Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Oct 2010 (Monday) 10:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Oh Shut!!!...............ter

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 07, 2010 15:47 |  #16

In2Photos wrote in post #11053463 (external link)
$326.46 to repair it! :cry: On top of the $100 to renew my CPS membership I was probably better off selling it. :o

oh man! I don't know what canon did differently in this one?

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

sponsored links
In2Photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
19,808 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 07, 2010 15:51 |  #17

alpha_1976 wrote in post #11053865 (external link)
oh man! I don't know what canon did differently in this one?

Me either! :( I even called to make sure they were applying the CPS discount and they said yes. Even the lady at CPS the other day said $250. So I don't know why it is so much. Maybe some additional parts and/or labor is required for some reason.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback| My Pbase Galleryexternal link | mdsportsphoto.comexternal linkhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=835433

nitehawk55
856 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 07, 2010 16:01 as a reply to  @ In2Photos's post |  #18

I'd call back again and tell them what you were quoted and you're wondering why the total was more than that . Does't hurt to get them to fess up as to why the additional cost and if you have to ask to talk to a manager if you don't get the right answers . Squeeky wheel gets the grease ;)

blueM
"I am the Prince of Dorkness"
1,662 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 07, 2010 18:34 |  #19

Squeeky wheel gets the grease

True that. If you don't ask you won't get.

Kevin

Gear List

In2Photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
19,808 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 07, 2010 19:10 as a reply to  @ blueM's post |  #20

I think I will do that tomorrow. I did call to confirm that I was receiving my CPS discount, but didn't mention the quote.

Current Gear and Feedback| My Pbase Galleryexternal link | mdsportsphoto.comexternal linkhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=835433

In2Photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
19,808 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 08, 2010 09:56 |  #21

Called Canon again this morning. Was told that the initial quotes for shutter are typically labor only as not all "shutter problems" require a whole shutter replacement. Some just require cleaning and others may need a blade replaced or straightened. In my case the entire shutter needed replacement so that accounts for the difference in price.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 08, 2010 10:02 |  #22

That sucks, but $435 for a mk2 with 0 shutter count is a pretty good deal, isn't it? Try to look at the positive side. The only other low shutter count cameras you are going to get for $400 is a used 30D or XSi. Stinks that it broke, but nothing you can do about it now. You just have to look at it from the point of view that you need a camera and getting it repaired gets you the nicest camera for the money.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

In2Photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
19,808 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 08, 2010 10:04 |  #23

tkbslc wrote in post #11058136 (external link)
That sucks, but $435 for a mk2 with 0 shutter count is a pretty good deal, isn't it? Try to look at the positive side. The only other low shutter count cameras you are going to get for $400 is a used 30D or XSi. Stinks that it broke, but nothing you can do about it now. You just have to look at it from the point of view that you need a camera and getting it repaired gets you the nicest camera for the money.

I think I've already done that, yeah? ;)

In2Photos wrote in post #11053608 (external link)
It's worth more to me than anyone else since I can't afford a new camera. It's either $435 for the repair (including CPS membership) or $1100+ for a 7D in the loyalty program, plus a grip, extra batteries, and larger CF cards.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 08, 2010 10:05 |  #24

Well you still seemed down about it, I was trying to help.. :)

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

fourelements99
287 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 08, 2010 10:06 |  #25

Sorry to hear that. How many shutter actuation was on the shutter before it died?

In2Photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
19,808 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 08, 2010 10:12 |  #26

tkbslc wrote in post #11058156 (external link)
Well you still seemed down about it, I was trying to help.. :)

Well, yeah I'm still a little down. I'd rather have a MKII with a working shutter of 100,000 and already paid for than a MKII with 0 shutter count and $435 spent. ;) Luckily this camera is still in mint condition and all else seems to be working fine (fingers crossed, knocking on wood). I don't mind shooting the 30D every now and then, but I miss the feel, speed, and balance of the MKII. :)

In2Photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
19,808 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 08, 2010 10:13 |  #27

fourelements99 wrote in post #11058162 (external link)
Sorry to hear that. How many shutter actuation was on the shutter before it died?

I haven't checked lately, but I'm guessing somewhere between 95,000 and 100,000.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,009 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 12, 2010 18:50 |  #28

In2Photos wrote in post #11058101 (external link)
Called Canon again this morning. Was told that the initial quotes for shutter are typically labor only as not all "shutter problems" require a whole shutter replacement. Some just require cleaning and others may need a blade replaced or straightened. In my case the entire shutter needed replacement so that accounts for the difference in price.

Given the shutter unit doesn't come as seperate parts, I think they're telling you porkies. There is only one part number for the shutter so you can't get blades on their own from Canon spares. As for "straightening" blades, if they have a reason to bend, then the unit should be replaced anyway...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

hardcorewaterfowl
165 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 13, 2010 16:51 |  #29

I sent my 1D MarkII in last week for a shutter replacement.Because of the holiday it didn't get in the system until Tuesday. I got an email yesterday at 11:45 am with the estimate, I called immediately and paid the estimate. Fed Ex delivered it today at 1:30 pm. A 1 day turn around!!!!! This was the New Jersey repair center, total cost was $328.60.

In2Photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
19,808 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 14, 2010 07:44 |  #30

Got mine back on Tuesday. They replaced both the shutter and pentaprism assembly. Then adjusted exposure and cleaned the unit.

hardcorewaterfowl wrote in post #11091068 (external link)
I sent my 1D MarkII in last week for a shutter replacement.Because of the holiday it didn't get in the system until Tuesday. I got an email yesterday at 11:45 am with the estimate, I called immediately and paid the estimate. Fed Ex delivered it today at 1:30 pm. A 1 day turn around!!!!! This was the New Jersey repair center, total cost was $328.60.

With or without CPS discount?

sponsored links

6,062 views & 0 likes for this thread
Oh Shut!!!...............ter
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.