Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 13 Oct 2010 (Wednesday) 08:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Building a Portfolio

MiaKai
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 13, 2010 08:40 |  #1

A question for both the professionals and the novices - how did you go about building a kick-ass portfolio? Did you recruit mostly friends and family and then network from there? Any tips? Anything I should avoid saying, doing or promising?

I'm sure this conversation has been regurgitated a trillion times. And it gets old and people get defensive about what they did to get started - just trying to gain a little insight from this business-savvy, talented Canon community.

Here is what I'm thinking- I started blogging (innovative! I know ;)) and am considering posting about some upcoming mini-sessions. 25 minutes with a handful of pics on CD. My 3 year old daughter is a type 1 diabetic so I thought of asking people to make a donation to the JDRF in exchange for letting me show off their shots to potential clients. Does this make sense?

I'm pretty OCD about this. I don't want to put crap/mediocre photos out there. I've signed up for a couple workshops/safaris and am hoping to make improvements everyday. Thanks for listening! - Marisa
http://mi-dulce.blogspot.com/ (external link)

http://mi-dulce.blogspot.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
tjames
261 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 13, 2010 08:56 |  #2

The best thing you can do to build your portfolio is practice, have a camera in your hand all of the time and take pictures of anything you can to learn how to use it in different settings. After that get someone who will let you shoot them endlessly until you are start producing the quality of images you are happy with and are portfolio worthy (spouse, significant other, dog). That is when you start asking friends and people you know to let you take pics of them. No sense in wasting their time or yours if you're not producing portfolio quality work right?

When I did it by the time I got to my friends I was already producing work better than most of them had ever seen so they were eager to show people the photos of themselves, which obviously led to business for me..

Gear List: Kodak Funsaver MAX Cameras, Epson Scanner, MS Paint & some Crayons

droberts
260 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 13, 2010 12:40 |  #3

It helps to find new models who want to build a portfolio of their own. You get a model for free and they get shots for free. A fair exchange. You can usually find some on MM who will make this deal with you.

Canon Stuff...

andrersa
48 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 13, 2010 12:59 |  #4

That's good advice. That's how most people start out. It's also worth while to offer some shoots to people at a special price. Don't do too many free shoots otherwise its very difficult to charge later when you want to start your business

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,319 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 13, 2010 15:28 as a reply to  @ andrersa's post |  #5

Portfolio of what? Different genres of photography will have very different ways of establishing a portfolio.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

AdamGasson
101 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 13, 2010 16:46 |  #6

Firstly you take pictures. Lots of them. Portfolios are all about the images and not about a blog or business cards.

Secondly concentrate your efforts. If you have a portrait portfolio don't put random pictures of a sunset or cat in there.

JPJ2007
121 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 14, 2010 01:33 |  #7

I'm also in the building a portfolio stage.
Friends/family when it comes to portraits.

Remember, 10 stunning images are better than 100 almost there images from a clients view.

Goodluck! (I need some too! lol)

Canon t3i, Sigma 10-20.

sponsored links

1,138 views & 0 likes for this thread
Building a Portfolio
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.