Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Oct 2010 (Monday) 04:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

500D on a sunny day

neardark
THREAD ­ STARTER
161 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 18, 2010 12:40 as a reply to  @ post 11119513 |  #31

Thanks for all the replies, will check the settings then restore the defaults.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 18, 2010 12:49 |  #32

On another note - take the image from Flickr - you can reduce it by 2 stops and the sky will still be blown out...

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

mike_ripple
35 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 18, 2010 12:50 |  #33

My XSI sometimes behaves similarly to this. In contrasty bright sun situations, it tends to overexpose the shot. I commonly dial in -2/3 stop exposure compensation to get a proper exposure.

neardark
THREAD ­ STARTER
161 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 18, 2010 12:57 as a reply to  @ mike_ripple's post |  #34

I checked the "Exposure comp./AEB setting", it's set to default, right in the middle.

Flickr (external link)

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 18, 2010 13:06 |  #35

neardark wrote in post #11119843 (external link)
I checked the "Exposure comp./AEB setting", it's set to default, right in the middle.

Your Exif says that too ;) as people have mentioned - it metered the shadows...

neardark
THREAD ­ STARTER
161 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 18, 2010 13:37 |  #36

DetlevCM wrote in post #11119890 (external link)
Your Exif says that too ;) as people have mentioned - it metered the shadows...

so what do I do in situations like this, point to the sky and use AE Lock? or should I set my Exposure to -1 stop in the exposure compensation?

Flickr (external link)

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 18, 2010 13:41 |  #37

neardark wrote in post #11120038 (external link)
so what do I do in situations like this, point to the sky and use AE Lock? or should I set my Exposure to -1 stop in the exposure compensation?

Both are possible options :)

If you shot manual you'd just underexpose manually - check the histogram and reshoot or keep the original.

You can meter on the sky - then you get dark shadows - or use exposure compensation (requires more button presses) - both will give you the result you want.
Just play :)

neardark
THREAD ­ STARTER
161 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 18, 2010 15:42 as a reply to  @ DetlevCM's post |  #38

Could this be a fault with the camera or even a Firmware issue, after googling it, it seems I am not alone when it comes to this problem with the 500D/T1i.

Flickr (external link)

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 18, 2010 15:45 |  #39

neardark wrote in post #11120817 (external link)
Could this be a fault with the camera or even a Firmware issue, after googling it, it seems I am not alone when it comes to this problem with the 500D/T1i.

No....It's just physics and the limited dynamic range of the camera sensor.

The camera tried to expose the very dark area by the trees. This caused the sky to blow out. This is pretty much how photography works.

Sdiver2489
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 18, 2010 16:14 |  #40

neardark wrote in post #11120817 (external link)

If you want to prove the metering is fine then take a picture of something that is flat in color(no shadows or differences in color) and have it fill the frame. Then either take a screenshot of it and its histogram in digital photo pro or post the full image here.

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 18, 2010 19:10 as a reply to  @ Sdiver2489's post |  #41

The P&S pic's foreground shadows of trees, bushes & grass, on the left are all underexposed. There's very little detail in the landscape other than the water and sky. The big tree on the left is too dark, IMO. Yes, sky looks nice as does the reflection. Is that what you were trying to capture or were you trying to capture all details in the entire scene?

The 500D has a tendency to overexpose a bit but I've never had anything that bad. I set mine with EV between -1/3 to 2/3 (depending) to compensate to the slight overexposure. Reset camera back to defaults. If you're going to continue to shoot JPEG try using Picture Styles (see manual).

You really should consider shooting RAW, you'll have a lot more control over exposure, saturation, sharpness, contrast, highlights, shadows, color tone, White Balance, etc., on your computer. There is where you can really play either in the supplied DPP software (easy method) or Adobe Lightroom (slightly harder method) if you purchase that s/w.

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 18, 2010 19:39 |  #42

SwiftFootTim wrote in post #11118266 (external link)
I always try to think of a P&S as a quick, get decent quality images that capture the moment. What I don't expect is shallow DOF conveying a sense of depth and focus in my images or the ability to focus in on the small nuances that can change the feeling of an image.

While I understand that the 500D has the modes such as 'creative' and 'portrait', I would encourage you to read the "Understanding Exposure" book and then practice so that you are comfortable in the M, Tv, and Ap modes where you, the photographer, have more control. Also, get acquainted with DPP from Canon or Lightroom from Adobe to really make those DSLR photos pop in post processing. Think of a DSLR not as a one stop solution for great photos, but as a tool in your toolbox for creating lasting memories.

Well said, Tim. Using a 500D as a point and shoot is like cracking walnuts with a 12 pound sledgehammer...it does the job but you realise that you needed to control the tool a bit more carefully.

Growing old disgracefully!

neardark
THREAD ­ STARTER
161 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 19, 2010 01:48 |  #43

spotz04 wrote in post #11121814 (external link)
The P&S pic's foreground shadows of trees, bushes & grass, on the left are all underexposed. There's very little detail in the landscape other than the water and sky. The big tree on the left is too dark, IMO. Yes, sky looks nice as does the reflection. Is that what you were trying to capture or were you trying to capture all details in the entire scene?

The 500D has a tendency to overexpose a bit but I've never had anything that bad. I set mine with EV between -1/3 to 2/3 (depending) to compensate to the slight overexposure. Reset camera back to defaults. If you're going to continue to shoot JPEG try using Picture Styles (see manual).

You really should consider shooting RAW, you'll have a lot more control over exposure, saturation, sharpness, contrast, highlights, shadows, color tone, White Balance, etc., on your computer. There is where you can really play either in the supplied DPP software (easy method) or Adobe Lightroom (slightly harder method) if you purchase that s/w.

I wanted to capture the reflections on the water and just the vivid colour and the P&S Managed well.

Flickr (external link)

neardark
THREAD ­ STARTER
161 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 19, 2010 01:49 |  #44

spotz04 wrote in post #11121814 (external link)

I have Lightroom, I just shot in JPEG as I did not want to PP over 400 pics.

Flickr (external link)

spiralspirit
940 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 19, 2010 04:09 |  #45

neardark wrote in post #11123864 (external link)
I have Lightroom, I just shot in JPEG as I did not want to PP over 400 pics.

if you look at your images you'll see you're overexposed about a stop or so. Thats why checking your histogram while you're shooting is important.

That being said, had you shot in RAW you could have saved all of these pictures. The cost of doing things fast (jpeg) is less control and flexibility.

canon 1dmk2* Canon XSi * Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG * Canon 17-40mm f/4L * Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX * Canon 50mm f/1.8 *

sponsored links

8,949 views & 0 likes for this thread
500D on a sunny day
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.