Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 04 Oct 2010 (Monday) 08:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

60D skatepark.

Martin.D
Goldmember
2,460 posts
Gallery: 150 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 07, 2010 02:32 |  #16

midduke wrote in post #11047322 (external link)
Martin google a bleach pass, it's not to involved.
Dan, I understand what you are saying but you trying asking a bunch of people at a local skatepark to not skate in a particular part of the park so you can take pictures, and see what happens.

Thank you for the pointer, will see what I can find..

Web Site (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Instagram (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D Mark IV + Canon 90D + Glass

sponsored links
midduke
THREAD ­ STARTER
109 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 07, 2010 03:31 |  #17

No worries man, sorry I didn't explain it properly in my last post, I was at work. It's basically a replication of the old bleach by pass used in film processing. Back then it did exactly what it says it does, you would skip the bleaching part of processing the film. In photoshop however you can replicate it by playing with desaturation some overlay filters and a high pass filter. There are heaps of tutorials on the net though.

Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

Acute ­ Exposure
940 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 07, 2010 03:45 |  #18

Nice set. I have tried to capture compelling skate shots several times and I just can't seem to nail it down. Maybe a good project for me to continue.

Website (Updated Recently) (external link)
Flickr (Constantly Updated) (external link)
Canon 1Ds3 - 7D - 24-105mm F4 L IS - 70-200mm F2.8 L IS II (Always attached) - 50mm 1.8 (Never gets used) - 1.4x MKii - 580EX II - 430EX II - Lots of other gadgets

midduke
THREAD ­ STARTER
109 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 07, 2010 04:21 |  #19

It's all about the timing haha.

Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

danpayneuk
292 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 07, 2010 10:32 as a reply to  @ midduke's post |  #20

I know what you mean about asking people to move, but it is possible. It can be a pain though sometimes.

It wasnt just the people that made it clutterd. Maybe trying shooting lower down so you can see the ledge, but the skater or bmxer have the sky for the background.

Or try shooting higher so you have the concrete floor as a background and would give a diferent perspective.

Skateparks are far from the best places to shoot as they tend to be real busy and the background usual look nasty unless you get a decent compostion.

FluidVisions Photography (external link)

snoop99
588 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 07, 2010 14:21 as a reply to  @ danpayneuk's post |  #21

great pics I would move back further and crop less since is always good to see where the skater will end at the end of the trick;)

5D MarkII 70-200 IS F/2.8 II L, Canon 24-70 2.8 II L[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Blac​k], Canon 17-40 L, Canon 50 F/1.4, Canon 2X II, 580EXII Canon S100
Flickr (external link)
http://dcphotofixed.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

joonrhee
Goldmember
3,875 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 07, 2010 19:57 |  #22

Great set! and loving the pp on these. :)

a7RII • V12 • L21 • S24GM • S85
a6600 • S16C • S30C • S56C
Full Gear List & Feedback
SmugMug (external link)

prodigee
182 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 08, 2010 09:19 as a reply to  @ danpayneuk's post |  #23

The problem is that a skate park is typically filled with ramps, pipes, rails, etc, so there really is nothing you can do about that, its like going into the woods and shooting mountain biking, try making the background clear without a ton of trees screwing up your comp.

Personally I think this is a great set, background isn't crazy busy, just looks like a skate park (which is fitting haha), I love the last two shots, really gives a "reach for the sky" type feel. Great set!

flickr (external link)

Ekean
111 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 08, 2010 20:59 |  #24

my only critique is to watch your backgrounds. If they're cluttered, try shooting a wider aperture to blur the background?

the last few shots are interesting, but I agree that I'd like to see where they're coming from. In the sky doesn't tell the whole story. Is he 2 feet above coping? or 10?

Nikon D3s | Nikon 20 f/1.8g | Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art | Nikon 85 f/1.8g |

TJMKII
58 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 08, 2010 23:10 |  #25

I agree, these are all really nice and good choice for neutral color scheme!!

1Ds MKII, 5d MKII, MAMIYA 645AF, EPSON 4880, Broncolor , RB67 ProS, Sigma 12-24 DGII, Canon 24-105L, Wacom, Apple, Epson, EIZO
Nothing Nikon....:cool:

midduke
THREAD ­ STARTER
109 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 08, 2010 23:20 |  #26

Thanks a bunch for the feedback guys, it's really appreciated. I do agree to some extent about the background being busy, but I also believe the pictures has to tell a story and having the skatepark in the background adds to the story. Thanks again.

Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

robie
317 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 09, 2010 01:27 |  #27

danpayneuk wrote in post #11051922 (external link)
I know what you mean about asking people to move, but it is possible. It can be a pain though sometimes.

It wasnt just the people that made it clutterd. Maybe trying shooting lower down so you can see the ledge, but the skater or bmxer have the sky for the background.

Or try shooting higher so you have the concrete floor as a background and would give a diferent perspective.

Skateparks are far from the best places to shoot as they tend to be real busy and the background usual look nasty unless you get a decent compostion.

I have to disagree with this completely... NEVER and I mean NEVER EVER ask people to move just so you can take shots. They will swear at you and most likely try and kick you out of the area. What you see is what you get and if you can't manage with the filled skate park, move somewhere else. Always show respect to the people there and in return you will get respect back. This is what I hate most about photographers (not saying you) but a lot of photographers do not know a lot or almost anything about the sport (same with reporters) and they disrespect the sport and athletes entirely without even knowing it. The reporters end up asking stupid/disrespectful questions from this because they don't know the game and don't think prior to what they ask. If you want to shoot a certain sport, always have a general idea of the sport, how the athletes would react, etc. I hate seeing photographers who think they can get away with anything and disrespect the sports and athletes completely. This is why so many athletes hate photographers is because they get in their faces.

midduke
THREAD ­ STARTER
109 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 09, 2010 02:56 |  #28

robie wrote in post #11062427 (external link)
I have to disagree with this completely... NEVER and I mean NEVER EVER ask people to move just so you can take shots. They will swear at you and most likely try and kick you out of the area. What you see is what you get and if you can't manage with the filled skate park, move somewhere else. Always show respect to the people there and in return you will get respect back. This is what I hate most about photographers (not saying you) but a lot of photographers do not know a lot or almost anything about the sport (same with reporters) and they disrespect the sport and athletes entirely without even knowing it. The reporters end up asking stupid/disrespectful questions from this because they don't know the game and don't think prior to what they ask. If you want to shoot a certain sport, always have a general idea of the sport, how the athletes would react, etc. I hate seeing photographers who think they can get away with anything and disrespect the sports and athletes completely. This is why so many athletes hate photographers is because they get in their faces.

AMEN. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

danpayneuk
292 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 09, 2010 07:41 |  #29

robie wrote in post #11062427 (external link)

Think we are better off to agree to disagree.

Im a bmxer and spend alot of time in skateparks. I shoot in them frequently as well. If I cant get the shot I am after coz of people in the way and its super busy I will just go back another time with the rider or skater. If its only a few people in the way, they pretty much dont mind moving for a few minutes, as they are intruiged by what we are doing.

If they refuse to move (which I havent found yet, but sure I will sooner or later) then you simply try something different or come back when its quieter.

Your not asking them to get out of the way for hours at a time. Using a bit of common sense and manners goes along way.

FluidVisions Photography (external link)

sponsored links

3,848 views & 0 likes for this thread
60D skatepark.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.