Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Sep 2010 (Saturday) 00:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is full-frame really that dramaticly better?

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 11, 2010 18:39 |  #646

Also no fumbling around when at a shoot and still having to change lenses. Oh I need an 85 if it's a 7D or a 135 if it's going on my 5DII. I still haven't had a shoot since acquiring the 7D but I expect I will be doing a lot more thinking if it comes to having to change lenses on one or both bodies. This is not a good thing. I started going through some past shoots in my head and the combination of focal lengths I would need. One thing that popped into my head was, maybe, the need to buy a 10-22.

I bought a 7D because I thought it would add some versatility on a shoot and I also really needed a second body to minimize lens changes. If I was really smart I would have bought a second 5DII, just because the different sensor size is going to be confusing, at least in the beginning until I find a system that works, most of the time.

Although the 7D has some cool features I wouldn't miss them. We'll see.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Erik_L
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 11, 2010 18:41 |  #647

RDKirk wrote in post #11077516 (external link)
When your needs involve the best characteristics of only one kind of camera, and you absolutely need that type of camera with no downtime permitted.

I suppose i'm mistaking "backup camera" for "second camera"

Canon EOS 1D III
Manfrotto 190X Pro B w/324RC2 "Action Head" | Canon 580EX II
Sigma 20 f/1.8 | Canon 35 f/1.4 L | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Canon 135 f/2 L
Flick (external link)r

dandan1
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 11, 2010 18:54 |  #648

All I'm saying is that I love my 1Ds over my previous XSi and 50D. All I care about is sharp, detailed and colorful representation of what I'm shooting and the 1Ds delivers in all of those aspects. Oh, and RAW editing is so much better and fun too with this FF.

ISOlution|Photography (external link)

ProD1gy_KiD
894 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 11, 2010 19:20 as a reply to  @ dandan1's post |  #649

thinking of picking up a used 5DC in the near future, i just want to experience the FF world and see how i like it i guess. :) at least i get the best of both worlds.

Stickman
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 11, 2010 19:27 |  #650

imjasonbassett wrote in post #11077014 (external link)
I don't know how you shoot, but I get all great shots with my camera.

That wins for most comical line I've read on this site.

Stick
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/stickgunner/ (external link)

crobs808
598 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 12, 2010 08:41 |  #651

dandan1 wrote in post #11077787 (external link)
All I'm saying is that I love my 1Ds over my previous XSi and 50D. All I care about is sharp, detailed and colorful representation of what I'm shooting and the 1Ds delivers in all of those aspects. Oh, and RAW editing is so much better and fun too with this FF.

"this FF"? It's the same for any FF. I know 100% without a doubt I could tell the difference between a 7D and a 5DII shot, but nobody can tell the difference between a 5dII shot and a 1Ds shot.

I think the 1Ds is overkill, for ANY application.

5DII | 28-135mm IS USM | 50mm II | HVX200
No trees were harmed in the creation of this post; however, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,997 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 12, 2010 08:50 as a reply to  @ crobs808's post |  #652

I think the 1Ds is overkill, for ANY application.

I think it works well for that Vogue editorial spread shot on location in a Taliban-held mountain village on the Pakistan/Afghanistan border.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 12, 2010 08:55 |  #653

I hear there is a waiting list to book that location ;-)a

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

crobs808
598 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 12, 2010 09:08 |  #654

ProD1gy_KiD wrote in post #11077919 (external link)
thinking of picking up a used 5DC in the near future, i just want to experience the FF world and see how i like it i guess. :) at least i get the best of both worlds.

If you are a fan of the new controls (30D, 40D or 50D, etc...) then you will be very disappointed with the 5D classic. Of course, the IQ jump is very much worth the "upgrade", you just have to be happier with a duller and smaller LCD, older Digic processor, etc...

I consider it an "upgrade" since it is a crop to a FF. I would rather own a 5D classic than a 7D any day of the week.

5DII | 28-135mm IS USM | 50mm II | HVX200
No trees were harmed in the creation of this post; however, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 12, 2010 09:12 |  #655

How often does anyone actually go into the menus. I do so only to check the battery status on my 5DII/7D or, rarely, to format the card (I almost always just delete on my PC).

Of all the cameras I have owned, I prefer the menu ssytem on the 5D the most. Simple, less crap, easy to find what you are looking for. The rear LCD is a handicap, though, but not a biggie (no pun intended).

Everything I need is available on a dial or button.

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,434 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 12, 2010 09:14 |  #656

bohdank wrote in post #11081714 (external link)
How often does anyone actually go into the menus. I do so only to check the battery status on my 5DII/7D or, rarely, to format the card (I almost always just delete on my PC).

Of all the cameras I have owned, I prefer the menu ssytem on the 5D the most. Simple, less crap, easy to find what you are looking for. The rear LCD is a handicap, though, but not a biggie (no pun intended).

Everything I need is available on a dial or button.

The new menu structure is indeed nicer to some extent, the My Menu is the best part of the redesign, although I don't know why they have it restricted to such a few number of items. I can now put my most-used CF settings there, as well as MLU. Since I shoot different situations each day, I use some of those often as well as bracketing needs, etc. I haven't taken the time to put bracketing into one of the Cx slots. I either use menu or Q, whatever grabs me at the moment.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 12, 2010 09:21 |  #657

The new menu system was out of necessity, imo. There are tons of settings now...putting them in one scrollable list would have been less than user friendly although when I want to fool around and try something, usually in the first week I have a new camera, I spend a lot of time hunting for the setting I want to change.

Yes, the My Menu is the only place I go. Format/Battery Info/MLU/Liveview something or other (5DII).

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,997 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 12, 2010 09:47 as a reply to  @ bohdank's post |  #658

"My Menu" is great. I'd also appreciate more C settings on the dial (they can get rid of the "creative" modes to make room). It would be nice if the top LCD had an indicator to show that you're in a "C" setting.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,434 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 12, 2010 09:52 |  #659

RDKirk wrote in post #11081910 (external link)
"My Menu" is great. I'd also appreciate more C settings on the dial (they can get rid of the "creative" modes to make room). It would be nice if the top LCD had an indicator to show that you're in a "C" setting.

That is an excellent idea! I even think they could come up with a new summary info screen that you could pull up once you moved to a C slot, which could serve to remind you what you have set up in that slot. At a minimum, allow a description to be entered.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

imjasonbassett
734 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 12, 2010 10:08 |  #660

crobs808 wrote in post #11081699 (external link)
If you are a fan of the new controls (30D, 40D or 50D, etc...) then you will be very disappointed with the 5D classic. Of course, the IQ jump is very much worth the "upgrade", you just have to be happier with a duller and smaller LCD, older Digic processor, etc...

I consider it an "upgrade" since it is a crop to a FF. I would rather own a 5D classic than a 7D any day of the week.

The 7D IQ is nothing short of great.. and it has better metering. But the 5D takes the edge.

www.jason-bassett.comexternal link
Tools: 5D mkii, 135L,
35L, 100mm Macro 2.8
sold HERE :) [I] (70-200 F4, 17-40, 85mm 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, Canon 135L, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 24-70L Einstein640, Kacey Dish + Grid, Cybersyncs, 5D classic)

sponsored links

68,416 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is full-frame really that dramaticly better?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.