Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 15 Oct 2008 (Wednesday) 06:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A stark reminder to us all

S-S
frustrating simple something
8,751 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 29, 2008 01:13 |  #16

tim i totally agree, professional event photos are often seen as a bonus or a luxury until something like that happens and suddenly they are so precious

great post, thanks for reminding us all!

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,038 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 29, 2008 09:25 |  #17

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #6582018 (external link)
Forgive me for horning in but I just wanted to say that I like the sentiment being expressed here...

It's not just "family" events where capturing images may be of some emotional benefit at a later time. The flying community is litterally peppered with instances where a quickie "snap shot" taken at a pancake fly in or barbeque turns out to be the last image captured of a friend and fellow pilot.

Cherish the moments .. Live in the moments .. Hold on the memories

Yes, events do provide a prime opportunity for memories.

Yet, I think the point of the OP was (and I agree) that we are so busy documenting the marriage of the bride and groom that we forget the importance of all the other attendees (especially those from far away) as among the memories important to the bride and groom.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 29, 2008 13:48 |  #18

Wilt wrote in post #6583521 (external link)
Yes, events do provide a prime opportunity for memories.

Yet, I think the point of the OP was (and I agree) that we are so busy documenting the marriage of the bride and groom that we forget the importance of all the other attendees (especially those from far away) as among the memories important to the bride and groom.

Ah...

Then allow me apologize again for barging in. Very sorry... :oops:

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

buffy777
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 07, 2010 14:55 |  #19

It's hard to remember on the day of the wedding, when your formals with the bride and groom are going to be rushed, that those family shots that are eating up time might be really important some day in the near future. Thanks for this excellent reminder.

http://www.buffygoodma​n.com (external link) - Edmonton Wedding Photographer

Michelle ­ Brooks ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 08, 2010 09:20 |  #20

These are all great reminders for us to go over as we prepare for shooting weddings and other events. Also another reason to never devalue what it is we do.

Michelle Brooks Photography (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)
Gear List

MotoXPunk481
159 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 08, 2010 10:20 |  #21

Great post, TIm! You said that very well.

(2X) Canon EOS 5DII | Canon EOS 5D w/ Grip | Canon EOS 40D w/ Grip | Canon Digital Rebel XT w/ Grip | 16-35 2.8L II | (2X) 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 50 1.2L | 24 1.4L II | 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS | 100 2.8 macro | (3X) 580EX II

North Carolina Wedding Photography (external link)

drewandersonphoto
162 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 08, 2010 18:50 |  #22

Great post Tim, very touching reminder, and so so true!

-Megan-

Phoenix Arizona Wedding Photographer

isophotostudio
494 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 10, 2010 18:20 |  #23

We had that experience with my Grandmother, the only photos we really had were from weddings. Since starting to photograph weddings I make it a point not to throw away the photos of the older couples, even if they aren't "the best".

At a wedding last month I had good success photographing all the guests. I placed myself outside the doors to the reception hall and had everyone coming in pause before they could enter the receiving line. Definitely something I'll be repeating, much better light than during the table rounds, and easy to keep track of. I was thinking about taking a nice picture of the bride and groom and using compositing software to recreate it using all the guests portraits.

This is my camera, there are many like it, but this one is mine.
Canon 5D Mark 2/Gripped, Canon 7D, Canon 40D, Canon 28-135 f/3.5, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Sigma 150 f 2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8
Alien Bee 800 & 400, 2 Dynaphos DP-2497

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 10, 2010 19:09 |  #24

isophotostudio wrote in post #11070495 (external link)
At a wedding last month I had good success photographing all the guests. I placed myself outside the doors to the reception hall and had everyone coming in pause before they could enter the receiving line. Definitely something I'll be repeating, much better light than during the table rounds, and easy to keep track of. I was thinking about taking a nice picture of the bride and groom and using compositing software to recreate it using all the guests portraits.

We're getting a bit off topic here... but I prefer to do guest portraits when they're at the table. ISO800, 1/60th, F5 (all plus or minus a stop), FEC+1, bounce flash with white card out, you get nice, well exposed simple images with the background showing some detail.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 11, 2010 10:56 |  #25

So true and great post. I haven't experienced this yet but I'm in the process of applying as a volunteer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep after two friends lost their preemie babies in the past year... it's things like that that make you realize how important photography is to some families!

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

hollyjack0142
27 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 11, 2010 11:55 |  #26

tim wrote in post #11070792 (external link)
We're getting a bit off topic here... but I prefer to do guest portraits when they're at the table. ISO800, 1/60th, F5 (all plus or minus a stop), FEC+1, bounce flash with white card out, you get nice, well exposed simple images with the background showing some detail.

Hi, just to add to all of this, my best friend married 3 years ago in feb, and unfortunately as she was stepping out of dressing room in her dress for the first time, her father fell down the stairs and passed away from injuries, this was horrific, and a very bitter sweet day for my friend. She finally built up the courage only a few months ago, to ask the photographer if there were any photos of her father getting ready in the morning, unfortunately, there werent as all focus had been on gayle and the party helping her on the morning.

She often says to me, that it was the proudest day of her dads life, and unfortunately she has nothing to remind her of him on the morning of her wedding.

isophotostudio
494 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 11, 2010 13:48 |  #27

Oh dear lord, that is the most heart wrenching story I've ever heard.

This is my camera, there are many like it, but this one is mine.
Canon 5D Mark 2/Gripped, Canon 7D, Canon 40D, Canon 28-135 f/3.5, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Sigma 150 f 2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8
Alien Bee 800 & 400, 2 Dynaphos DP-2497

Focused ­ Moments
282 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 11, 2010 22:30 |  #28

Good post Tim.

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,286 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 07, 2018 11:18 |  #29

When my son got married the wedding photographer only took photos of the bride, groom, and their friends (bridesmaids and groomsmen). He did not take any photographs of the extended family--parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. At the wedding I mentioned that the photographer wasn't taking photos of family members, and my daughter-in-law said she didn't know why he wasn't doing that, but didn't ask him to do so. I wish I had asked him myself, or asked my son to ask him, but I didn't want to interfere. Now, not only are the wedding photos incomplete, but exactly one year after the wedding, my husband died unexpectedly. Had the photographer included us in the wedding photos, we might have had a nice, recent family photo that included him. Because the photographer did an incomplete job, we do not.

Marci
Constructive criticism always appreciated.
Gear
Pre-2018 Feedback :)

sponsored links

16,895 views & 1 like for this thread
A stark reminder to us all
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.