Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Oct 2010 (Wednesday) 13:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon G12 v Nikon P7000

benttop
701 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 07, 2010 19:07 as a reply to  @ post 11050248 |  #16

I've had my G12 for a few days now, and so far I'm enjoying it very much. It is a great upgrade from my G7.

Steve Cavanaugh
EOS 5D MK III, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 85 f1.2L, EF 24 f1.4L, EF 400 f5.6L, EF 24-70, EF 70-200, EF 100-400, EF 100 Macro, G12, EOS 7D, Fujifilm X100S and X-T1

sponsored links
jaghori
31 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 07, 2010 20:07 |  #17

Tommydigi wrote in post #11046766 (external link)
I am really happy with the Panasonic lx5. smaller package with a wider faster lens that zooms while shooting video. I really like the S95 too, considering the size of the G12 you would probably be better off with a four thirds camera.

I have actually read some reviews on this and I believe it's a better camera than the G12 for a number of reasons but the main one for me is the size and optical zoom when recording video.

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 07, 2010 20:13 |  #18

Canon was the first to realize the MP war is over. Nikon is still pushing those tiny sensors to 14mp and such.

I talked to a friend at work who wants a new P&S and she asked me, "which has the most megapix?"

I said, "that doesn't matter anymore. They all have more than enough."

She said, "no, I want one with the most megapixals."

Oh well.

Thank you. bw!

Atlantise
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 08, 2010 16:20 |  #19

Thank you all for the replies!

The wealth of knowledge on this forum is amazing, and the replies to my original post completely justify why I keep returning!

I went and looked at the Nikon P7000 today, and I agree that the articulating screen might be more important than I had previously considered. Zoom difference shouldn't really matter - the extra distance is out of the range that I will use 99% of the time with this camera - the 70-200 will fill that role. As well, the resolution of the Nikon really wasn't that big of a deal. Nothing will look like the Super-High-Res IPS LCD screen of the iPhone 4, so I don't see the screen resolution difference from G12 to P7000. It's not like I'll be editing with it... That's why we have Lightroom and Photoshop.

If the G12 handles anything like the G10, I know what my preference will be. The front dial to adjust aperture and the size and feel overall will certainly make it my preference.

Thanks!

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,543 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Oct 08, 2010 16:54 |  #20

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #11055082 (external link)
Canon was the first to realize the MP war is over. Nikon is still pushing those tiny sensors to 14mp and such.

I talked to a friend at work who wants a new P&S and she asked me, "which has the most megapix?"

I said, "that doesn't matter anymore. They all have more than enough."

She said, "no, I want one with the most megapixals."

Oh well.

Umm...the P7000 has almost the identical same sensor as the G12.

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

zikri
288 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 08, 2010 17:50 |  #21

how can it be cheaper?

GEAR LIST
FEEDBACK

tincanman99
78 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 09, 2010 20:52 as a reply to  @ zikri's post |  #22

I agree Canon more/less owns this segment. Nikon has not historically made good point/shoots. It doesnt mean the P7000 isnt good though. You never know.

I think the Panasonic Lumix cameras take even nicer pictures than the Canons. Heresy I know but the pics I have seen from them are impressive considering what they are.

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 10, 2010 05:44 |  #23

tincanman99 wrote in post #11065899 (external link)
I think the Panasonic Lumix cameras take even nicer pictures than the Canons. Heresy I know but the pics I have seen from them are impressive considering what they are.

Not as "Wash your mouth out you non-Canon fanboy" as you might think, honestly a lot of the Panasonic range of cameras are utterly fantastic. I actually find their LX5 to be slightly down on IQ over the G11 (G12's still pending in NZ) but in terms of what you can mess about with in camera and make funky pictures, literally leagues ahead of the Canon. Personally, I already own a G10 which sucks in low light, but if I were buying currently I'd be very tempted by an LX5 over a G12...

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)
:: insert scathing quip here! ::

mpix345
Goldmember
2,855 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 10, 2010 11:38 |  #24

manipula wrote in post #11067622 (external link)
Not as "Wash your mouth out you non-Canon fanboy" as you might think, honestly a lot of the Panasonic range of cameras are utterly fantastic. I actually find their LX5 to be slightly down on IQ over the G11 (G12's still pending in NZ) but in terms of what you can mess about with in camera and make funky pictures, literally leagues ahead of the Canon. Personally, I already own a G10 which sucks in low light, but if I were buying currently I'd be very tempted by an LX5 over a G12...

You also have to start looking at the micro 4/3s offerings I think. Olympus E-LP1 w/14-42 kit lens is around $510 right now. IQ is supposedly much closer to DSLR than to the high end P&S offerings.

LDelo
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 11, 2010 17:58 |  #25

Atlantise wrote in post #11046388 (external link)
My first post here...

Looking at getting a G12 or Nikon P7000 for a more mobile, yet high quality camera that shoots RAW - Other than my DSLRs, of course.

I usually stick with Canon products, but I wanted to see if there were any intangibles that would propel the G12 over the impressive stats/specs of the P7000.

It appears that the Nikon P7000 would give a greater optical zoom range, zooming video while focusing, and a higher resolution/slightly larger screen over the G12.

The most important of these features to me is the resolution - I would like the screen to look as good as, or comparable to, iPhone 4. This is in large part because the tiny viewfinder is not always a pleasure to look through in my experience, and I would like the screen to accurately show what I am looking at, should I choose to use it over the viewfinder. I don't know if am I asking too much out of these cameras with this.

Despite these differences, I am still torn between the two, as I do love my Canon products.

Timetable for purchase is within the next couple weeks as time allows and hopefully after I receive some good insight from the community here.

Any opinions out there?

Over the years I've been a die-hard Nikon SLR then DSLR fan and have a non-trivial investment in bodies and glass.

I have very much wanted to love Nikon PnSs, and have bought (and given away in disgust) at least two (that I remember off the top of my head.)

My experience with Nikon PnSes has been that they generate soft photos with washed out or rather pastel-ish colors. I know that I am not alone in this either, as many others in this thread and across the web have said similar...

Eight months ago and upon the advice of some pretty knowledgable prosumers and sales staff at the two upper echelon stores here in the Seattle area, I bought a G11. It was an instant love affair and constrasted with my experience with every Nikon PnS (or hydrid) I've touched there is... well... no comparison.

That was really driven home to me when I went on a backpacking trip and saw the results the G11 was able to generate in the Glacier Peak Wilderness. Most the best pictures were taken in full Auto mode, the only concessions to serious photography in most cases being a CircPol (on the LensMate setup) and/or to tripod up.

When news of the G12 and P7000 were leaked, I waited until my fave of those two stores had one of each and went and looked and contrasted the two and there was, again, well... no comparison.

The G12 feels like a tool, the P7000 felt like a toy. The P7000 was obviously designed as a pretender (homage if you prefer), yet they omitted several of the best features (the articulating screen being one.)

Do not underestimate the value of being able to "hide" that screen. On said 5 day backpacking trip and despite my being careful, there were several occasions where, were my G11 a P7000, the screen would've been gouged/dinged/dented/b​roken. Yet, because the screen hides away safely on the G11, nothing happened.

Meanwhile, the folks at the aforementioned shop quietly agreed with me (away from the rest of the clientelle) that in its' price point the G11/12 pretty much owned the PnS/hybrid market and that they considered the P7000 a johnny-come-lately copycat attempt that does not take as good of pictures across a broad range of conditions.

I know nothing of the others (Lumix's, etc) though I've heard good things about *some* Lumix's and of course some of the more expensive cameras in this form factor.

Anyways, that's my $0.02, take it FWIW. As others have said and in my mind, Nikon gave up the PnS/hybrid space long ago (if they ever had it) based on any real merits and have been trading on their name and brand loyalty since.

AngryCorgi
11,543 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Oct 13, 2010 12:36 |  #26

spear wrote in post #11050173 (external link)
I don't know about Nikon not being able to come up with a nice P&S camera ... I think that is rather harsh. I grew up with the Coolpix series and I only recently gave away my trusty Coolpix 5700.

My first P&S was a 995, so I know what you mean. To say Nikon has never made a good P&S is a ridiculous statement...and more indicative of the lack of first-hand experience and knowledge by those claiming to have mastery of the subject.

That said, the P7K is not fairing well in reviews...the RAW-write issue has been cited as a 4-5 second wait per image :shock:, making it difficult to treat the RAW feature as a tool that is useful in normal situations. One review cited a few missed focus shots too, but that complaint has not been as consistent. So far the G12/G11 is probably the safe bet. The P7K images look on par with those from the G11, but the slow processing of the camera is causing much frustration.

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

Riveredger
663 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 13, 2010 12:41 |  #27

mpix345 wrote in post #11068673 (external link)
You also have to start looking at the micro 4/3s offerings I think. Olympus E-LP1 w/14-42 kit lens is around $510 right now. IQ is supposedly much closer to DSLR than to the high end P&S offerings.

It really depends on your needs. To get a micro 4/3 set up with a fast lens is NOT cheap. To get a zoom AND a fast lens is even more expensive.

Flickr Photostream (external link)

AngryCorgi
11,543 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 13, 2010 12:46 |  #28

Riveredger wrote in post #11089618 (external link)
It really depends on your needs. To get a micro 4/3 set up with a fast lens is NOT cheap. To get a zoom AND a fast lens is even more expensive.

Yeah, but I think portability is the biggest issue in the comparison there. M43 cams will have about the same IQ at ISO1600 than the G11-class P&S class is going to have as ISO500-640, so having a slightly faster lens is offset by the vast difference in high-ISO IQ.

The plus for a G11 is pocketability (barely) while the M43 cams really don't fit in anything but a clown-suit pocket.

bkdc
888 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 13, 2010 14:38 as a reply to  @ AngryCorgi's post |  #29

What's the benefit of a Micro 4/3? You can't pocket it. There's no DOF control. At that size, I'd just get a Rebel. The G12 is a world-class camera for what it is. I'd be willing to pay more money for a similar camera with larger sensor and larger built-in lens, but my guess is that the optics on the lens would not do justice to the increased sensor size at a marketable pricepoint.

RF 24-70 f/4L IS | RF 50L | EF 35L II | EF 40 f/2.8 pancake | EF 85 f/1.4L IS | EF 100L IS Macro | 600EX-RT x 3

arg245
827 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 13, 2010 14:49 |  #30

LDelo wrote in post #11077503 (external link)
Over the years I've been a die-hard Nikon SLR then DSLR fan and have a non-trivial investment in bodies and glass.

I have very much wanted to love Nikon PnSs, and have bought (and given away in disgust) at least two (that I remember off the top of my head.)

My experience with Nikon PnSes has been that they generate soft photos with washed out or rather pastel-ish colors. I know that I am not alone in this either, as many others in this thread and across the web have said similar...

Eight months ago and upon the advice of some pretty knowledgable prosumers and sales staff at the two upper echelon stores here in the Seattle area, I bought a G11. It was an instant love affair and constrasted with my experience with every Nikon PnS (or hydrid) I've touched there is... well... no comparison.

That was really driven home to me when I went on a backpacking trip and saw the results the G11 was able to generate in the Glacier Peak Wilderness. Most the best pictures were taken in full Auto mode, the only concessions to serious photography in most cases being a CircPol (on the LensMate setup) and/or to tripod up.

When news of the G12 and P7000 were leaked, I waited until my fave of those two stores had one of each and went and looked and contrasted the two and there was, again, well... no comparison.

The G12 feels like a tool, the P7000 felt like a toy. The P7000 was obviously designed as a pretender (homage if you prefer), yet they omitted several of the best features (the articulating screen being one.)

Do not underestimate the value of being able to "hide" that screen. On said 5 day backpacking trip and despite my being careful, there were several occasions where, were my G11 a P7000, the screen would've been gouged/dinged/dented/b​roken. Yet, because the screen hides away safely on the G11, nothing happened.

Meanwhile, the folks at the aforementioned shop quietly agreed with me (away from the rest of the clientelle) that in its' price point the G11/12 pretty much owned the PnS/hybrid market and that they considered the P7000 a johnny-come-lately copycat attempt that does not take as good of pictures across a broad range of conditions.

I know nothing of the others (Lumix's, etc) though I've heard good things about *some* Lumix's and of course some of the more expensive cameras in this form factor.

Anyways, that's my $0.02, take it FWIW. As others have said and in my mind, Nikon gave up the PnS/hybrid space long ago (if they ever had it) based on any real merits and have been trading on their name and brand loyalty since.

Welcome to the forum.

Well, for a first post, you've posted some really good points. I know I'll take some slack for this comment, but....... it's refreshing to see a Nikon user honestly critique, and compare, a Nikon P&S vs. the Canon offerings. Canon has always been a leader here, and I don't expect the P7000 to make great inroads in this segment against Canon. Still, I anxiously await the forthcoming P7000 review from imaging-resources.

---------------
Andy Garcia
Google+ (external link) | Zenfolio (external link)

sponsored links

16,352 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon G12 v Nikon P7000
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.