Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Oct 2010 (Monday) 04:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

500D on a sunny day

neardark
161 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 18, 2010 04:36 |  #1

Me and My partner and her family went out for the day to sandringham and took my 500D with the Kit lens and we took our little cheap point and shoot, The 500D was used in Creative Auto mode, and when we got home and started looking at the photos we realised that the images that came from the smaller camera looker better the 500D they showed more of the blue sky and colour were more vivid and just looked better alround, the 500D ones had the sky pretty much over exposed and the colours were dull and alot of the photos just look slightly blurry, it should not be right that photos taken with a £100 point shoot should be better than they are from a £500 DSLR, most of the photos on the DSLR had over exposed on everyones face also.

What am I doing wrong??, I know a polarizer filter will help with the sky but still, I should not need to buy of these to beat the image quality of my cheap camera.

I have ordered a copy of Brian Petersons Understanding Exposure but it's obviously not just that as my small camera coped fine on Auto.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 18, 2010 04:47 |  #2

Creative Automatic -> you didn't have images set to "brighter"

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

neardark
THREAD ­ STARTER
161 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 18, 2010 05:16 as a reply to  @ DetlevCM's post |  #3

I had the creative auto on its default settings, exposure was bang in the middle, I mean I get the fact that had I changed abit more I could have got better results, but I would expect the default setting to beat the default setting on my P+S.

Flickr (external link)

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 18, 2010 05:22 |  #4

neardark wrote in post #11117675 (external link)
I had the creative auto on its default settings, exposure was bang in the middle.

Were you metering on any dark areas?

I know when I started I used my 400D on full automatic at first - and as far as I can tell it was spot on (I moved to full manual since).

neardark
THREAD ­ STARTER
161 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 18, 2010 05:28 |  #5

Metering was on Evaluative and I was pretty much just taking the shot assuming the the metering was being done for me, and yeah I guess compared to the sky, ground level would be the darker areas.

Flickr (external link)

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 18, 2010 05:37 |  #6

neardark wrote in post #11117701 (external link)
Metering was on Evaluative and I was pretty much just taking the shot assuming the the metering was being done for me, and yeah I guess compared to the sky, ground level would be the darker areas.

Hmm... should work properly then...

Examples?

Mark2Mark
136 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 18, 2010 05:39 |  #7

Does the 500 have picture or scene modes? A few years ago when I was a complete beginner I was initially disappointed with the vibrancy of the images compare to my P&S, then I discovered the scene settings. There you can set saturation, contrast, sharpness etc. Try it.

Gear

neardark
THREAD ­ STARTER
161 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 18, 2010 05:40 |  #8

DetlevCM wrote in post #11117724 (external link)
Hmm... should work properly then...

Examples?

Will have a look later and upload some examples, need to go get ready for lunch.

@Mark

it has Picture styles that you can set and upload them to the camera, I just dont want to think that the default can be so poor compared to my small one.

"There you can set saturation, contrast, sharpness etc" Yeah I can set these also, I just dont know what the best setting is.

Flickr (external link)

Mayniyak
256 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 18, 2010 05:52 |  #9

I'd like to see examples too, before saying anything for sure. But generally speaking, P&S cameras normally apply lots of processing in the camera itself to make the pictures look "better", while DSLRs tend to apply only minimal amounts (at least by default) because the people using them usually want as much manual control as possible.

And there isn't really a "best" setting for saturation, contrast, etc. The best setting is simply the setting you like most, and even then it likely won't be the same for every single place you're shooting. So all you can really do is go and test them out.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 18, 2010 06:31 |  #10

If shooting in automatic and saving as jpegs, then remember the in-camera settings can all be adjusted. Sharpness, saturation, mode, etc, etc. It sounds like your little point and shoot has some non adjustable factory set defaults in place, with the dSLR you have to tweak these if thats what you want. The manual will explain how to do this.

Personally I'd avoid that like the plague, shoot in RAW and tweak the images later while processing. The shots should then look far better than the point and shoot images.

I

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Sdiver2489
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 18, 2010 06:45 as a reply to  @ Lowner's post |  #11

In the ones where the P&S got a good blue sky...is the ground(and usually subject) too dark? There is a balance to the two of these, typically its either the ground correctly exposed or the sky, not both.

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

Mundty
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 18, 2010 07:24 |  #12

neardark wrote in post #11117597 (external link)
Me and My partner and her family went out for the day to sandringham and took my 500D with the Kit lens and we took our little cheap point and shoot, The 500D was used in Creative Auto mode, and when we got home and started looking at the photos we realised that the images that came from the smaller camera looker better the 500D they showed more of the blue sky and colour were more vivid and just looked better alround, the 500D ones had the sky pretty much over exposed and the colours were dull and alot of the photos just look slightly blurry, it should not be right that photos taken with a £100 point shoot should be better than they are from a £500 DSLR, most of the photos on the DSLR had over exposed on everyones face also.

What am I doing wrong??, I know a polarizer filter will help with the sky but still, I should not need to buy of these to beat the image quality of my cheap camera.

I have ordered a copy of Brian Petersons Understanding Exposure but it's obviously not just that as my small camera coped fine on Auto.

What picture mode were you on? Landscape mode will give you the most Vivid Contrasty colors. Also it depends on where you were metering, as suggested above. Generally P&S tend to do everything for you, where a DSLR is going to make you work a little... this is especially true using any Creative Mode or Manual Mode. Also what brand was your P&S, was it on any specific mode that exaggerates colors/saturation? My friend has a P&S that has many modes that will give a certain Color Hue to every picture, or exaggerate the Color Saturation. Generally DSLR's don't have these modes, because photographers do this in PP in something like Lightroom or Aperture... there's more control there and you still have the original negative instead of an enhanced image straight from the camera.

www.mikemundt.com (external link)
EOS 5D Mark II | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Speedlite 430EX II | Manfrotto MT293A4 & 494 Tripod
Interests: Environmental Portraits | Urban/Travel | Wildlife | Landscape | Celestial | Experimental

neardark
THREAD ­ STARTER
161 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 18, 2010 08:11 |  #13

realmike15 wrote in post #11117963 (external link)
What picture mode were you on? Landscape mode will give you the most Vivid Contrasty colors. Also it depends on where you were metering, as suggested above. Generally P&S tend to do everything for you, where a DSLR is going to make you work a little... this is especially true using any Creative Mode or Manual Mode. Also what brand was your P&S, was it on any specific mode that exaggerates colors/saturation? My friend has a P&S that has many modes that will give a certain Color Hue to every picture, or exaggerate the Color Saturation. Generally DSLR's don't have these modes, because photographers do this in PP in something like Lightroom or Aperture... there's more control there and you still have the original negative instead of an enhanced image straight from the camera.

Hi the point and shoot is a Kodak z1485, one thing I would like to know if its possible to change is the points of focus, I know in manual you can choose what you want, but when in Creative Auto is just seems to choose its own focus points, sometimes not the point you want in focus, the 500D has 9 points of focus, is there anyway in Creative Auto to set it to focus the whole image and not specific points??

Flickr (external link)

zerovision
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 18, 2010 08:22 |  #14

did you check what the ISO setting was on?

SwiftFootTim
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 18, 2010 08:34 |  #15

I always try to think of a P&S as a quick, get decent quality images that capture the moment. What I don't expect is shallow DOF conveying a sense of depth and focus in my images or the ability to focus in on the small nuances that can change the feeling of an image.

While I understand that the 500D has the modes such as 'creative' and 'portrait', I would encourage you to read the "Understanding Exposure" book and then practice so that you are comfortable in the M, Tv, and Ap modes where you, the photographer, have more control. Also, get acquainted with DPP from Canon or Lightroom from Adobe to really make those DSLR photos pop in post processing. Think of a DSLR not as a one stop solution for great photos, but as a tool in your toolbox for creating lasting memories.

Canon 1D MkIII, 580 EX II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Sigma 300 f/2.8 EX DG HSM, Lowepro Flipside 400 AW

sponsored links

9,032 views & 0 likes for this thread
500D on a sunny day
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.