Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
Thread started 12 Oct 2010 (Tuesday) 02:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

V8 Supercars - SCA Bathurst 1000, 2010 - First time! C&C PLEASE!

ShauningtoN
540 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 12, 2010 02:38 |  #1

Well, I thought this place would be absolutely overflowing with shots from the weekend, but it seems I am the first???

Well, I am a first time motorsport shooter here, so be gentle. Shooting the weekend was a secondary consideration. I didn't go out of my way to get great shots, I just snapped a few and kept walking. Just being there was enough to me.

Ive got about 1000 shots from the weekend, and I just cropped batched them and grabbed a quick handful to show here. nothing special PP wise, just quick and nasty. I've never done any motorsport, so I'm not sure how to approach the crops and processing, so I just did my best. Also note I edited these on uncalibrated laptop monitor, I returned home to learn my desktops power supply has shat itself...

I'll kick it off with a few in here, but theres an 80 or so gallery of a few random ones from the weekend that I'll link at the bottom. Please note, I picked a few for the content over the technical brilliance (especially that ugly, ugly 100% crop) so please note that.

There was a LOT of fences and people to shoot around, so it was hard. I would've looooooved freedom of a press pass, if anything just to get better angles. The stands etc. were generally a lot higher than the cars, which makes the photos seem very much like they are exactly what they are - Spectator photos. I did what I could, though!

LOTSSSSS of C&C wanted please! It was my first time : O
Fabian Coultards Bundy Commodore after 'that' (external link) crash
Here is a screenshot from a video I have of the aftermath:
http://img804.imagesha​ck.us/img804/3163/scre​enyvideo.png (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

http://client.shaunpai​nephoto.com …mages/medium/_M​G_7532.jpg (external link)
http://client.shaunpai​nephoto.com …mages/medium/_M​G_6927.jpg (external link)
http://client.shaunpai​nephoto.com …mages/medium/_M​G_7656.jpg (external link)
http://client.shaunpai​nephoto.com …mages/medium/_M​G_7775.jpg (external link)
http://client.shaunpai​nephoto.com …images/small/_M​G_7840.jpg (external link)

Here is the gallery for those who want to see more! (external link)

The shots are captioned down the bottom

Enjoy, and please C&C! Especially composition as I really struggled with that while cropping and indeed shooting, particularly on the wider shots.

A few bodies and lenses..

sponsored links
frizzle
430 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 12, 2010 05:28 |  #2

Nice Shaun - A bit of everything. You must have done a bit of walking?
I like to check out the settings people shot with, but there doesn't seem to be any exif data.
Good job.

Canon EOS 1D Mark III * Sony Alpha A7R * Canon 70-200mm F2.8L * 400mm F5.6L * Samyang 14mm F2.8 * Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Xr Di * Canon TS-E 24L II
MY Flickr (external link)

ShauningtoN
THREAD ­ STARTER
540 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 12, 2010 05:40 |  #3

Thanks very much!!

Yeah I'm pretty sure EXIF got stripped when I batched them down for the gallery.

Sure did some walking! I'm bloody stuffed! haha.. And then drove 9 hours home after the race, was up for 27 hours! Dangerous stuff.

Umm, back to the EXIF, it was a mixed bag depending on the shots. Mix of AV or Manual for the panning shots, in the chase about 1/200-1/400th (as even 1/400 at 300kmh was enough to get the impression of speed) and other places 1/125ish? ISO 100-200, apertures anywhere from f/5.6 to f/13. For 90% of my time there I was shooting to 'Pan' and not to freeze, sort of regret not trying to get some cool frozen shots (sparks or dust etc.). 90% of the shots were on 7D + Sig 1.4x + 70-200 2.8, and the few wide shots were 1D IIN + 24-70 2.8, only because length was a priority for the most part. Majority of shots are cropped quite a way, too.

Hope that helps! if not I can post some up.

frizzle
430 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 12, 2010 05:49 |  #4

Thanks for taking the trouble Shaun. I've never been to Bathurst but intend making the trek from Melbourne next year. Will be at motogp at PI this weekend though :)

Canon EOS 1D Mark III * Sony Alpha A7R * Canon 70-200mm F2.8L * 400mm F5.6L * Samyang 14mm F2.8 * Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Xr Di * Canon TS-E 24L II
MY Flickr (external link)

ShauningtoN
THREAD ­ STARTER
540 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 12, 2010 05:52 |  #5

ha! I might see you there, small chance I'll be going. I struggled for length at Bathurst with cars, I can only imagine what it's going to be like with bikes at PI!

Thanks for the comments :)

realitysays
340 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 12, 2010 07:05 |  #6

Mate for a first time motorsport shooter you did amazing! Great job.
I was planning on heading to bathurst but i'm going to leave it next year. Had an event to attend, but looks like spectators have great vantage points photography wise!

2012 Cams Accredited Motorsport Photographer
Follow Me on Facebook! (external link)
www.flickr.com/photos/​koryleung/ (external link)
www.koryleungphotograp​hy.com.au (external link) - Motorsports & Automotive Photography

ShauningtoN
THREAD ­ STARTER
540 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 12, 2010 07:08 |  #7

Thanks mate!!

The spots weren't bad, but the fences really killed a lot of them. Reid especially, It was really hard, especially with the people, to try and get some shots with the cars under load through there, especially with the lack of length I had. Wasn't all bad though!

Thanks again! You'll love it next year!

BenMac
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 12, 2010 16:15 as a reply to  @ ShauningtoN's post |  #8

Nice shots mate. Too bad you weren't at the chase for the start. I was round at hell corner.

I can relate to it being a walking trek of a weekend. I went down to Forrest's Elbow for the first time on Friday. The walk back up was hard.

I left as soon as the race finished as well, but only a 3 hour drive, so not too bad.

ShauningtoN
THREAD ­ STARTER
540 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 12, 2010 18:18 |  #9

BenMac wrote in post #11084326 (external link)
Nice shots mate. Too bad you weren't at the chase for the start. I was round at hell corner.

I can relate to it being a walking trek of a weekend. I went down to Forrest's Elbow for the first time on Friday. The walk back up was hard.

I left as soon as the race finished as well, but only a 3 hour drive, so not too bad.

Thanks Ben! I was actually at the chase for the start, silly me thought it'd be a a good time to take some videos for the first time all weekend right as they were coming through the chase. In my footage, I was right in at 280mm panning on Courtneys car, and I hear 'woah', slowly zoom out and a massive ball of dust and metal flies through the frame haha.. Heres some footage from my best mate (who was standing right next to me, see if you can spot me in the video haha..)

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=5BLVNsbNGwQ (external link)

Oh, and I'd been to the mountain before (just driven around it on a cruise) but I had no idea how steep the gradient of the descent was! Walking back up from the elbow/dipper was a bloody killer!

Ahh, what I wouldn't have given for a nice short(er) drive haha... It took me about 90 mins to get out of the carpark, then to get back to Big4 where we were camped took about another 60 mins. Crazyyyyyyy haha.

ShauningtoN
THREAD ­ STARTER
540 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 12, 2010 21:05 as a reply to  @ ShauningtoN's post |  #10

LOL. Okay, I just realized I made a BIGGGGG booboo when processing these photos, Theyre all about -2/3 stops under what they should be, and I had the bloody ACR set to 'Landscape' instead of Standard, I wondered why the colours weren't very true? I'm about to re-up!

ShauningtoN
THREAD ­ STARTER
540 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 13, 2010 02:33 |  #11

updated :)

dophoto
112 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 13, 2010 02:46 |  #12

Nice shots shaun.

We must of been standing next to each other for that Fujitsu race on friday at the Esses.

I had the mk 2 N + 100-400 on a mono. Wearing a HRT shirt & long sleeve white shirt.

I'll be posting my shots soon.

Dave

ShauningtoN
THREAD ­ STARTER
540 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 13, 2010 02:52 |  #13

Thanks Dave. Hmm.. I remember seeing two 100-400's over the weekend, and did indeed see one down near the esses.... I don't remember clothes or body, but I was right up against the fence, near that dude who had the tv running off the gen, and when I turned around that's where I saw the second 100-400... I look forward to your shots! I'm sure they're great. I had the 7D + 70-200 + 1.4x handheld at the time btw, wearing a grey tshirt

dophoto
112 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 13, 2010 02:57 |  #14

hahaha i think that may of been me both times. Actually get any decent shots of Kelly whoops in quals in the arvo?

I had a giggle at that guy with the 3 TVs on friday, and then sunday when the coverage was 20-30mins behind. sucker.

Also just looking thru those shots from your site. That tog on the other side of the fence with the 350D, i actually know him. He is a journo & must of been taking a few pics. So being a journo/ media he gets a vest.

I was only there for friday, so got a group of ok photos. Just wish the Touring Car masters were on earlier. I had to bug out to head back to sydney as they were about to start.

BenMac
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 13, 2010 06:26 as a reply to  @ dophoto's post |  #15

I was also at the esses for the Friday Fujitsu race. Must've been the place to be. I started there and made my way down to the elbow over the race.

There were about 5 or 6 photographers there, so I probably saw you. I was under the tree, right behind the camera man who set up during the break beforehand.

sponsored links

4,095 views & 0 likes for this thread
V8 Supercars - SCA Bathurst 1000, 2010 - First time! C&C PLEASE!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.