Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Voigtlander 125mm f/2.5 Macro or Zeiss 100mm f/2 Macro?

sangjiny
760 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 14, 2010 14:10 |  #1

I'm trying to decide between these two lenses. It looks like prices are similar on both.

I've used Zeiss 50MP and was told 100MP is very similar in IQ... so I know what to expect from the 100MP... and I've seen sample archive as well.

How does Voigtlander 125mm f/2.5 compare to the Zeiss 100MP in terms of IQ, color, bokeh, and CA?

It looks like Voigtlander goes 1:1 but Zeiss goes only to 1:2. MFD on Voigtlander is 38cm compared to 44cm on the 100MP.

Based on the fact that I would like a macro lens which can double as a portrait lens, am I better off with the Voigtlander or the Zeiss?

I'm leaning towards the Voigtlander but wanted to get some advice.

thanks.

Leica M9
Pentax 645D
Rolleiflex 2.8FX
Mamiya 7
Zeiss ZI Ikon

sponsored links
sangjiny
THREAD ­ STARTER
760 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 15, 2010 03:37 |  #2

Anyone??

I guess not many had the opportunity to use these lenses...

Leica M9
Pentax 645D
Rolleiflex 2.8FX
Mamiya 7
Zeiss ZI Ikon

RaZe42
518 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 15, 2010 08:49 |  #3

Both are *very* good. In my opinion the most important question is if you need 1:1 magnification. Also, AFAIK the 100 MP has some issues with LoCA, while the Voigtlander is an apochromatic design.

A better place to ask this question might be the fredmiranda.com alt forum, I'm guessing there's more people who have hands-on expreience with these lenses there.

Gear: Canon 5D Mk II | Olympus 21/3.5 | Zeiss Distagon 35/2 | Sigma 50/1.4 ASPH | Samyang 85/1.4 ASPH | Canon 100/2.8 L Macro
My modest Flickr (external link)

BlueTsunami
Goldmember
1,021 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 15, 2010 11:29 |  #4

I haven't used either but if I could get it at a reasonable price, I would get the Voigtlander. Its too bad its sitting on EBay at around the same price as the Zeiss. To wet your whistle here's a Flickr group devoted towards the Voigtlander...

http://www.flickr.com/​groups/421411@N20/pool​/page1/ (external link)

Flickr (external link)

barmaley
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 15, 2010 11:34 |  #5

I'll go for Voigtlander. From the pictures I've seen, it is THE BEST short telephoto lens ever made. It has wonderful rendering and is the only apochromatic lens for EF mount. Its a pity Cosina discontinued it. But if you can find one you will not regret.

You are welcome to have a look at my gallery (external link)

czar2000
66 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 15, 2010 11:59 |  #6

I have CV125 but not Zeiss so I can't compare those two in terms of blah blah....
However I can say you would not be disappointed with CV125 especially if you're looking for 1:1 macro and top notch bokeh with No CA.

Recently I sold all my camera gear ie, 5D, lenses, accessories, etc,....
The only thing I didn't sell is the CV125.

Gear list

Combatmedic870
Goldmember
1,739 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 15, 2010 12:09 |  #7

Get the voightlander man!!!

Nikon D700: 16-35 F4, 50 1.4G, 85 1.8,105 VR Micro, 135F2 DC, 80-200 2.8 AFS
Olympus XZ-1
,Ryan
Sometimes, I think Photography is worse than Crack.:oops:

rjx
Goldmember
2,670 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 15, 2010 12:22 as a reply to  @ barmaley's post |  #8

Here are a few Voigtlander 125mm f/2.5 Macro vs Zeiss 100mm f/2 makro comparisons (Nikon / Pentax).

http://thepictorial.co​m …lash-of-the-titan-macros/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com …g/sets/72157606​786261987/ (external link)

If you have more of a need for 1:1, then I would for sure get the Voigtlander. Other than that I would try to compare the unique characteristics of each lens and let that be the deciding factor. Like color rendering, etc.

"It doesn't matter what camera you have if your photography has nothing worthwhile to say"
“Photos are everywhere. You just have to know how to look.”

JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember
2,440 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 15, 2010 12:28 |  #9

I can only speak for the Zeiss 100 by looking in the lens archive and I'm really impressed what that piece of glass can do in the right hands. The bokeh that it produces is like a painting. It's AMAZING!

-Jelle l Gear l Website (external link) l

denoir
Goldmember
1,152 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 15, 2010 12:44 |  #10

Both are excellent - which one to get depends on your priorities. The Voigtländer is better corrected for LoCA wide open and has a closer focusing distance. The Zeiss 100 MP has a higher micro contrast, stronger color rendering and overall a typically Zeiss drawing style.

125/2.5 vs 100/2 also makes a difference. You get greater magnification for macros with 125mm but you get better low light performance with f/2 and 125mm requires slightly higher shutter speeds to get a good shot handheld.

Luka C.D| My photos (external link) | My videos (external link) | My Cameras & Lenses

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 15, 2010 12:46 |  #11

Does he voigtlander have auto (electromachnetic) aperture on native EF mount? To me that would be a big plus since I change apertures a LOT while shooting macro.
I've been wanting this lens for a long time and recently saw one in a different mount with ef adapter, but decided against it because auto aperture would be a must for me. From what I've seen, IQ and bokeh are amazing, as well as the ability to get to 1:1.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

rjx
Goldmember
2,670 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 15, 2010 12:51 |  #12

Here are a few Voigtlander 125mm galleries since the Zeiss images are easier to come by.

Voigtlander 125mm (external link)
Voigtlander 125mm (5D) (external link)
Voigtlander 125mm (Pentax) (external link)

"It doesn't matter what camera you have if your photography has nothing worthwhile to say"
“Photos are everywhere. You just have to know how to look.”

czar2000
66 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 15, 2010 12:54 |  #13

TweakMDS wrote in post #11102994 (external link)
Does he voigtlander have auto (electromachnetic) aperture on native EF mount? To me that would be a big plus since I change apertures a LOT while shooting macro.

Yep. I have EF mount and can control apertures with wheels.

Gear list

LamontSanders
894 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 15, 2010 14:33 |  #14

Had a chance to own the voigtlander...and I probably should have nabbed it. It is probably the best of the best macro lenses that go 1:1. The Zeiss 100mm is incredible as well but it does lack 1:1. You can't go wrong, but get the voigtlander.

5DS R | 1Ds Mark III | Canon 16-35mm F/4L IS | Canon 24-70mm F/4L IS | Canon 70-200mm F/4L | Canon 50mm F/1.8 STM | Sigma 24-35mm F/2.0 Art | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 |
flickr (external link) | Old flickr (external link)

BlueTsunami
Goldmember
1,021 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 15, 2010 14:41 |  #15

I think these two shots, even at websize (remember to view them larger), show how great this lens can be. A mixture of pure sharpness, great color rendition, lovely Depth of Field falloff and bokeh rendition...

http://www.flickr.com …27895/in/pool-825863@N22/ (external link)

http://www.flickr.com …27677/in/pool-825863@N22/ (external link)

The great thing about the lens too, from what I've seen, is since it handles contrast a little more delicately than the Zeiss it'll probably work very well as a portrait lens.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

8,590 views & 0 likes for this thread
Voigtlander 125mm f/2.5 Macro or Zeiss 100mm f/2 Macro?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.