Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 09 Apr 2010 (Friday) 11:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My homemade Vagabond setup. Check this out.

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 05, 2010 16:12 |  #181

^ BX units are different then the bxri units, possibly an interior modification that has been corrected with newer models. I had older elinchrom el 500's and tried it with the smart ups. If i connected 3 el500's, the ups would overload and trip the reset switch in the back.

d-lite 4's however did not trip the reset switch.

My chart results are pretty accurate with the amount of pops you'd expect to get out of a flash. plan accordingly. hard numbers give better facts then general flash amounts. i'll be doing that test with the minivag when i get mine.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

sponsored links
Agamemnon
308 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 05, 2010 16:16 |  #182

c2thew wrote in post #11040190 (external link)
i'll be doing that test with the minivag when i get mine.

I sure hope that's a battery of some sort that you're talking about :p

Ryan
Gear: My Gear

ffkk
73 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 15, 2010 00:18 |  #183

I have the 700XL version and left it unplugged for about a week and tried it. It was only down one bar and I took around 30 full power flashes @ 750 and it didn't drop in power at all. I did make sure that I turned it off by pushing the black button in the back.

jaycky
Goldmember
2,089 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 15, 2010 01:57 |  #184

http://www.youtube.com …M&feature=playe​r_embedded (external link)!

this is not the same thing right?

5DM2 /grip Lots Of L's
measurbating f-stops
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/52633882@N07/ (external link)
http://about.me/jbmpho​tos (external link)
http://photobyfish.tum​blr.com/archive (external link)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 15, 2010 10:29 |  #185

ffkk wrote in post #11100096 (external link)
I have the 700XL version and left it unplugged for about a week and tried it. It was only down one bar and I took around 30 full power flashes @ 750 and it didn't drop in power at all. I did make sure that I turned it off by pushing the black button in the back.

mine went from Las vegas to LA and it went down to only two bars

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

ElmarDam
63 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 22, 2010 17:30 |  #186

MAN! i love this thread!i ordered myself a smart ups 750 for a few euros. i am really curious how it will perform on the multiblitz! thanx!

My website: www.elmardam.nl (external link) ,

ElmarDam
63 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 25, 2010 15:32 |  #187

Question, does a smart-ups 700 power up when they are not connected to a wall outlet? from what i heard those things need AC to power up? thanks!

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 25, 2010 15:48 |  #188

They are finicky. I just unplug it and go. The battery lasts for a while for me.

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

Agamemnon
308 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 25, 2010 15:48 |  #189

ElmarDam wrote in post #11162719 (external link)
Question, does a smart-ups 700 power up when they are not connected to a wall outlet? from what i heard those things need AC to power up? thanks!

No, they don't. They need wall power before they're willing to power on (Unless you're lucky). You've got to have it plugged in just before you want to use it, then unplug it, and bring it to the gig.

It's annoying, but hey, for a budget power pack, there's some things that you'll have to deal with!

Ryan
Gear: My Gear

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 25, 2010 16:46 |  #190

They do need to be plugged in. They are designed to give time to shut down properly, Not as a stand alone power scorce. So it is designed to not power up just to have a computer kill the battery and then run out of power before it can be shut down again, obliterating the whole point of the UPS to begin with.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

les_au
739 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 25, 2010 20:50 |  #191

hmm great idea, a cheap UPS is probably enough to power a couple low wattage strobes

gear list

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 27, 2010 02:12 |  #192

just press and hold the on button for a good minute or two and repress again if it doesn't turn on. again, the smart ups wasn't meant to be shut on and off as an independent source and it behaves accordingly.

still a good value for the buck. you could always plug it back to your computer at the end of the day and use it for it's intended purpose =]

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

ElmarDam
63 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 29, 2010 12:51 |  #193

i received mine today.. When i shut the ups down/ power it down and unplug it from the wall.. i hold the 'I/test' button for a few seconds. It starts to beep and starts up within 30 secs! i even tried it after disconnected for an hour. It still starts.. so i guess i have an independent power source after all?

When you leave it on and running (while unplugged) you hear the converter running. And my guess is that it will run low on power quite rapid?

i had my aurora 600watt and 1 400watt multiblitz units on it. It will last for +-60 half power shots. i never use them full power.. (crank up the iso!) so, perfect solution for me ;)
On full power they overload the ups.

ffkk
73 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 02, 2010 00:53 |  #194

Check the back. When you turn the UPS off, there should be a green light on, its the sensitivity light. Click that black button till the sensitivity green light is off. This actually powers the UPS off and not in that standby mode that drains the battery.

NormanRC51
451 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 10, 2011 10:41 |  #195

So we have a few APC Back UPS 650 at my work and the spec sheet they say they are "Stepped approximation to a sinewave".

What the heck does that mean? Will they work?

Canon 7D - Gripped 40D - Canon 50 1.8 MK1 - Tamron 18-270 - Tamron 1.4x TC - Sigma 18-50 2.8 - Sigma 70-200 2.8 - Pair of AlienBee B1600s - 580EX - 3-540ez - RF-602
My FlickR (external link)

sponsored links

52,968 views & 0 likes for this thread
My homemade Vagabond setup. Check this out.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.