Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 14 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 05:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DIY umbrella and softbox

marsaz
203 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 14, 2010 05:48 |  #1

<This has been already posted on Critique Corner but guys in there suggested posting it here for feedback. Hope this is ok with the mods>

Hello,
I've been building this for some time now. Since I'm saving for some -real- studio lighting I decided to experiment with cheap materials and items you can usually get at the hardware shop. Just to understand light before I get into more serious stuff. What do you think of these portraits? I also add pictures of my setup :)

Any feedback appreciated.

1. Self-portrait with a shoot through umbrella as a main light and a little softbox on the left as an accent light. 1/125s ISO200 F3.5 28mm

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

2. Again a self-portrait with a shoot through umbrella only. 1/125s ISO200 F3.5 28mm
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

3. 6 x 100w used with a shoot through umbrella.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

4. Ugh, quite bright
IMAGE NOT FOUND

5. Inside the softbox 4 x 100w
IMAGE NOT FOUND

6. Setup used for the picture number 1. The umbrella is fully adjustable. You can change angle at both axis and height.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

flickr (external link)
6D and glass

sponsored links
watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 14, 2010 09:35 |  #2

that's quite a DIY lighting set-up, not too portable but definitely sturdy looing !

marsaz
THREAD ­ STARTER
203 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 14, 2010 09:47 |  #3

watt100 wrote in post #11095396 (external link)
that's quite a DIY lighting set-up, not too portable but definitely sturdy looing !

Thanks! It's quite light due to the nature of pvc pipes :) I can lift the whole thing in one hand no problem. But true - it is only usable inside and not really flexible at times since the 'stand' is quite big.

flickr (external link)
6D and glass

spacetime
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 14, 2010 10:26 |  #4

That's an interesting DIY set-up. You could buy a dimmer switch and wire it in and then be able to control the output.

marsaz
THREAD ­ STARTER
203 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 14, 2010 12:30 |  #5

emitecaps wrote in post #11095663 (external link)
That's an interesting DIY set-up. You could buy a dimmer switch and wire it in and then be able to control the output.

Great idea! Had a simple switch laying around somewhere and wired it in. Now I have two settings 1/1 and 1/2

1. The switch

IMAGE NOT FOUND

2. I messed up a bit when choosing which lights should be on with 1/2 power setting. Oh well.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

3. Visual difference between 1/1 and 1/2 power settings
IMAGE NOT FOUND

flickr (external link)
6D and glass

SwiftFootTim
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 14, 2010 15:16 |  #6

Hey man, I give you credit for thinking through the situation. My only comment would be that you may want more light to get above 1/125th although I doubt you'll get much motion blur at 1/125. Looking forward to any other crazy ideas you come up with!

Canon 1D MkIII, 580 EX II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Sigma 300 f/2.8 EX DG HSM, Lowepro Flipside 400 AW

marsaz
THREAD ­ STARTER
203 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 14, 2010 17:57 |  #7

SwiftFootTim wrote in post #11097343 (external link)
Hey man, I give you credit for thinking through the situation. My only comment would be that you may want more light to get above 1/125th although I doubt you'll get much motion blur at 1/125. Looking forward to any other crazy ideas you come up with!

Hey! Thanks for the encouragement :)
Adding more light (more power) might become problematic since those lamps are crazy hot already and they are blindingly bright. That's not good enough for freezing motion but you certainly don't want to be in front of them for half an hour or so. Anyway this is good enough to understand the way light falls on subjects from certain angles, how light diffusing works, etc.

I tried one more thing: mounted a couple of bare 150W lamps on the only cheap tripod I have

1. This is how it looked

IMAGE NOT FOUND

2. And what I've managed to come up with :D
ISO200 1/200s F3.5 28mm, camera hand held
IMAGE NOT FOUND

flickr (external link)
6D and glass

Melikeyummyfood
303 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 14, 2010 23:22 |  #8

what light bulbs are you using?

Canon 5D Mark II | Zuikos 50 1.4 | Rokinon 14mm 2.8 | Rokinon 35mm 1.4 | Rokinon 85mm 1.4 |

marsaz
THREAD ­ STARTER
203 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 15, 2010 01:35 |  #9

Melikeyummyfood wrote in post #11099827 (external link)
what light bulbs are you using?

Incandescent bulbs with reflectors made by Tungsram or Osram but I'm quite sure most manufacturers make them :)

IMAGE: http://lighting-store.com.au/lightshop/images/r50_incandescent_reflector_lamps.jpg

flickr (external link)
6D and glass

dabombdatgoboom
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 15, 2010 01:43 |  #10

how much did the entire setup cost?

EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM

jaycky
Goldmember
2,089 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 15, 2010 01:56 |  #11

marsaz wrote in post #11098156 (external link)
Hey! Thanks for the encouragement :)
Adding more light (more power) might become problematic since those lamps are crazy hot already and they are blindingly bright. That's not good enough for freezing motion but you certainly don't want to be in front of them for half an hour or so. Anyway this is good enough to understand the way light falls on subjects from certain angles, how light diffusing works, etc.

I tried one more thing: mounted a couple of bare 150W lamps on the only cheap tripod I have

1. This is how it looked
IMAGE NOT FOUND

2. And what I've managed to come up with :D
ISO200 1/200s F3.5 28mm, camera hand held
IMAGE NOT FOUND

not bad

5DM2 /grip Lots Of L's
measurbating f-stops
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/52633882@N07/ (external link)
http://about.me/jbmpho​tos (external link)
http://photobyfish.tum​blr.com/archive (external link)

marsaz
THREAD ­ STARTER
203 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 15, 2010 02:21 |  #12

jaycky wrote:
not bad

Thanks!

dabombdatgoboom wrote in post #11100421 (external link)
how much did the entire setup cost?

That's a good question. I've been playing around with this stuff for some time now.

Things you see in the last picture:
8 incandescent light bulbs - 10$
an umbrella - 10$
wiring 3$
pvc pipes - 10$ (I've bought a lot more than I'm actually using right now and spent more than 10 bucks while 'inventing' this setup)

I also used things like a drill, some bolts, duct tape.

Actually, one could get a Yn460 for the money. More or less. Although I admit cheap strobist setup might be more reasonable choise (a bit more expensive too) with much more capabilities but there is a fun and educational part in building your own stuff from scratch.

flickr (external link)
6D and glass

SwiftFootTim
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 15, 2010 07:43 |  #13

Hey, if you designed it to look "crazy" or "industrial" enough you could even make the lights part of your photos in the future if you had some way to work them in creatively!

Canon 1D MkIII, 580 EX II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Sigma 300 f/2.8 EX DG HSM, Lowepro Flipside 400 AW

sponsored links

2,874 views & 0 likes for this thread
DIY umbrella and softbox
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.