Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 21 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 01:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BlackRapid FastenR-T1 WARNING!

Flytyer
137 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 21, 2010 17:48 as a reply to  @ post 11140881 |  #31

Well I took mine apart and put the original one on and by gosh it does lock better. Not by much but enough so I am not going to use it. You are to be commended.

No it did not slid one bit with the BR one on it. It locked solid just the lever did not go quite as far.

jb

sponsored links
JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Oct 22, 2010 01:01 |  #32

Snydremark wrote in post #11140743 (external link)
Great images and info, thanks. Note the emphasis I added to your post.

The problem is that the new fastener has a 'spacer' on it that makes it so that the bolt doesn't seat in far enough into that counter-bore that you call out. Therefore, the nice, slick nickel plating is in direct contact with the tripod receiver and allows the plate to slide even after the lock lever(s) are snapped into place.

If you take a measurement of the bolt head on the original fastener of the 488RC2 plate there, you'll find that it's .196in (5mm) high. When the bolt is seated into that counter-bore, the distance from the surface of the plate to the top of the bolt head is .157in (4mm). This leaves, roughly, .028in (.711mm) of clearance between the bolt head and the tripod receiver if the overall depth of main the cutout is .182in (4.66mm)

On the T1 fastener, the bolt head is ALSO .196in (5mm) high, but there is an additional 'spacer' on top of that [Seen in the op image] that is another .039in (1mm) high and it's this spacer that slips into the counter-bore. This leaves the entire .196in (5mm) height of the bolt head sticking above the plane of the qr plate's surface.

If you then factor in that the main cutout under that plate is .182in (4.6mm), you have .014in (.355mm) of the T1 fastener extending past the cutout and giving "slip" to the whole unit when it's mounted. .014in (.355mm) is a very minute amount, but when compressing a nickel plated surface down onto another, hard surface like this it's enough to cause slippage. :(

Thanks for the assistance with this, btw! :)

Numbers here are reference, (mine) measured with a ruler and converted to decimal/mm manually; not measured with precision calipers and may not be EXACT. But they help illustrate the problem.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I took the liberty of making some annotations on your image so I can be sure we are both talking about the same parts.

The parts of both screws that is .196 (5mm) I marked as 1 and 2, correct? The "spacer" is no. 3, and you're saying this fits into the counterbore. What is the diameter of the part at no. 3 and how does it compare to the through hole in the plate?

Does the shoulder at No. 3 fit into the through hole in the plate? If it doesn't, and I think it should, then that would cause the problem you are describing. It would also mean you might be a victim of "tolerance creep."

Every manufactured item is built to tolerances because it would be physically impossible to make each item exactly the same. Sometimes dimensions creep to the top of the tolerance and and sometimes to the bottom of the tolerance. If the hole in your plate slid toward the small end of the tolerance and the Black Rapid T1 crept toward the top of the tolerance, then it might not fit as it was intended. Neither part is defective in itself but together they don't work.

Does this make sense?

John

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 24, 2010 17:12 |  #33

I have three RC2 plates. On the bottom side, each one has a different letter. One is a B, C, and E.

The T1 and the E work fine. The T1 and the C do not work as well, but they do work. I have not tested the B version.

Would others with issues please check if there is a letter on the bottom of the plate and we can see if there is a pattern.

Thanks

Edit: I added a photo where you can see the B and the C on the plates. The third plate with the E is unfortunately covered.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

BorisMD
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 24, 2010 17:18 as a reply to  @ Heath's post |  #34

Mine is a "D" and is not compatible.

I ordered a new plate from Amazon, and will see what I get with order, and report back on compatibility.

Regards,

Boris

Boris Beckert
Lake Elmo, MN
Canon 7D 50 f/1.8, EF-S 10-22, EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6, EF 70-200L IS f/4

Snydremark
THREAD ­ STARTER
my very own Lightrules moment
19,367 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 25, 2010 00:03 as a reply to  @ BorisMD's post |  #35

2 Ds and an H here; none of them work correctly.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Flytyer
137 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 25, 2010 08:44 as a reply to  @ Snydremark's post |  #36

I don't know if those letters mean anything. Mine is an "F" and it works but the lever just does not move as far as with the OEM screw. The raised part of the T1 has no effect on mine but the thickness of the nut does. Without the washer the lever closes fully.

jb

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 25, 2010 09:24 |  #37

The letters are probably the "mold mark", which particular mold any specific plate was cast in. If there's a difference among them, I'd assume it's due to wear as much as anything else.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

GeneC
500 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 25, 2010 12:06 |  #38

The FastenR-T1 is 1mm too deep and will not allow the RC2 QR plate to mount solidly on a tripod; my camera and lens went crashing to the ground tonight because of this. I've returned my RC2 plates to their original mounting d-ring and will be taking my T1s back to BR. vmad

Am I correct in saying that you released your grip on the cameras even though the RC2 plate wasn't seated in the clamp and the lever on the clamp was not fully closed? And it wouldn't stay balanced on top of the clamp for you. :lol::lol:

You're really not serious about your camera crashing to the ground for this reason_____are you?

Canon 5D3 with lenses, Sony A7r with lenses, Nikon D810 with lenses. Olympus EP-5 with lenses, Gitzo, RRS Markins and Acratech.

Snydremark
THREAD ­ STARTER
my very own Lightrules moment
19,367 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 25, 2010 15:50 |  #39

GeneC wrote in post #11161397 (external link)
You're really not serious about your camera crashing to the ground for this reason_____are you?

I'm saying that, in the dark, I mounted the camera to the tripod and heard the click from the lever snapping in to place. At which point I let go of the camera and it fell off of the tripod.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

JWright
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Oct 25, 2010 16:05 as a reply to  @ GeneC's post |  #40

I would still like to know what the diameter of the raised shoulder on the T1 is. I still think that's supposed to nest into the hole in the plate.

Everyone seems so quick to blame Black Rapid for the fit problems and not Manfrotto. Looking at all of the Manfrotto stuff I have kicking around the house, I'd say they have a tendency to play it a bit loose with their manufacturing standards. Black Rapid's fit and finish is certaily better than Manfrotto's.

If Manfrotto's plates are cast rather than forged or machined, then there is going to be more variation in the product, especially if there is no further work done on them after they come out of the mold.

Take a look at the clamp on the Manfrotto heads. It's obviously a casting with no machining except for where the lever attaches and the screw threads for the post. Now look at a similar Really Right Stuff plate and clamp. They are fine machinings that fit together well. That's why the Manfrotto plates are $12.00 and an equivalent RRS plate sells for $55.00...

And before anybody comments on whether or not I work for BR, I don't... I just don't like to see people blaming a company when the problems might not be their fault.

John

GeneC
500 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 25, 2010 17:25 |  #41

Snydremark wrote in post #11162834 (external link)
I'm saying that, in the dark, I mounted the camera to the tripod and heard the click from the lever snapping in to place. At which point I let go of the camera and it fell off of the tripod.

Obviously it's not a good idea to try things out in the dark when you can't see what's going on. It's an unfortunate accident that should not have happened. I used to have a Manfrotto BH with an RC2 clamp. The correct proceedure is to open the lever with your hand , set the gear in the clamp, the lever releases, you keep your hand on the lever and make sure it's in it's locked position before you let go of anything. You then engage the locking device device and you're safe. It appears you did everything wrong. It should have been crystal clear that something was wrong when the lever didn't close. Hindsight is always best right?:)

Canon 5D3 with lenses, Sony A7r with lenses, Nikon D810 with lenses. Olympus EP-5 with lenses, Gitzo, RRS Markins and Acratech.

nitehawk55
856 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 25, 2010 18:17 |  #42

JWright wrote in post #11162937 (external link)
I would still like to know what the diameter of the raised shoulder on the T1 is. I still think that's supposed to nest into the hole in the plate.

Everyone seems so quick to blame Black Rapid for the fit problems and not Manfrotto. Looking at all of the Manfrotto stuff I have kicking around the house, I'd say they have a tendency to play it a bit loose with their manufacturing standards. Black Rapid's fit and finish is certaily better than Manfrotto's.

If Manfrotto's plates are cast rather than forged or machined, then there is going to be more variation in the product, especially if there is no further work done on them after they come out of the mold.

Take a look at the clamp on the Manfrotto heads. It's obviously a casting with no machining except for where the lever attaches and the screw threads for the post. Now look at a similar Really Right Stuff plate and clamp. They are fine machinings that fit together well. That's why the Manfrotto plates are $12.00 and an equivalent RRS plate sells for $55.00...

And before anybody comments on whether or not I work for BR, I don't... I just don't like to see people blaming a company when the problems might not be their fault.

Good points John , big difference in machined or cast parts as you mention and from what I've been reading here this looks to be a good possability of being the issue if different casts are used there is definately going to be variations . I'll have a look at my 2 Manfrotto plates when my R-T1 arrives .

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 25, 2010 18:20 |  #43

And that being the case, shouldn't BR have taken a closer look at the RC2 plates out there before they made the piece to "fit" them?

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

phreeky
Goldmember
3,514 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 25, 2010 18:34 |  #44

You can't be serious. Manfrotto plates work as delivered to customers. If a third party makes a product for it then it is THEIR responsibility to ensure it works as expected.

JWright
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Oct 25, 2010 19:17 |  #45

phreeky wrote in post #11163748 (external link)
You can't be serious. Manfrotto plates work as delivered to customers. If a third party makes a product for it then it is THEIR responsibility to ensure it works as expected.

Ever wonder why the hole in a Manfrotto plate is over 3/8 of an inch in diameter, but the screw going through it is only a 1/4 inch? I think even Manfrotto realizes there are variations in the dimensions of their plates...

John

sponsored links

67,361 views & 0 likes for this thread
BlackRapid FastenR-T1 WARNING!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.