Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 19:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1ds III or 5d mk II

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 08, 2010 02:08 |  #16

Shadowblade wrote in post #11056533 (external link)
5D2:

- Slightly better overall IQ
- Pattern noise in shadow areas visible at low ISO
- Less noise at high ISO
- Much better for long exposures - no ugly, uneven colour cast/glow
- Good live view system
- Half the size, weight and price, but missing certain key features, e.g. good AF

1Ds3:

- No pattern noise visible at low ISO
- Slightly noisier at high ISO
- Can produce ugly, uneven glow in long exposures (e.g. star trails, or with strong ND filters, or in natural light just after sunset)
- Live view works, but only just.
- Twice the size and weight of the 5D2
- For the cost of the 1Ds3, you can get a 5D2 and a very nice lens, or two 5D2s...

For landscapes/travel? 5D2 all the way - the long-exposure performance kills the 1Ds3, and the better live view and lower weight of the 5D2 is icing on the cake.

I don't know where you're getting the glow from but, I don't see it. :)

sponsored links
Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 08, 2010 02:15 |  #17

jdizzle wrote in post #11056657 (external link)
I don't know where you're getting the glow from but, I don't see it. :)

Seems like all the 1Ds-series bodies suffer from a degree of amp glow you just don't see in the 5D2. But, I guess it depends on your definition of 'long exposure', and also the temperature and climate conditions you take long exposure shots in!

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 08, 2010 02:17 |  #18

Shadowblade wrote in post #11056681 (external link)
Seems like all the 1Ds-series bodies suffer from a degree of amp glow you just don't see in the 5D2. But, I guess it depends on your definition of 'long exposure', and also the temperature and climate conditions you take long exposure shots in!

I've done long exposures at an extreme 90 seconds and never seen it happen.

IMAGE: http://DLImaging.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v9/p273927967-4.jpg

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 08, 2010 02:30 |  #19

jdizzle wrote in post #11056688 (external link)
I've done long exposures at an extreme 90 seconds and never seen it happen.

QUOTED IMAGE

90 seconds isn't extreme - I'm talking about 5 minutes, 10 minutes, half an hour, even three or four hour exposures.

Also, it's far more noticeable in deep shadows (e.g. night skies).

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 08, 2010 02:33 |  #20

Shadowblade wrote in post #11056737 (external link)
90 seconds isn't extreme - I'm talking about 5 minutes, 10 minutes, half an hour, even three or four hour exposures.

Also, it's far more noticeable in deep shadows (e.g. night skies).

How many people actually sit there and expose that long? Do you have that kind of time to sit for a four hour exposure? All sensors will generate noise and heat. :)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 08, 2010 02:36 |  #21

jdizzle wrote in post #11056744 (external link)
How many people actually sit there and expose that long? Do you have that kind of time to sit for a four hour exposure? All sensors will generate noise and heat. :)

When camping overnight in remote and picturesque places? Definitely - landscapes look quite different when they're starlit rather than sunlit. You also need such long exposures for astrophotography (whether star trails, aurorae or via a tracking mount).

I'm not saying it's a huge consideration for most people, but it's certainly one to keep in mind if you do that sort of photography.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 08, 2010 02:41 |  #22

Shadowblade wrote in post #11056749 (external link)
When camping overnight in remote and picturesque places? Definitely. You also need such long exposures for astrophotography (whether star trails, aurorae or via a tracking mount).

Well, if you have the time, kudos to you.:) Here's a nice sample of a 10 minute exposure taken by no other than Marc Adamus. Of course there's noise removal done but, I don't see any glow in his images. :)

http://photo.net …b/photo?photo_i​d=11112018 (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 08, 2010 02:45 |  #23

jdizzle wrote in post #11056756 (external link)
Well, if you have the time, kudos to you.:) Here's a nice sample of a 10 minute exposure taken by no other than Marc Adamus. Of course there's noise removal done but, I don't see any glow in his images. :)

http://photo.net …b/photo?photo_i​d=11112018 (external link)

Fantastic shot!

Can't say for certain, but it looks like there may be some bluish-green glow in the foreground shadows. If anything, it's very subtle, though, since it's just starting to show at around 10 minutes; also, in dramatically-lit scenes like that, with a lot of strong colours in play, it can be hard to distinguish amp glow from natural lighting.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 08, 2010 02:53 |  #24

Shadowblade wrote in post #11056764 (external link)
Fantastic shot!

Can't say for certain, but it looks like there may be some bluish-green glow in the foreground shadows. If anything, it's very subtle, though, since it's just starting to show at around 10 minutes; also, in dramatically-lit scenes like that, with a lot of strong colours in play, it can be hard to distinguish amp glow from natural lighting.

I do see it but, if you print it on paper, it won't even show up. All digital cameras will exhibit noise even with proper exposure. This is why I don't get finicky with it anymore. :)

To the OP. No matter what camera you choose, they will both make great images. If you got the coin to justify the 1Ds then go for it. If you want to save some money, get the 5D II. You are the deciding factor on spending it. Not us. :)

PUREVIL
752 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 08, 2010 02:59 |  #25

Holy cow how do you do a 10 minute shot? I've done a 30 second one nothing longer than that! I feel like these cameras are way beyond my ability, but i dont care Im trying to learn damn it! LOL

Jdizzle those images are sweet... that second one is amazing!

1DX |1Ds MKIII | 7D | 40D | 10-22mm f/3.5 | 50mm f/1.2L | 50mm f/1.4 | 100mm macro f/2.8 | 17-55mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | (3) 580EXII | Lots Of Other Canon Gear And Accessories.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 08, 2010 03:07 |  #26

PUREVIL wrote in post #11056809 (external link)
Holy cow how do you do a 10 minute shot? I've done a 30 second one nothing longer than that! I feel like these cameras are way beyond my ability, but i dont care Im trying to learn damn it! LOL

Jdizzle those images are sweet... that second one is amazing!

I've never tried but, I should. :) Extreme exposures is fun but, you better have a good workflow to reduce noise. Thanks for the kind words PureEvil. :)

asamimasa
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 08, 2010 05:21 |  #27

Once you go 1D, its so hard to go back to the smaller bodies. However, I'd rather go for a 5DII and some good glass

Gear List here

swjim
Goldmember
1,669 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 08, 2010 08:03 |  #28

Even though the 1D Mk IV isn't FF I would probably go for it or the 5D Mk II in this situation. Canon always keep us guessing but with the Mk IV being released this year I would imagine that a 1DS Mk IV shouldn't be too far behind and the prices of the 1DS Mk III will likely drop quickly once they do.

If you absolutely need to the AF or body features of a FF 1D series immediately then the choice is easy. :) Good luck with your decision, you can't go wrong with any of these bodies.

Jim

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 08, 2010 08:25 |  #29

asamimasa wrote in post #11057088 (external link)
Once you go 1D, its so hard to go back to the smaller bodies. However, I'd rather go for a 5DII and some good glass

Going from 1D3 to 7D was the easiest move I'd ever done! Half the weight on my hips, a slimmer camera holster, three times as many pixels on target and an equal AF system? Not a difficult choice for a wildlife camera as part of a general travel kit! (for a dedicated wildlife trip I'd probably put up with the inconvenience of the 1D4, though, as, in that case, the extra bulk pales in comparison to the supertele primes I'd e carrying, and the extra features could be useful)

fourelements99
287 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 08, 2010 09:51 |  #30

You forgot some key features on 1Ds3 - 63-zone exposure metering, 19 cross-type auto focus system, solid built and weather sealed body, dual memory card slot, better flash control.

Shadowblade wrote in post #11056533 (external link)
5D2:

- Slightly better overall IQ
- Pattern noise in shadow areas visible at low ISO
- Less noise at high ISO
- Much better for long exposures - no ugly, uneven colour cast/glow
- Good live view system
- Half the size, weight and price, but missing certain key features, e.g. good AF

1Ds3:

- No pattern noise visible at low ISO
- Slightly noisier at high ISO
- Can produce ugly, uneven glow in long exposures (e.g. star trails, or with strong ND filters, or in natural light just after sunset)
- Live view works, but only just.
- Twice the size and weight of the 5D2
- For the cost of the 1Ds3, you can get a 5D2 and a very nice lens, or two 5D2s...

For landscapes/travel? 5D2 all the way - the long-exposure performance kills the 1Ds3, and the better live view and lower weight of the 5D2 is icing on the cake.

sponsored links

4,690 views & 0 likes for this thread
1ds III or 5d mk II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.