Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 19 Oct 2010 (Tuesday) 12:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What's the least...

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 19, 2010 12:39 |  #1

"What's the least you'll take?", is a question I got used to on Craigslist but recently I've been getting it on the Sell Forum here.

I guess I'm a little snarky when I turn it around and ask, "What's the most you'll pay?" but for some reason I expect people to make an offer, not try to effect a self-induced low-ball...which has to be RARE.

Anyway, rant off but it is something I find off-putting and it makes me less likely accept an offer less than asking price.

-F

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

sponsored links
DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 19, 2010 12:51 |  #2

I usually reply with "I believe the stated price is fair and reasonable" because this is how I usually price the items I sell. There're obviously some people who list used gear at or above the msrp for new copies and expect to get on offer that will still be higher than the avg. market price, so I guess the answer to the question really depends on your pricing strategy.

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,675 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 19, 2010 12:54 as a reply to  @ DiMAn0684's post |  #3

I will generally reply back maybe $20 lower. When I sold my 100-400 a couple weeks ago, I was asking $1450, 3 months old, and had offers of $900-1000 from established members.

People think if you're selling gear you must be cash strapped. No thought is ever given to just needing to trim some gear down.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

Fernando
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 19, 2010 13:02 |  #4

DiMAn0684 wrote in post #11126151 (external link)
I usually reply with "I believe the stated price is fair and reasonable" because this is how I usually price the items I sell. There're obviously some people who list used gear at or above the msrp for new copies and expect to get on offer that will still be higher than the avg. market price, so I guess the answer to the question really depends on your pricing strategy.

I consider my pricing fair and flexible. I've been offered asking price for everything I've sold here. I did lose out on $30 on a body because I was in a hurry.

The guy who just sold his 50 mkI for $85 is making my current sale a pain.

-F

Fernando
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 19, 2010 13:06 |  #5

huntersdad wrote in post #11126170 (external link)
People think if you're selling gear you must be cash strapped. No thought is ever given to just needing to trim some gear down.

This seems to happen a lot. I don't need the money, I want to move superfluous gear or want to blow a little cash on a luxury that is my hobby.

-F

DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 19, 2010 13:10 |  #6

Austin Fern wrote in post #11126200 (external link)
The guy who just sold his 50 mkI for $85 is making my current sale a pain.

-F

I'll give you $90 :)

There're some very good deals in the "for sale" section from time to time, but usually the prices are within +/- 10% of what people usually expect.

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

Fernando
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 19, 2010 14:54 |  #7

DiMAn0684 wrote in post #11126247 (external link)
I'll give you $90 :)

There're some very good deals in the "for sale" section from time to time, but usually the prices are within +/- 10% of what people usually expect.

At least you aren't serious!

-F

Miami78
185 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 19, 2010 15:22 |  #8

I'll use that question if it's something I'm on the fence about getting. Actually asked that exactly a few days ago with a guy on craigslist selling wheels for my motorcycle. His price was very good but it was going to be a 700 mile drive roundtrip for me to go get them, so it wasn't very appealing to me. He dropped the price enough to make it worth my while and the next day I made the road trip. I wouldn't have been offended if he hadn't dropped his price, but I probably wouldn't have gotten the wheels and he wouldn't have had a sale.

If I'm selling something and the price is not negotiable I'll just list it with the price as "firm", makes it clear that the price will not be lowered.

Seems like most people build a buffer into their price anyway so that a buyer can request and recieve a drop in price to make them feel better about buying something, but it's the amount the seller wanted to get anyway (seller wants $500 for his item, lists it for $600, buyer asks for a price drop and buys it for $500...but buyer still would have asked for a price drop if it had been listed for $500). It's right along the same lines as most retail stores raising the msrp right before a sale...it makes the buyer feel better, and more likely to buy something, if they can feel like they got a better deal...

20d, Elan 7ne gripped, 28-105mm
My flickr (external link)

jbd007
50 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 19, 2010 17:03 |  #9

Austin Fern wrote in post #11126087 (external link)
"What's the least you'll take?", is a question I got used to on Craigslist but recently I've been getting it on the Sell Forum here.

I guess I'm a little snarky when I turn it around and ask, "What's the most you'll pay?" but for some reason I expect people to make an offer, not try to effect a self-induced low-ball...which has to be RARE.

Anyway, rant off but it is something I find off-putting and it makes me less likely accept an offer less than asking price.

-F

You have already establish what i would pay by putting your price in the post, however if your not quoting it as firm i feel it is negotiable.

How ever if you say it is firm then so be it. Just my thoughts on the subject.

volfan1978
720 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 19, 2010 17:12 |  #10

I've found this to be kind of irritating too. What I can't stand is when someone replies to one of my for sale ads and says something like "I'll offer you $50. What's your Paypal?" I may be asking $75 for it and he or she just assumes that I'm ready to take $50--doesn't even ask if I would consider their offer.

I had someone lecture me this week about my asking price on an item, basically telling me the item didn't sell anywhere near what I was asking, yet someone else bought it for my asking price later that day.

I don't have a problem being flexible sometimes with the price, but sometimes people can be just rude in the haggling process.

jgrussell
Looking around nervously
18,758 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 19, 2010 17:22 |  #11

Austin Fern wrote in post #11126087 (external link)

I think I might reply with: "What's the most you'll pay?"

-- jgr
blog (external link) | gear | my birds (external link)http://photos.jgrussel​l.com/gallery/7381653_​pK9fK (external link)

crcal
808 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 19, 2010 17:31 as a reply to  @ jgrussell's post |  #12

I've only been low balled once here on POTN, been lucky I guess.

I hate selling on craigslist already. People on craigslist for the most part are flakers and low ballers. Once I had a guy check out my 17-40mm lens for half an hour and offer me $300, saying that's all he had. And in my ad I said my price was FIRM AT $500, which I thought was already a very good price.

But yeah, I hate that "what's the least you'll take?" question. On craigslist I usually put a buffer on my price but on here I don't budge.

Calvin
Converted to Sony A7 and love it | Gear & Feedback

nprdavid
977 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 19, 2010 17:36 |  #13

it's a reflection of the economy, folks are trying to streeeeeeeeetch their dollars.

Hoosier Daddy
Flickr (external link)

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 19, 2010 17:43 |  #14

nprdavid wrote in post #11127717 (external link)
it's a reflection of the economy, folks are trying to streeeeeeeeetch their dollars.

I agree, but also the seller would have set the lower price if that is what he wanted. I have got those what is your lowest requests on items that were posted within 10 minutes of the post. Just make an offer, if it is close we can talk.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

Ezekiel97
608 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 19, 2010 17:54 |  #15

When I was selling my 65 mustang, I actually declined sale to people who said "what's the lowest you'll take". I'm all about working out the deal, but there is no working with someone who asks whats the lowest you'll take because they'll only lowball you and won't work a deal out.

Ryan-5D Markii

sponsored links

1,730 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's the least...
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.