out with heavier lenses ..
I can reach the controls at any time, anywhere on the camera.

Why not take advantage of some of the nicer technology that is offerd us?
You're prolly one of those photographers that insists that everything be done in camera.
No photoshop for you .. right? Again .. I take advantage of the *tools* that are offered me.
After 30 years of working in the industry, it's nice to be smaller and faster ..

I have no idea why these gripped or not to grip threads get sooo outta control.
It's a nice feature to have .. then again, those who b!tch at others and cry about it,
prolly never worked with any Nikon with an MD-11 attached to it ..
You wanna talk heavy? ahahaha .. today's modern DSLR's are feathers in comparison.

Gedanken
741 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 06, 2010 21:30 |  #37

ChuckingFluff wrote in post #11048678 (external link)

Funny you should ask - as a matter of fact I am. No, seriously, I'm a registered and practicing organisational psychologist. :mrgreen:

Gear List

Tomi ­ Hawk
Goldmember
1,692 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 06, 2010 21:32 |  #38

Gedanken wrote in post #11048944 (external link)
Funny you should ask - as a matter of fact I am. No, seriously, I'm a registered and practicing organisational psychologist. :mrgreen:

Ha! He just got lucky .. errr, Doc? Your patient is ready now .. ;)

Gedanken
741 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 06, 2010 21:32 |  #39

timnosenzo wrote in post #11048746 (external link)
I don't know what I like less... having a battery grip on my camera, or the term "gripped".

I'm just too damned lazy to type "with BG-E2N". :mrgreen:

Gear List

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 06, 2010 21:45 as a reply to  @ Gedanken's post |  #40

i would certainly have one for every camera i have if i could justify the price.
the nice thing about them is that they can come off when you want to save weight.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

Gedanken
741 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 06, 2010 21:46 |  #41

Tomi Hawk wrote in post #11048969 (external link)
Ha! He just got lucky .. errr, Doc? Your patient is ready now .. ;)

Nah, the students are the ones who go out looking for unsuspecting victims to perform pro bono work on. Me, if there ain't no service agreement, I ain't on duty. :mrgreen:

Gear List

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 06, 2010 21:47 |  #42

Tomi Hawk wrote in post #11048862 (external link)
Nice try .. dream on .. :p

[...]
Why not take advantage of some of the nicer technology that is offerd us?
You're prolly one of those photographers that insists that everything be done in camera.
No photoshop for you .. right? Again .. I take advantage of the *tools* that are offered me.
After 30 years of working in the industry, it's nice to be smaller and faster ..
[...]

Actually RAW has made me a worse photographer. RAW, Whi-bal, x-rite passport and lightroom 3 saves a ton of time. I never said grips were bad I've used them but prefer to work lighter.

paulfurse
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 07, 2010 00:34 |  #43

I go the grip for the balance and the battery. Ive got big hands and without the grip it just does not feel right to me with the heavier glass. At parties where I feel it is safe I position a laptop and use the wireless grip, sending small jpgs to the laptop - always a crowd of people around it at various stages of the evening.

Working on it - www.paulfurse.com (external link)
Lots of toys..

MotoXPunk481
159 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 07, 2010 14:23 |  #44

I've always used grips for my cameras, but my wife doesn't use one on her 5DII. I prefer them for the vertical shutter release and the extra battery. Plus it balances well with the 70-200 2.8 IS. I just ordered a second 5DII for myself though and decided NOT to get the grip. Knowing me, I'll probably regret that and order one on Friday, but I thought I would give it a shot. :)

(2X) Canon EOS 5DII | Canon EOS 5D w/ Grip | Canon EOS 40D w/ Grip | Canon Digital Rebel XT w/ Grip | 16-35 2.8L II | (2X) 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 50 1.2L | 24 1.4L II | 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS | 100 2.8 macro | (3X) 580EX II

North Carolina Wedding Photography (external link)

smmokan
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 07, 2010 14:31 |  #45

helloagain36 wrote in post #11039636 (external link)
#1. There is more distinction between who is the professional photographer. A grip really makes your camera look more impressive to a client and I feel that is a good thing when they just shelled out a lot of money to hire you and you aren't walking around with a camera that resembles the same one that Uncle Charlie is using.

Have you ever asked someone who's not a photographer what their perception is, or are you just assuming that's how it makes you look?

Personally, I think this comment is laughable. Your demeanor, actions, and general equipment setup will let others know you're the pro photographer.

www.ChasingEpicMTB.com (external link)

sponsored links

8,339 views & 0 likes for this thread
To grip or not to grip (poll)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.