Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 Oct 2010 (Tuesday) 22:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lowballed?

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 12, 2010 22:00 |  #1

I don't know if I'm seeking advice or just ranting, but here goes...

I have been approached by a person to purchase a photo of mine for a nearby Congressperson's re-election website. Unlimited non-exclusive web use. Talked with the guy today. They're purchasing three photos from three photographers. The other two have already sold.

He volunteered sale info. One shot was for $10. Might as well have given it away for free. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

The other was for $20. :-|

I told him that I'll seem expensive by comparison. I sold a similar shot for virtually identical purposes to the local state university earlier this year for $49... which is still kind cheap, I think, but I was satisfied with that.

He didn't like that answer. Talked about taxpayer money (not my problem) and questioned how many times I had already sold it (not his concern), then went on to say the complete overhaul of their website is going to cost a few thousand already.

I offered to split the difference and sell at $35. Not sure why I did that, but I did. Anyway, he said anything over $20 would be a no-go.

I told him I'd look into it and get back to him, but I'm seriously leaning toward declining the sale.

/rant off, I guess.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

sponsored links
Jigglypuff
101 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 12, 2010 22:05 |  #2

To paraphrase my mentor, a photo sale should at least be able to buy you a nice steak dinner, so I'd say no as well.

Edit: Another option would be to sell two/three photos at $20 each.

dche5390
714 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 12, 2010 22:10 |  #3

Give it a pass. Unlimited non-exclusive web use? Hell no.

angusporter.com (external link)

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 12, 2010 22:14 |  #4

He would have hung up on me.

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

Concretin ­ Nik
266 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 12, 2010 23:03 |  #5

I'm just a GWC... I've offered photos to a global construction design firm for $20 each (in sets of 20 or more)... but to a politician? Yea, they would have hung up on me too. Taxpayers money MY A-S-S.

But hey, it's your photo. Unless of course you really believe in this politician, I think you'd regret it every moment after you said ok.

Knowledge, Talent, Experience, Success. None of these excuse arrogance.

Dennis_Hammer
820 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 13, 2010 06:00 as a reply to  @ Concretin Nik's post |  #6

Your answer was in his justification. They are paying thousands of dollars to redo their website (also taxpayer money) but only want to pay $20 for content. I would say no resoundingly. Also I would point out to him that you have to pay taxes on that money.

J ­ Michael
998 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 13, 2010 06:02 |  #7

Surely you have one that's not so flattering to sell to his opponent, for more.

Oh, and the taxpayer comment was interesting. Why aren't they using their campaign donations for this?

jcpoulin
Goldmember
2,447 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 13, 2010 06:10 |  #8

For business purposes....those who sold for $10 and $20 are idiots. Fifty for unlimited use is even low...buy at least acceptable. They ( the buyers) have costs.....but so don't you. The guy who sold it for $10...spent $1 on the disc, time to process, and drive it or mail it somewhere....probably cost him more than $10!!

1DX , 7D,16-35, 24-70 2.8II, 2.8L II, , 70-200 f2.8LII IS, 300 f2.8L IS, 500 f4 IS, 100-400L, Canon 100 2.8 macro, Canon 1.4X, 580ex, AB800X4
Canon CPS Member, PPA
www.capturingtimephoto​graphy.net (external link)

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 13, 2010 09:15 |  #9

Taxpayer money? Shouldn't that be coming out of campaign donations put into the general fund??? Campaign funds and not tax payer money, I'd be questioning that immediately.

BTW - I don't know how many of you are actually published, but many of the top sites are paying $5-20 routinely for images (unlimited no), some even less and some are free when they use the image in print as well. Little different than this, having unlimited usage should be more expensive. Some photographers volunteer their work for the campaigns they believe in, some will shoot events free for politicians they believe in. Just like any other field of photography, all levels are present.

I'd stick to my guns, just did with a company that said they'd use less because of our price - that's fine, we have to get the best value we can while not undercutting other customers making them pay a higher amount for the same exact usage.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

photoguy6405
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 13, 2010 09:23 |  #10

I paraphrased for brevity. He did say taxpayer money, then stumbled a bit and semi-corrected himself and said it was for a re-election website, but he didn't fully correct himself. He works for the Congressperson, btw. This was not the actual Congressperson.

I'm a devoted centrist, and I picked "Decline to State" on my voter registration, so party-affiliation means nothing to me. I'd be perfectly happy to make the same sale to either or both sides. I just find the generic political aspect interesting as a kind of side-twist.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 13, 2010 10:31 |  #11

Talked about taxpayer money (not my problem) and questioned how many times I had already sold it (not his concern), then went on to say the complete overhaul of their website is going to cost a few thousand already.

And that's a reason to screw the photog? "We spent all our money!" seems to be a common song among politicians. I first heard it 40 years ago, & wouldn't shoot them after that without payment in advance.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Shockey
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 13, 2010 10:44 |  #12

Really... you are spending this much energy on a $20. sale. Hindsight, you should have told him the price and he would either buy it or not.
Especially polititicians and their cronies, biggest crooks on the planet, never give them a discount.

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 13, 2010 23:59 |  #13

PhotosGuy wrote in post #11088928 (external link)
And that's a reason to screw the photog? "We spent all our money!" seems to be a common song among politicians. I first heard it 40 years ago, & wouldn't shoot them after that without payment in advance.

Among politicians? I've heard this from editors as well, this and that costs so much, bla bla bla bla bla bla bla...magazines, card companies, newspapers, MLB teams, MANY places.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 14, 2010 09:08 as a reply to  @ MJPhotos24's post |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

If you need to Congressman's money to pay the heating bill or feed your kid, take it. I suspect that's not the case, though...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,893 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 14, 2010 09:32 |  #15

MJPhotos24 wrote in post #11088533 (external link)
Taxpayer money? Shouldn't that be coming out of campaign donations ... Campaign funds and not tax payer money, I'd be questioning that immediately.

My reaction exactly reading this first post. I used to work for an elected official.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links

2,868 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lowballed?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.