Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 18 Feb 2007 (Sunday) 12:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM

single_track
718 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 21, 2010 11:02 as a reply to  @ post 11120478 |  #2176

Optically, this lens is newer in design and performance, beyond the addition of the IS function. They are different lenses even ignoring the IS function. There are numerous threads addressing this issue as it has been raised before.

The price delta represents this performance gain, not just the addition of IS.

I always want C&C on my shots.
Gear list: 70d, 5d & 40d | 70-200L/f4 IS | 24-70L | 17-40L | Sigmalux | 17-85 IS | Opteka 6.5mm fisheye | 580exII
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/120400139@N03/ (external link)

sponsored links
mangrovedutch
522 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 21, 2010 19:16 |  #2177

single_track wrote in post #11138501 (external link)
Optically, this lens is newer in design and performance, beyond the addition of the IS function. They are different lenses even ignoring the IS function. There are numerous threads addressing this issue as it has been raised before.

Thank you for that answer. That explains what I initially thought about this lens. It seems that I don't need my eyes tested after all :lol:
I have searched a number of archives on a number of forums, asked a few questions, and generally the answer is that they SHOULD be the same, and even that the IS is just a gimmick for a few more dollars. Makes you wonder whether people actually know the product they own, or profess to own. This is why POTN is my go to site, I generally have faith in the people here who have a genuine love for photography and their equipment. Even when a so called stupid question is asked, an honest answer is not that far away.

Thanks again for your answer, I am now looking for the IS. :rolleyes:

Kind Regards, Dutch

lensmen
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Oct 21, 2010 20:11 |  #2178

single_track wrote in post #11138501 (external link)

Thank you Single_track, I didn't really know the difference in design until now.

As a reviewer simply put it (under cons) : " this is a perfect lens. Pay your $1,050 and be happy" Kenrockwell (external link)

Jimmy
Just my 2 frame's worth :D:D:D
My Gear List
500px album (external link)

GarryF
78 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 22, 2010 02:56 as a reply to  @ lensmen's post |  #2179

first snow of the winter

IMAGE: http://oregon.smugmug.com/Landscapes/General/MG2955/1056041301_R48iS-XL.jpg

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 22, 2010 08:02 |  #2180

Went to take some pics for the Widlfowl and Wetlands Trust photo competition (external link). I was mainly using my new Tokina 11-16 for some mega close-ups but I was so pleased I had my 70-200 when I saw these two -

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/Love.jpg

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

lensmen
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Oct 22, 2010 08:11 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #2181

Good details and composure hollis_f

bw!bw!bw!

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/Love.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Jimmy
My Gear List

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 22, 2010 08:40 |  #2182

lensmen wrote in post #11144040 (external link)
Good details and composure hollis_f

Thanks. I'm hoping it will do well in the competition - details here (external link).

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.

lensmen
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Oct 22, 2010 08:53 |  #2183

hollis_f wrote in post #11144155 (external link)
Thanks. I'm hoping it will do well in the competition - details here (external link).

Voted for you ^-^

Jimmy
My Gear List

mangrovedutch
522 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 22, 2010 19:48 |  #2184

Excellent capture, I too, just voted for you. That is just gorgeous :-D

Regards, Dutch

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 23, 2010 06:47 |  #2185

Thanks for the kind comments and the votes guys, although I don't think I stand a chance in the 'People's Choice' category as it seems that having lots of friends to vote for your pic is all that matters. But I do hope the actual judges might like it.

ProD1gy_KiD
894 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 23, 2010 06:55 |  #2186

here's a couple when i had my f4 IS and Rebel T1i with me. taken in Philippines back in May of this year.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4107/5106731505_b32cb0233d_b.jpg

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

C&C are welcome. :)

johnnygals
51 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 23, 2010 07:11 |  #2187

hollis_f wrote in post #11149506 (external link)
Thanks for the kind comments and the votes guys, although I don't think I stand a chance in the 'People's Choice' category as it seems that having lots of friends to vote for your pic is all that matters. But I do hope the actual judges might like it.

here's another vote for you! good luck!

oh, and this will be my next lens!

Canon 7D, 24-70mm 2.8L, 580EXII
canon 200mm 2.8L, 50mm 1.8, sigma 30mm 1.4
jgalia photography (external link)

lensmen
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Oct 24, 2010 04:31 |  #2188

hollis_f wrote in post #11149506 (external link)

The contest is the bonus.

The key is that you enjoyed this photo so much that you are sharing it with us.

Plus we are agreeable that it is good ^-^

Jimmy
My Gear List

gkanetkar
229 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 24, 2010 06:24 |  #2189

This is an awesome lens.. specially so with FF camera body for my purpose. Love it.

This is an abstract photo from Michigan fall color.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/5098639932_4acaeedfc1_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/38269804@N08/5​098639932/  (external link)

5D II | Xt | 17-40 f/4 L | 70-200mm f/4 L IS | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 | Kenko Extension tube set | 580Ex II.
Flickr (external link)
http://www.surrealcapt​ures.com (external link)

orbitechgr
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 24, 2010 06:45 |  #2190

mangrovedutch wrote in post #11116877 (external link)
G'day, WOW there is a significant difference between the IS and Non IS. This lens is beautifully crisp, sharp and overall (to me) there is a huge difference in IQ between IS and non IS. Is this the lens quality or is it the photographer being of better quality (this is ofcourse assuming that the those using this lens are more experienced)? I understand the IS is an important feature, but even the crispest of non IS has IMO a lesser IQ. Do they use a better glass in the IS? I need some really good reasons to justify doubling the cost of my next lens- 70-200 F4.0L.

I figure it is safer asking the question here than on the non IS thread, I don't want to start some huge ongoing debate :-)

Regards, Dutch

But the IS won't help a bit, trust me I have one and I can assure you about that.. :p
Well the answer is obvious my friend, besides the capability of the photographer. IS will help a lot in many cases. If you can take the IS version do it. Period. ;)

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Jim

sponsored links

2,255,324 views & 1,786 likes for this thread
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.