Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 13:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help picking a sports zoom.

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 21, 2010 16:15 |  #31

bspawr wrote in post #11140242 (external link)
My advice is to save your money BECAUSE this is going to be one expensive habit.

The decision really should be based on what you are going to do long term. If the plan is to keep this one and buy another later the best price/performance in your current range would be the 55-250. If your going to flip the lens once you get the additional $ then the 70 - 200 f4 would hold it's value better. Either way on the 7d you should get some fantastic results.

I agree with Brad on this one. The 55-250 is quite a surprising lens for the money. I doubt I would ever sell my one, it is tack sharp and a good example. It may need to be babied a bit as mentioned earlier, but really, who does not baby their lenses? Everybody I know does.

By spending a little to start with it will also give you a good opportunity to revue your shots and work out what focal range you use most. Then you can go out and purchase the best lens you can afford within your most used range.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

ECPrevatte
127 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 21, 2010 18:00 as a reply to  @ L.J.G.'s post |  #32

Playonpics.com wrote in post #11140125 (external link)
dude get a 70-200 f/4L... Used their 500-550

Don't think just buy

I started out with that lens and grew from there..
At world cup in Florida most are using a 70-200 f/2.8L or a 300mm either f/4 or f/2.8

This.

My vote: 70-200 F/4 (Non IS)

You don't need the IS version, and the F/4 should serve you well for the time being. Some of my sharpest pictures were using the F/4 in 2010 PSP PHX this season.

And if you're thinking mostly of paintball you really don't need the 2.8 for lighting issues. Everything is during the day. However when you want to start doing other sports you'll find more limitations.

Gear List | Feedback

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 21, 2010 18:22 |  #33

L.J.G. wrote in post #11140330 (external link)
I agree with Brad on this one. The 55-250 is quite a surprising lens for the money. I doubt I would ever sell my one, it is tack sharp and a good example. .

right, 250mm with "IS" image stabilization and tack sharp at only $199 - wowzaa

http://www.adorama.com​/CA55250AFSR.html (external link)

terpamber
THREAD ­ STARTER
23 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 25, 2010 14:07 |  #34

Thanks guys you rock, I've got some things to look into now and I'll let you know what I decide.

~Amber
www.andphoto.smugmug.c​om (external link)
www.llpaintball.com (external link)
www.lifelovegreen.com (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,352 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help picking a sports zoom.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.