Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 10:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Magnesium vs. Plastic Body Construction

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 25, 2010 13:14 as a reply to  @ post 11161248 |  #106

It's more a prestige feature more than anything else. Same reason why Saturn cars with plastic doors didn't catch on. When you're buying a camera in the $1k+ range, it better be made out of premium materials. Plastics are considered cheap, even if the plastic strength matches metal strength. Anyhow, just another reason for Canon marketing to give us less for more in the name of product differentiation. Nikon at least kept the mag. body on the D7000.

sponsored links
Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 25, 2010 13:31 |  #107

I see the Bugatti Veyron has a mass of Carbon fibre body panels. I'd hardly call the Veyron cheap. Likewise F1 cars and MotoGP bikes, some even use "plastic" in the guts of the machinery, Ducatti use a carbon fibre rear swing arm for example. If its good enough for the Doctor, then its good enough for me.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 25, 2010 13:35 |  #108

Somehow, carbon fiber is accepted as high quality, but other composites are considered "cheap", regardless of actual properties.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

Mundty
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 25, 2010 13:36 |  #109

Lowner wrote in post #11161966 (external link)
I see the Bugatti Veyron has a mass of Carbon fibre body panels. I'd hardly call the Veyron cheap. Likewise F1 cars and MotoGP bikes, some even use "plastic" in the guts of the machinery, Ducatti use a carbon fibre rear swing arm for example. If its good enough for the Doctor, then its good enough for me.

Carbon Fiber is much more expensive than any Metal or Plastic... I'm not sure where you were going with that one, lol. It's also more durable than either of those Materials.

www.mikemundt.com (external link)
EOS 5D Mark II | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Speedlite 430EX II | Manfrotto MT293A4 & 494 Tripod
Interests: Environmental Portraits | Urban/Travel | Wildlife | Landscape | Celestial | Experimental

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 25, 2010 13:39 |  #110

realmike15 wrote in post #11162000 (external link)
Carbon Fiber is much more expensive than any Metal or Plastic... I'm not sure where you were going with that one, lol. It's also more durable than either of those Materials.

carbon fiber comes in many grades, just like aluminum and plastic.

Taylor

Mundty
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 25, 2010 13:41 |  #111

tkbslc wrote in post #11162018 (external link)
carbon fiber comes in many grades, just like aluminum and plastic.

Yes, but not the stuff he's talking about... Like on the Veyron

EOS 5D Mark II | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Speedlite 430EX II | Manfrotto MT293A4 & 494 Tripod
Interests: Environmental Portraits | Urban/Travel | Wildlife | Landscape | Celestial | Experimental

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 25, 2010 13:44 |  #112

I would doubt the Veyron body panels are extremely strong. They are carbon primarily for weight savings, I would presume. The 80s Camaros used fiberglass composites for the same reason.

Taylor

Mundty
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 25, 2010 13:46 |  #113

tkbslc wrote in post #11162053 (external link)
I would doubt the Veyron body panels are extremely strong. They are carbon primarily for weight savings, I would presume. The 80s Camaros used fiberglass composites for the same reason.

They are, that's the huge safety benefit of using carbon fiber. Not only is it more durable but it absorbs impact better. It's a a Safety thing as well as a Weight thing.

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 25, 2010 14:00 |  #114

ingraman wrote in post #11161834 (external link)
... Nikon at least kept the mag. body on the D7000.

Actually, no, they didn't. The D7000 is half plastic. My cynical mind assumes it is half-mag so their marketing material can say the magic word "magnesium".

Tom

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 25, 2010 14:12 |  #115

realmike15 wrote in post #11162067 (external link)
They are, that's the huge safety benefit of using carbon fiber. Not only is it more durable but it absorbs impact better. It's a a Safety thing as well as a Weight thing.

Carbon shatters when it is impacted beyond its design limits, so I really doubt this. A 200mph crash is going to leave tiny carbon fragments all over the place. The safety is in the interior cage of the car, which is likely NOT carbon.

Taylor

spiralspirit
940 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 25, 2010 14:21 |  #116

carbon has a huge advantage in terms of strength/weight ratio, but does not do well with large shocks (it shatters) that plastic might happily deform and than return to normal. That being said I'm not sure that any impact that would shatter decent carbon fiber would be survivable by a poly body's electronics.

canon 1dmk2* Canon XSi * Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG * Canon 17-40mm f/4L * Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX * Canon 50mm f/1.8 *

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,775 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 25, 2010 14:25 |  #117

tkbslc wrote in post #11162217 (external link)
Carbon shatters when it is impacted beyond its design limits, so I really doubt this. A 200mph crash is going to leave tiny carbon fragments all over the place. The safety is in the interior cage of the car, which is likely NOT carbon.

The ability to absorb impact by crumpling or redirecting force to crumple zones is also important. I don't think carbon fiber can do either, even in a low-to-medium-speed crash involving half a ton or more.

These days, it's true that nonmetallic body panels work just as well in terms of crash protection because it's the steel cage that's providing all the protection. Steel panels, however, are less expensive to repair than non-metallic panels--which is a function more of the available repair part distribution and repair technology than a characteristic inherent in the panel material itself.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,775 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 25, 2010 14:28 |  #118

spiralspirit wrote in post #11162261 (external link)
carbon has a huge advantage in terms of strength/weight ratio, but does not do well with large shocks (it shatters) that plastic might happily deform and than return to normal. That being said I'm not sure that any impact that would shatter decent carbon fiber would be survivable by a poly body's electronics.

The late legendary camera technician Marty Forscher used to hammer a nail into a board with a Nikon F body and then take pictures with it. I'm doubtful you could do that with any modern DSLR even if the body withstood the hammering.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

gcogger
Goldmember
2,554 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Oct 25, 2010 14:31 |  #119

When Formula 1 cars moved from metal to carbon fibre for the tub and the nose cone, the cars became safer... Carbon fibre is actually very good at dissipating impact forces.

Graeme
My galleries (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 25, 2010 14:31 |  #120

RDKirk wrote in post #11162312 (external link)
The late legendary camera technician Marty Forscher used to hammer a nail into a board with a Nikon F body and then take pictures with it. I'm doubtful you could do that with any modern DSLR even if the body withstood the hammering.

I don't see how that is a knock to modern camera construction. If put a small hammer in my camera bag ($5 at the hardware store) then I can also hammer in a nail and then take a picture with my 30D. Why would I want to hammer in a nail with a camera when a $5 tool does the job better?

Taylor

sponsored links

51,244 views & 0 likes for this thread
Magnesium vs. Plastic Body Construction
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.