Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Oct 2010 (Friday) 19:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Home Studio Set-Up

wizard13
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 15, 2010 19:58 |  #1

I am hoping to tap into the vast knowledge of everyone that frequents these boards. I am looking to set-up a home studio. If you are curious about my current equipment it is in my signature.
I have read what ever I can find on here and have seen tons about Alien Bees, Excalibur and Elinchrom. I am trying to figure out the comparisons since a lot of the posts are three and four years old. Just trying to see if there is anything newer.
I am looking for a two light system, probably strobe and not constant light. Need two stands (10') and the umbrellas, softbox or whatever the recommendations see to be. And looking into wireless triggers, pocket wizards or radio poppers.
And before anyone asks, the budget is $500-$1000. (or a little more if you have a really convincing suggestion;))
So if anyone has any suggestions or has just set up a studio I would love to hear your ideas or suggestions!!!
Thanks in advance!

Photography = a constant learning process
Website (external link) || Facebook (external link) || Gear/Feedback

sponsored links
sdipirro
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 15, 2010 20:09 |  #2

I'm surprised you didn't find anything newer. This question seems to get asked just about every day! You'll find people who love the AB's and those that stand behind Elinchrom. Umbrellas give you broad lighting coverage and are good for certain types of lighting, and softboxes give you more control. Pocket Wizards are great but expensive. For your budget, you can get a 2-light Elinchrom or AB kit. Umbrellas are inexpensive modifiers. Softboxes can be inexpensive or cost more than your total budget. There really is a lot of information in here to answer a lot of your questions. You just may have to look a little harder.

Cameras: 1DX, 1D4, 20D, 10D, S90, G2
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 1.4x TC, 2x TC, 500D macro, Zeiss 21mm
Lighting: 580EX, Elinchrom 600 RX's, D-Lite 4's, ABR800, 74" Eli Octa, 100cm/70cm DOs, Photoflex Medium Octa and reflectors, PW's, Lastolite Hilite, Newton Di400CR bracket

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 15, 2010 20:39 |  #3

sdipirro wrote in post #11105485 (external link)
I'm surprised you didn't find anything newer. This question seems to get asked just about every day! You'll find people who love the AB's and those that stand behind Elinchrom. Umbrellas give you broad lighting coverage and are good for certain types of lighting, and softboxes give you more control. Pocket Wizards are great but expensive. For your budget, you can get a 2-light Elinchrom or AB kit. Umbrellas are inexpensive modifiers. Softboxes can be inexpensive or cost more than your total budget. There really is a lot of information in here to answer a lot of your questions. You just may have to look a little harder.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the stickies and that all seems to be older. I did find some newer threads but it seemed the two that were the newest the budgets were like $300 and I think $400-$500.
Any pros or cons you have seen / heard about between the two? And is there a problem with excalibur lights?

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 15, 2010 22:28 |  #4

sdipirro wrote in post #11105485 (external link)

Yeah there is at least 2-3 threads where the two sides clash :lol:

I am another elinchrom user. I have the 500/500 BXRi to go set. I was having a long look at the 400/400 Dlite to go set. It is a great set.
http://www.adorama.com …aign=Other&utm_​term=Other (external link)
$849

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 16, 2010 12:11 |  #5

sigma pi wrote in post #11106120 (external link)
Yeah there is at least 2-3 threads where the two sides clash :lol:

I am another elinchrom user. I have the 500/500 BXRi to go set. I was having a long look at the 400/400 Dlite to go set. It is a great set.
http://www.adorama.com …aign=Other&utm_​term=Other (external link)
$849

Thanks for the info. Any reason why you went elinchrom instead of the bee's or the excalibur sets??

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 16, 2010 13:58 |  #6

wizard13 wrote in post #11108369 (external link)
Thanks for the info. Any reason why you went elinchrom instead of the bee's or the excalibur sets??

I honestly didnt look at excalibur. The third option for me was calumet genesis.

I went with elinchrom because this was my first strobe set. I did too much research ~ a month :lol: I went back and fourth. I went with the Eli because of
1. the consistancy pop to pop. I dont want to think I am doing something wrong and have to adjust camera or strobe only to have the exposure move on me. The color cast thing also deterred me from bees
2. Digital adjustment is better than the slider. its more accurate.
3. you can turn the modeling light on and off and adjust the power with the eli trigger that is on the hot shoe, for the BXRi kit. (I dont know if you can do that with the Dlite set after you get the different trigger, I didnt look into it.)

and this is how all the fights start :lol:

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 16, 2010 15:15 |  #7

sigma pi wrote in post #11108744 (external link)
I honestly didnt look at excalibur. The third option for me was calumet genesis.

I went with elinchrom because this was my first strobe set. I did too much research ~ a month :lol: I went back and fourth. I went with the Eli because of
1. the consistancy pop to pop. I dont want to think I am doing something wrong and have to adjust camera or strobe only to have the exposure move on me. The color cast thing also deterred me from bees
2. Digital adjustment is better than the slider. its more accurate.
3. you can turn the modeling light on and off and adjust the power with the eli trigger that is on the hot shoe, for the BXRi kit. (I dont know if you can do that with the Dlite set after you get the different trigger, I didnt look into it.)

and this is how all the fights start :lol:

Is this the set you ended up going with?
http://www.adorama.com​/EL20751KITK.html (external link)

Is there a particular reason why the 500 over the 400?? Or just wanted to better components that come with the 500 kit?
Thanks for all the info!!

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 16, 2010 15:26 |  #8

wizard13 wrote in post #11109010 (external link)
Is this the set you ended up going with?
http://www.adorama.com​/EL20751KITK.html (external link)

Is there a particular reason why the 500 over the 400?? Or just wanted to better components that come with the 500 kit?
Thanks for all the info!!

To be honest I thought I would need 500ws. I don't :lol: but as they say you can turn them down but you cant turn it up past what it has.
I have already replaced the Manfrotto stands that came with teh kit. The soft boxes are good but small so they are head and shoulders portrait size. I got a HUGE soft box on ebay for like 70$ and that done OK. The trigger is good.

Going back I am glad I got eli, but probably would buy the Dlite kit. I havent really used the adjusting thing. I only use turn the modeling lamp on and off.

sponsored links

2,130 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Home Studio Set-Up
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.