Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 11 Oct 2010 (Monday) 17:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Oops. One slight oversight may be costly...

angryhampster
"Got a thick monopod?"
3,860 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 11, 2010 17:03 |  #1

I'm reviewing and sorting photos shot at last weekend's wedding and I just realized something a bit unsettling. I clean all my gear prior to shooting a paid event of course. However I must have missed the rear element of my 24-70. There was a huge fingerprint on it the entire day, resulting in a lot of this in the wide shots:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …hampster/2010/f​lare01.jpg (external link)

I'm very, very worried at this point, and I've only looked through about 30 photos.

Let this be a reminder to everyone to always take extra care cleaning and handling lenses. I'll post a full set in the next week or so, hopefully they're salvageable.

Steve Lexa
Iowa City Wedding Photography (external link)

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
51,006 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 11, 2010 17:09 |  #2

I don't see any problem with that image. A bit of flare, but that's normal in that light.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

angryhampster
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Got a thick monopod?"
3,860 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 11, 2010 17:18 |  #3

It's a bit extreme for a 24-70 with a hood and no filter. It apparently caused focusing problems as well. I've got ~2x as many out of focus shots as I normally do, and in bright light.

However, having gone through some more I think I'll be fine. There are a few that are toast, but most are just fine. Just had a knee-jerk reaction of sheer horror so I thought I'd post it. :)

Steve Lexa

viet
Goldmember
1,019 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 11, 2010 18:01 |  #4

I don't see a problem with that shot either.

Where I live, we need to check our lens fairly often for condensation from indoor to outdoor. It became a habit, always have a micro cloth to clean my lens in my pocket.

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 11, 2010 19:04 |  #5

angryhampster wrote in post #11077314 (external link)
It's a bit extreme for a 24-70 with a hood and no filter.

I had the same reaction as Tim; just looks like sun flare and it's not an unpleasant image. The couple knows not of 24-70's and hoods, they only know whether or not it looks nice.

A good warning/reminder nonetheless. I always carefully inspect the front lens before every wedding but having looked at the rear in a long time and probably should.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

tim
Light Bringer
51,006 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 11, 2010 20:28 |  #6

I never go out of my way to inspect or clean my lenses. If I happen to notice something on them i'll clean them, but that's pretty rare. I keep caps on both ends when they're not in use.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

angryhampster
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Got a thick monopod?"
3,860 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 11, 2010 21:04 |  #7

Thanks for the encouragement. :) I'm actually very happy with the way the photos turned out. Finished with the initial sort and have gone through and processed a handful.

Clearly all is not lost!

http://img.photobucket​.com …mpster/2010/gra​y02web.jpg (external link)

The 24-70 is such a versatile lens.

Steve Lexa

mmahoney
Goldmember
2,789 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 11, 2010 21:17 |  #8

tim wrote in post #11078321 (external link)
I never go out of my way to inspect or clean my lenses. If I happen to notice something on them i'll clean them, but that's pretty rare. I keep caps on both ends when they're not in use.

+1

I clean my lenses front elements maybe twice a year, and most see use several times a week .. never use filters either except the odd ND or polarizer.

Rear elements? .. I have cleaned exactly one rear element, once. In 20 years shooting.

Keep caps on them, use hoods, and reasonable care and you'll be fine.

Newfoundland Wedding Photographer (external link)

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 11, 2010 21:59 |  #9

I don't ever touch lens elements, so a fingerprint would surprise me if I found one. I always keep caps on the lenses unless shooting with them. I use hoods as well.

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 11, 2010 22:41 |  #10

I'm also very careful with all of my gear; always stored in the case, caps always on, etc. I even go through crazy mechanizations just so the body is open with out a lens for the least possible amount of time. That said, I've fumbled a few times and accidentally touched the front lens with a finger, but never have done that to the back.

I do, however, manage to collect quite a bit of dust on my lenses which needs to be swept away pretty regularly. Sometimes even during a wedding shoot despite having done so just that morning.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

trickydan
177 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 11, 2010 23:56 |  #11

actually i cant see anything wrong with that! i never think of myself as much of a 'by the book' person, i love winging things and am pretty calm when stuff goes bad and i always carry lenses casually in my pockets but for some reason ive always been a front and rear lens cap/UV filters person.. maybe its because it doesnt take overly long to pop the caps on/off and since im a cheapskate also i'll try to keep all the glass in nice condition

also, one shoot i did agess ago with this girl i was shooting away and about halfway through i was just switching from horizontal to portrait, and 10 shots later i checked the lcd and there was a small black mark on the pictures! it was small viewing on my 1.8" nikon d70 screen :P anyway it appeared something had gotten on the sensor - must have come inside during one of my super fast lens changes, but i decided we'd keep shooting and photoshop it out cause we were at such a killer location with awesome light! little did i realise it was the most tedious set of photos ive ever edited! it put me off for ages and took me weeks and weeks to finish lol... this was before i had a backup camera~

and here is the mark (on her right cheek), it got annoying when the mark was on hard to recover places like her nose or mouth! i ended up recovering the good shots completely tho and no one knew the difference!

http://i90.photobucket​.com …ntyshot/DSC_097​7copy3.jpg (external link)

trickydan's website! (external link)
gear

sponsored links

2,218 views & 0 likes for this thread
Oops. One slight oversight may be costly...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.