Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 16 Aug 2010 (Monday) 21:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Loyalty Program

rioni
Goldmember
1,547 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 22, 2010 20:18 |  #1636

Just checked the shutter count on my replacement 5D2 and its thankfully it's only 32. This was with the MAC version off astrojargon.net. No problems on the sensor either.

sponsored links
thaking
Goldmember
1,358 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 22, 2010 20:36 |  #1637

i was given a UID and pwd...it gives you access to order history, order status, etc...

spotz04 wrote in post #11147209 (external link)
As of recent has anyone been given specific account info (UID and password) while ordering over the phone?

when i ordered mine i asked about warranty and return policy...i was told 14 days return policy and 90 day warranty...after my DOA 5D2, when i called i was told all sales were final no returns...but when i said it was broken when it arrived and insisted that another rep said 14 days, they said i could return it and get another...so, is it 14 days or all sales are final? i dunno...if all sales were final, then they wouldn't let some of the folks return them when they had dust specks...so, i'm betting the return policy is 14 days...

I thought someone said you have 14 days to return the camera for a replacement if you find a problem with the refurb. It's buried somewhere in this thread, which I though I remembered seeing within the first 10 or so pages. Feel free to search for it. ;) After 14 days it's the 90 warranty.

LudaChris
64 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 22, 2010 22:15 |  #1638

spotz04 wrote in post #11146840 (external link)
Just a quick skim through....the T2i and G11 are also available too. What ever's listed in the Canon store is what's being sold in the CLP, as far as the latest info I've seen posted in several forums around the web. I don't know the exact pricing on these two models but one might assume to take the 20% off for the CLP Refurb price. Always best to call Canon for exact dollar figure.

I tried ordering a T2i through CLP three separate times this morning and it was a no go.

[Insert Cool Camera Gear Here]

smacatl
Goldmember
1,546 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 22, 2010 22:51 |  #1639

There's a number of e-tailers who sell Mack Warranties. Some sell a 3 Year Diamond (includes water damage) for around $80 or less. YMMV while you go shopping. Amazon lists the Mack warranty at varouis price coverage points too which is sold by third-party etailers who list/sell through Amazon's site.

Rather than go off on a tangent about extended warranty information and try and cover all the available options, I think we should stick to basic information on the CLP, and mention that extended warranties are available thru 3rd party providers such as Mack. I'll add the suggestion to Google for options and select the plan that best fits your needs.

You don't need to sign up for an account at Canon or on their site to purchase a refurb through the phone number. When I bought the 7D they never asked for this info, nor assigned me a user name or password after the sale. Both Canon reps I spoke with never asked me me for any of this info, and when I bought the 7D I gave them my name, mailing address, phone number, trade in serial number, and a credit card. I wasn't given account information once they submitted my purchase in their system. Just 2 emails received, the invoice for the 7D and then return label. As of recent has anyone been given specific account info (UID and password) while ordering over the phone?

My guess is that while they may not have given you account information, an account was created for you as part of the order generation process. If you still have your paperwork look on the line for "Ship To:" or "Bill To". That 7 digit number is your Customer number, which is necessary for Canon's internal system to keep track of orders, shipments, and billing. It might be invisible to some customers, but it is there. If you ever order anything else from Canon (a second CLP camera for example) they will look you up and use the same Customer ID number.

Include the definition of a Refurb can also include units pulled from production to test, as per Helen's at Adorama's description when she commented about the Canon refurbs they sell.

Good point - I'll add it

I thought someone said you have 14 days to return the camera for a replacement if you find a problem with the refurb. It's buried somewhere in this thread, which I though I remembered seeing within the first 10 or so pages. Feel free to search for it. :wink: After 14 days it's the 90 warranty.

Also... NO REFUNDS. ALL SALES ARE FINAL.

Good point - I'll add it

The CLP has been going for at least 3 years. Look at the date of the first post on the Fatwallet forum.

Good point - I'll add it

Lastly, since the Market forum is for all Canon cameras, you really should at least list the link to the Powershot Refurbs since, as per Fatwallet, A LOT people have discussed trading up on those models too. Limiting this FAQ to DSLRs only leaves the Powershot folks out in the cold, which really isn't fair across the whole forum since there is a forum for Powershot folks. Here's the linky to the Powershot Refurb store, and then mention folks will have to contact Canon at the phone number for prices and qualifications of trade in model...

http://shop.usa.canon.​com …gory_10051_1005​1_-1_12163 (external link)

Now I know how this thread got to 110 pages! - I'll bet the majority of the folks here are looking for a DSLR, but I'll add the info for Powershot as well.

Other than that, the rest is a crap shoot that will probably change at some point. :lol:

Agreed! I am sure something is already out of date!!

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

Absolutely ­ Fabulous
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 23, 2010 00:39 |  #1640

thaking wrote in post #11147790 (external link)
i was given a UID and pwd...it gives you access to order history, order status, etc...

when i ordered mine i asked about warranty and return policy...i was told 14 days return policy and 90 day warranty...after my DOA 5D2, when i called i was told all sales were final no returns...but when i said it was broken when it arrived and insisted that another rep said 14 days, they said i could return it and get another...so, is it 14 days or all sales are final? i dunno...if all sales were final, then they wouldn't let some of the folks return them when they had dust specks...so, i'm betting the return policy is 14 days...

i've been told both stories too

http://www.belovedlove​photography.com (external link)my website (external link)

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 23, 2010 07:10 |  #1641

people crying about dust specs are nothing more than dudes that wear dresses.

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

jaeapla
61 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 23, 2010 07:14 as a reply to  @ Absolutely Fabulous's post |  #1642

When I received my 5DMKII, it came with a "REFURB" sticker on the bottom of the body, but I also noticed what looked like a large pin-prick over the last (to the right) digit of the serial number.

Could you other 5DMKII folks look and see if this was unique to mine, or whether this is another way of identifying a REFURB model (similar to a black remainder mark on a reduced-price book), since it's not that difficult to remove the REFURB sticker. This is not a big deal, just curious.

Canon EOS 5D MKIII w/BG-E11 l Canon EOS 7D w/BG-E7 l EF 24-105mm f/4L l EF 24-70mm f/2.8L l EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6L l EF 17-40mm F/4L l EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro l EF 50mm f/1.4 l EF 85mm f/1.8 l (2) 580EX II Flashes w/FlexTT5's

Ezekiel97
608 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 23, 2010 07:59 |  #1643

I have the same dot over my last serial.

Ryan-5D Markii

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 23, 2010 09:37 as a reply to  @ smacatl's post |  #1644

smacat - The checking of shutter count that you have on the FAQ. That program, EOSInfo, doesn't work on certain models (eg. T1i, 7D, etc) so you might want to mention it only supports certain models. If you don't then we'll see a boat load of post with people asking why they can't get a shutter counts off all their refurbs.

jaeapla - My 7D has a small dot cut out (pin-prick?) on the far upper right near the serial number on the sticker but it's not directly on to of a digit. Not sure if this is the same as what you're seeing on your 5DII but thought I'd mention it.

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 23, 2010 09:44 as a reply to  @ spotz04's post |  #1645

The dealnews site yesterday started listing all the DSLR bodies available on Canon's Refurb page along with the regular retail refurb prices (not CLP prices) while saying these are all good deal, including shipping. They also listed Adorama. That's just opened up a lot of sales for Canon. Potentially some bodies will run out of stock if people decide to go nuts buying. I guess we'll see. Watch the Canon refurb shopping page.

rioni
Goldmember
1,547 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 23, 2010 09:46 |  #1646

Can anyone tell me how to enable the joystick for focus point every shoot on my 5D2. I had this on my 40D for focus but can't seem to find how to enable it on the 5D2 (yes, I RTFM). Right now I am having to hit the focus button first before the joystick focus is enabled is a pain.

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 23, 2010 09:54 |  #1647

rioni wrote in post #11149967 (external link)
Can anyone tell me how to enable the joystick for focus point every shoot on my 5D2. I had this on my 40D for focus but can't seem to find how to enable it on the 5D2 (yes, I RTFM). Right now I am having to hit the focus button first before the joystick focus is enabled is a pain.

I think if you posted that in the EOS forum you'd get more responses. This thread is about the CLP. ;)

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=9

thaking
Goldmember
1,358 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 23, 2010 10:08 |  #1648

rioni wrote in post #11149967 (external link)

this thread has some good C Fn's: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=643892

tanneu
200 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 23, 2010 10:52 |  #1649

jaeapla wrote in post #11149555 (external link)
When I received my 5DMKII, it came with a "REFURB" sticker on the bottom of the body, but I also noticed what looked like a large pin-prick over the last (to the right) digit of the serial number.

Could you other 5DMKII folks look and see if this was unique to mine, or whether this is another way of identifying a REFURB model (similar to a black remainder mark on a reduced-price book), since it's not that difficult to remove the REFURB sticker. This is not a big deal, just curious.

I do see a pin prick above the last digit of serial number. Probably to identify refurbished.

Looks like Nikon also has those pin pricks. This is from another forum. "Nikon refurbished items do NOT come in the original retail box. They come in a plain corrugated cardboard box plainly marked "Nikon Refurbished Product". Additionally, all Nikon refurbished products (lenses, cameras, flashes) have the serial number punched with two "pin prick" marks on either side of the s/n, as in ".123456789.". No pin prick marks, then it's new. Pin prick marks - it's refurbished."

smacatl
Goldmember
1,546 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 23, 2010 14:22 |  #1650

spotz04 wrote in post #11149933 (external link)
smacatl - The checking of shutter count that you have on the FAQ. That program, EOSInfo, doesn't work on certain models (eg. T1i, 7D, etc) so you might want to mention it only supports certain models. If you don't then we'll see a boat load of post with people asking why they can't get a shutter counts off all their refurbs.

Good catch - I'll clarify that point on the FAQ post.

Thanks!

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

sponsored links

196,017 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Loyalty Program
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.