Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 17 Oct 2010 (Sunday) 15:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Help me pick a studio strobe

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 21, 2010 13:01 |  #16

The cheapest solution if you truly are on a budget would be just to shoot at ISO 400. The only difference between 100/200/and 400ws is ISO 400/200/and 100.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

blocks
THREAD ­ STARTER
31 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 21, 2010 21:18 |  #17

CosmoKid wrote in post #11137816 (external link)
Why would you assume the Genesis has colorshift? Have you heard this? Read it here? Don't give a light a bad rap on an assumption.

Problem is I cannot find many reviews. And with bad reviews no one ever has pics showing the bad features. I didn't even find many pics of color tinting with Alien Bees. But people like to criticize Genesis strobes on flickr. Yeah, I know flickr, but those are what google returns for my searches. I wonder what your opinion is as you have several. Do you feel the need for the 400ws strobe or is 200 probably good enough?

tkbslc wrote in post #11139208 (external link)
The cheapest solution if you truly are on a budget would be just to shoot at ISO 400. The only difference between 100/200/and 400ws is ISO 400/200/and 100.

That will allow me to overpower the sun or other brightly backlit objects? Sometimes I try to take pics in my friend's backyard but sun is too strong and flash cannot compensate. Only if I blow the sky or bg can I get good exposure. So, just set to ISO400 and bg will be okay. I will still retain the bg detail?

I appreciate everyone's advice. I am a novice so perhaps my expectations are unreal. This is why I ask for your thoughts. I understand that I can do it cheaply and maybe it will suffice. But more often than not it leads to frustration and you wind up buying the better equipment you should have in the first place. And maybe I'll use it much more than I think and so I should try to spend a little more. I'm still a bit confused and need to read more but this helps put me on the right track, I hope. :)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
45,901 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 21, 2010 21:26 |  #18

blocks wrote in post #11142065 (external link)
Do you feel the need for the 400ws strobe or is 200 probably good enough? That will allow me to overpower the sun or other brightly backlit objects?

OK, let's analyze this...

Sunny 16 Rule says 1/ISO f/16 outside in sunlight...1/100 f/16
Previously I wrote that Buff claims of measured power with AB400 (real rating 160 w-s) f/11 + 0.2EV at 10' or GN120. In other words the AB400 could equal the sun out to 7.5' when shooting at f/16. Using 1/200 instead of 1/200, you would have f/11 on the lens, which would allow the AB400 to equal the sun to 11'.

If your flash was twice as powerful as the AB400, the f/11 distance increases to 15'. A flash four times as powerful as the AB400 would reach to 22' at f/11

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

4,043 views & 0 likes for this thread, 11 members have posted to it.
Help me pick a studio strobe
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.