Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 26 Jan 2007 (Friday) 17:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Atlanta, Georgia POTN'ers

Lowbyte
324 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 12, 2010 00:32 |  #2131

I was planning to shooting Fridays practice of the Dobbins Airshow off-base from a lot on Atlanta Road next to the Chevron. Its directly across from the west end of the runway.

I last did that back on 2006, does anyone know if the Lot is still there?

sponsored links
smacatl
Goldmember
1,551 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 12, 2010 09:05 |  #2132

The Chevron is still there - it's now next to a newer mini strip mall, (which is mostly empty).

We may want to also have an alternative site on the opposite side (Cobb Parkway) in case the wind is out of the west (although I think you are closer to the end of the runway on the Atlanta Road side)

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

Lowbyte
324 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 12, 2010 09:40 |  #2133

Thanks, Is the new strip mall on the spot that used to be the open field of grass? :(

I plan on scouting thursday afternoon, we will have to see.

--marct

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 12, 2010 09:45 |  #2134

Lowbyte wrote in post #11081876 (external link)
Thanks, Is the new strip mall on the spot that used to be the open field of grass? :(

I plan on scouting thursday afternoon, we will have to see.

--marct

I can have a look - this is my commute home - but suspect it was the field you were talking about.

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

smacatl
Goldmember
1,551 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 12, 2010 10:18 |  #2135

Mini mall is on the south side of intersection of Atlanta Road and Austell Rd. I'm being generous calling it a minimall - maybe 4-5 storefronts which are mostly empty.

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

lavanut
Goldmember
2,495 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 12, 2010 18:59 as a reply to  @ smacatl's post |  #2136

On a separate note, for those of you looking for workshops & such, Joe McNally is coming to Atlanta Nov 1 with a seminar at the Cobb Galleria on "Location Lighting Techniques". You can check it out here (external link). If you've never seen Joe present, what he does with flashes, strobes, and other lights is amazing. I've seen him at Photoshop World before and plan on going to this seminar too.

Also, for those of you on the northeast side of town who might want something slower paced than the Dobbins Air show this weekend, I saw a flyer about the Harvest Balloon Festival (external link) at Sterling on the Lake. It's up at exit 12 on 985. I'm not sure if I'm heading up there or not yet, but I've always wanted to photograph hot air balloons.

I may be fascinated with volcanoes, but the name's Lisa.
My new website (external link) | ThePhotoHopper on Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Macrohopper on Instagram (nothing but macros) (external link) |
My Weather Station (external link)

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 12, 2010 20:41 |  #2137

pleb1024 wrote in post #11081898 (external link)
I can have a look - this is my commute home - but suspect it was the field you were talking about.

Ok - the lot to the south of the chevron is now the minimall. the lot to the north of the chevron, directly in line with the end of the runway is still a lot.
Google Maps (external link) is actually quite up to date at the moment for this area ...

Daniel

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

Lowbyte
324 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 13, 2010 10:02 |  #2138

Thanks for the help!

timeasterday
960 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 13, 2010 10:14 |  #2139

lavanut wrote in post #11085140 (external link)
Also, for those of you on the northeast side of town who might want something slower paced than the Dobbins Air show this weekend, I saw a flyer about the Harvest Balloon Festival (external link) at Sterling on the Lake. It's up at exit 12 on 985. I'm not sure if I'm heading up there or not yet, but I've always wanted to photograph hot air balloons.

Shoot, that looks interesting and it's close to home but I'll be at the air show. I doubt I would make it up there for the glow event. The first weekend in November there's a balloon event called Balloons over Anderson in South Carolina. It's just across the border and right off I-85, so not a bad drive from Gwinnett.

7DMKII, 5DMKII, Canon 17-40L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Canon 70-200mmL f/2.8 II, Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Zeiss ZE 50mm Makro Planar, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Kenko Pro 300 DG 1.4x TC, Canon 2X III TC, 580EX II x2, YN560, RF603's
My Smugmug (external link) | Flickr (external link)

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 13, 2010 11:58 |  #2140

timeasterday wrote in post #11088852 (external link)
Shoot, that looks interesting and it's close to home but I'll be at the air show. I doubt I would make it up there for the glow event. The first weekend in November there's a balloon event called Balloons over Anderson in South Carolina. It's just across the border and right off I-85, so not a bad drive from Gwinnett.

I think my plan is going to be - Sat at the balloon event, Sun at the airshow. By all accounts, sunday is usually a lighter crowd, and I've seen the blue angels a couple of times already, and I've always wanted to shoot a balloon gathering.

Daniel

Flickr (external link)

timeasterday
960 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 13, 2010 13:18 |  #2141

Camera bags are OK at the air show, right? There was a post in another discussion saying they were not allowed but I just can't believe a shoulder bag would not be allowed.

7DMKII, 5DMKII, Canon 17-40L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Canon 70-200mmL f/2.8 II, Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Zeiss ZE 50mm Makro Planar, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Kenko Pro 300 DG 1.4x TC, Canon 2X III TC, 580EX II x2, YN560, RF603's

Lowbyte
324 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 13, 2010 15:02 |  #2142

From the Guidelines (click here) (external link) section of the show website:

Don’t bring dogs or other animals, bicycles, roller-blades, skateboards, alcohol, drugs, drug paraphernalia, fireworks, food or beverages, weapons of any kind (to include weapons carried by off-duty law enforcement personnel), blunt objects which could be considered a weapon, larger coolers, backpacks, briefcases, large bags or packages, handheld laser pointers, RVs or campers.

Another note- if its anything like a few years ago, plan on the security arrangement as more keystone cops then military efficiency. There is a "Team" of experts at crowd control including CERT, GDF, Cobb Police and even CCT doing their best to be between you and the show. For details about 2008 click here, but you really don't have to take my word for it... Fatalberts and Glens words.

Just be prepared bring comfortable shoes, light easy to carry chairs, small camera bag, an ipod to keep you entertained while waiting, and buy a drink and a snack at shows end!

I'm still 50/50 as to if I go on Sat, it will depend on if I get good captures from the end of the runway on Friday.

Good luck to us all. :rolleyes:

timeasterday
960 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 13, 2010 15:43 as a reply to  @ Lowbyte's post |  #2143

I wish I knew what their definition of a "large bag" is. I have a Crumpler 6MDH which is not really that big.

jBear2000
348 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 13, 2010 17:06 as a reply to  @ timeasterday's post |  #2144

At the last one, i carried a full size backpack (Lowepro Photo Trekker Classic) and a Lightware 500mm case. Marc is right the security can be a hassle but my stuff went through the scanners and then were hand checked and they let me go. Most military bases are tougher than your average airshow. Once you open a photo pack and it has three bodies a 300 ƒ2.8, and a 100-400 along with the other assorted suspects and then pull the Mark IV and 500 combo out of the Lightware.. they sorta figure you're there to take pictures. I've been through a lot of checkpoints and never had the slightest problem - and not all of them were credentialed shoots either - just a shmo with a camera bag.

#1 reason for not going - the way they set up the crowd line at an angle to the ramp - you see the show OK but low passes are not real good for shooting.

#1 reason for going this year - The Canadian Snowbirds

I've done the Helen Balloon race for a couple years - if you like watching grass grow - that's the place to be!:)

A few of the 3000 images i shot last weekend at Peachtree City http://www.jonberrypho​to.com …rshow-2010/14170964_n7rCZ (external link)

I'll start shooting weddings when they start holding them on Wednesdays!
Gear List
http://www.jonberrypho​to.com (external link)
http://www.aviationpho​tographers.org/ (external link)
http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/60098​4/ (external link)

Lowbyte
324 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 13, 2010 17:26 |  #2145

In 2008 I was carrying a knock-off of the Domke F-2, I got growled at by the 1st level security GDF, and the USAF 2nd level used the full baggage scanner and let me go without a word.

For reference the F-2 (according to B&H) its 16.5 x 9.0 x 9.6" (41.9 x 22.9 x 24.3 cm) (WxDxH)

In NAS Jacksonville a few years ago a had a sheriff (on a golf cart cruising the parking lots) threaten to arrest me with my F-2 while walking to the security screening area because "I must be dangerous". He had me followed by the t-shirt security guy to the line. It was about 800 people- to clear the log jam the Marine Major in charge decided to turn-off the detectors because they were set extremely sensitive and going off constantly causing almost everyone to be wanded bringing the line to a crawl.

This got the line moving again, but as I got up they were starting to turn them back on- the LT waved me around and peeked in my bag, saw the 300L and said hurry off before they notice and bust your chops- snap a few for me.

In NAS Oceana last month I hadn't even shown my media pass before they said go-ahead after opening my large backpack holding the 300, 500, 70-200 and 2 bodies.

My point is they don't have airport style "size-wise" units, large is up to the eye of whatever person has been granted token authority over you. When I am dealing with actual military guards I just ask for the CO/OIC and have never had a problem after a through inspection. In the case of volunteers and GDF-types they are hoping to be the big man on campus by abusing you with it. Remember the most important thing to the people in charge is not actual security, but playing the out the script of security theatre to perfection.

I'm planning on just strapping on my 300 & 500 and a small messenger bag and humping it if I go in on Sat.

sponsored links

519,225 views & 28 likes for this thread
Atlanta, Georgia POTN'ers
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.