Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 18 Oct 2010 (Monday) 15:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo Mechanic?

helloagain36
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 18, 2010 15:03 |  #1

I know this should probably go in the PP forum, but I am really looking for responses from wedding photographers, so I am going to post it here.

How many of you are using Photo Mechanic? What can it do that Lightroom cannot? After reading around online my understanding is that it's just faster at loading and culling images and can be used to tag metadata, but doesn't do any actual image processing.

Most of the information I found online was from photojournalists, but there also seems to be a number of wedding photographers using it as well.

Just looking for some opinions and...to make sure that I am not missing out on some big secret by not using this software.

-Dave

sponsored links
sevans16
Goldmember
1,005 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 18, 2010 15:58 |  #2

The biggest advantage I saw(2yrs ago), is the way it will string associcated keywords.
Great time saver for press work.
IE- if you enter the name of a bird: it would add 20-30 keywords such as the country of origin , latin term, family it belonged too, etc...
if you were covering let's say a racing event you can set it up so- you can simply enter a number(car, horse, etc..) and it will add the team, sponsors, owner, brands, rider/driver, etc...

Other than keywords- I think lightroom pretty much does most of what PM does(did 2yrs ago).

www.777Photography.com (external link)
D850, D810, Tamron 15-30 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8E VR, 24-70 f2.8E VR, 300 f4 PF, 200-500 f5.6E VR, 500 f5.6E PF, Nikon 85 f1.8G
Gitzo 3540/5540LS, Markins M-20, RRS B2 LR II, Wimberly WH200 Gimbal Head, CS6, LR4, 3-Elinchrom Style RX sets, Eli Quadras

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 18, 2010 18:22 |  #3

I use fast picture viewer to cull, it's nice and quick even on my slightly older hardware.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Christina
633 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 19, 2010 13:27 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #4

I use it and cannot imagine ever going back to culling in LR. PM is so, so, much faster. The previews load instantly. I use the star ratings to rank what I want to keep and what I don't, then filter the keepers and only import those into LR. Saves me so much time. So worth it!

Christina - Pittsburgh Wedding Photographer (external link)
Syncopated Pictures (external link)
http://christinamontem​urrophotography.com/bl​og/ (external link)

sevans16
Goldmember
1,005 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 19, 2010 13:41 |  #5

LR3 has near instant previews and you can uncheck the pics you do not want to import.
Not trying to argue- I am just checking to see if I missed something?

www.777Photography.com (external link)
D850, D810, Tamron 15-30 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8E VR, 24-70 f2.8E VR, 300 f4 PF, 200-500 f5.6E VR, 500 f5.6E PF, Nikon 85 f1.8G
Gitzo 3540/5540LS, Markins M-20, RRS B2 LR II, Wimberly WH200 Gimbal Head, CS6, LR4, 3-Elinchrom Style RX sets, Eli Quadras

Christina
633 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 19, 2010 13:53 as a reply to  @ sevans16's post |  #6

I can only speak from my own experience- not trying to argue either. :) I've upgraded to LR3 and I still find the previews unbearably slow. I'd much rather filter the pics out before I import, rather than checking/unchecking on the import screen. Considering I would be checking up to 900 photos, that could be painful.

If it works for you - great! But if you do find LR slow and want to speed up your workflow, you might want to download a trial of PM and see what you think.

Christina - Pittsburgh Wedding Photographer (external link)
Syncopated Pictures (external link)
http://christinamontem​urrophotography.com/bl​og/ (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 19, 2010 14:33 |  #7

Fast Picture Viewer (google it) takes advantage of the GPU to accelerate viewing and culling images. The ratings can be xmp compatible so you can import your ratings into LR/Bridge.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

helloagain36
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 19, 2010 14:53 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #8

Looks like FPV is doesn't support Mac...womp womp womp.
Is that a new(er) addition to your workflow Tim?

I think I'm going to give the PM trial a shot...It just seems like $150.00 beans is a lot for a program that essentially does nothing but preview images...however, if it is really that much faster then it might be worthwhile.

-Dave

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 19, 2010 17:33 |  #9

Yep, I bought it recently. It's faster than Bridge which I still like to use, I never took to LR.

caught14
194 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 20, 2010 12:50 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #10

I've used LR for the last 4 years, and just this last month downloaded the trial version of PhotoMechanic to cull a wedding. Compared to culling in LR3, it did go faster, mainly because the previews loaded faster. This makes a big difference if you are going through 2-3K images. I can't say how much time I actually saved overall since there was a bit of a learning curve for PhotoMechanic as far as me understanding how to do what I wanted and finding the keyboard shortcuts. I would guess it could potentially cut my culling time in half though.

Another 2 photographers had recommended that I try PM because in their experience they found themselves able to cull faster than in LR. I will say that LR3 was pretty quick at first, but seems to have slowed down a bit over the last several months. I could be missing something, but I keep plenty of space on my hard drives, use a new catalog for every client, and my machine is pretty new and decently spec'ed out (MacPro, dual quad-core, 10GB RAM). I run LR3 in 64-bit mode and still prefer this for small sessions (engagements, high school senior) but for weddings PM is worth looking into for the faster preview speeds.

Colling Photography (external link)
Cameras & Lenses - Canon 5DMkII x 3 | 30D | 24
L | 35L | 45 TS | 50L | 85IIL | 135L | 16-35IIL | 24-105L | 70-200L
www.collingphotogaller​y.com (external link)

Michelle ­ Brooks ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 22, 2010 09:39 |  #11

I bought PM after using the trial version; I was a third shooter & the primary mentioned suing PM so I gave it a try. I have LR3 and prior to trying PM used it to uplaod/cull shoots (including weddings). I am still very much in a learning curve with PM but it is warp speeds faster than LR3 at uploading and previewing. For me it's worth the money just for that. But I"m certain as I learn more about PM it will have other advantages as weel, tho I still use LR3 and Cs4 for editing.

Michelle Brooks Photography (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links

2,661 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photo Mechanic?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.