Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Oct 2010 (Monday) 18:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Purchase from Lensrentals.com

dankopp
192 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 25, 2010 18:29 |  #1

I have been very happy with the lenses I have rented from them. Anyone purchased their used lenses? Is it a concern that they have been rentals? I'd never buy a used car from Hertz, but this seems different, since they seem to take good care of their equipment.

I know I can buy from the classifieds here, but I get a little squeamish sending that much money to a stranger.

sponsored links
Hoyts ­ n' ­ Mulies
83 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 25, 2010 18:43 |  #2

I have not bought from Lensrentals but have purchased and sold a lot of items on the net. I always use paypal as it works just like a credit card giving the buyer protection.

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 25, 2010 18:52 as a reply to  @ Hoyts n' Mulies's post |  #3

I've bought a teleconverter from lensrentals.com. Was exactly as described, if anything their ratings are conservative. Most of the lenses have a 90 day warranty, which is actually better than most places selling second hand gear, as well as the 3 day inspection where if not happy return for full refund. Just check the details in the sale listing.

As far as I am concerned, if I was buying a second hand lense, it would be one of the few places I would actually consider.... they can't afford to rip people off, as they live (and die) by their reputation.

The owner actually a forum member here, but cant remember his user name at the moment.

Daniel

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

MRagon
953 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 25, 2010 21:14 |  #4

His name is Roger. They are local for me, very reputable, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them. I've been in their actual location to pick up lenses. Great people and very helpful. They have helped out the local camera club on occasion also. I'm not vouching for the condition of a used lens. The ones I've rented have been great, however. I'm just saying they are very legitimate.

Canon 7D | Canon G12 | 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 |17-55mm f2.8 IS | 24-105mm f4L IS USM | 70-200 f4L IS | Ʃ 30 f1.4 | 50mm f1.4 | 85mm f1.8 | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 430EX II | LumoPro LP 160

pman67
392 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 25, 2010 21:54 as a reply to  @ MRagon's post |  #5

I've only bought a couple of small items like batteries from them so far, but the service and quality is just as good as the rental side!

And like previously said, at the very least they give you a 3 day inspection period. I browse there site quite often, and they do offer a 90 day warranty on most of the lenses as well.

-Phil

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 25, 2010 22:48 |  #6

I would not buy used anything from a rental firm, sorry. Cars are a good example. No one treats their rental well. And then there is all the shipping back and forth. Keh.com is a great place for used.

GEAR LIST

mansalim
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 26, 2010 01:56 |  #7

i know someone who bought the used lens from the lensrental.. they described their item at their best ability so you know what to expect.. and if you expect a used lens to look exactly like new, you'll be disappointed. A used lens is a used lens.. Although their price is not so competitive.. (cheaper here or ebay)

:)

Roger ­ Cicala
507 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 26, 2010 20:14 |  #8

MRagon wrote in post #11164758 (external link)
His name is Roger.

That would be me, and I do hang out here, but NEVER pimp the gear. Although I'd agree with pretty much every post in the thread, they are all accurate.

The most important one is the one that says "we live and die by our reputation". There's at least one person in this forum that can tell you they bought a lens from us, didn't like it, and sent it back for a refund (maybe more, but one I know of). But you won't find anyone saying "Lensrentals screwed me over."

Roger

My gear is www.lensrentals.com (external link)

mansalim
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 26, 2010 21:43 |  #9

roger, whats the difference between southern Lensrental and standard Lensrental?

:)

Roger ­ Cicala
507 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 27, 2010 11:49 |  #10

mansalim wrote in post #11171746 (external link)
roger, whats the difference between southern Lensrental and standard Lensrental?

Probably like the difference between a Fairy Tale and a Southern Fairy tale?

Regular Fairy Tale starts "Once upon a time. . . "

Southern Fairy Tale starts "Y'all ain't gonna believe this S#%*"

So I'm guessing a person describing a regular Lensrentals says
"I got some really nice images with my rental lens . . . . . "

My gear is www.lensrentals.com (external link)

StageOne
164 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 27, 2010 11:59 |  #11

I've purchased a used lens from Lensrental in the past and it was great. The listing very accurately described the item and I think it actually underestimated the condition. IIRC the rating was a 8.5/9 and when I received it, the condition was excellent. The body and glass were basically like new (not even scrapes or scratches on the hood.) The only part that looked like it had any wear was the metal mounting ring, which is not unexpected due to the metal to metal contact during mounting.

The only thing I wish is they could retain the box, but I understand that would require a huge amount of storage space.

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 27, 2010 12:11 |  #12

mansalim wrote in post #11166083 (external link)
Although their price is not so competitive.. (cheaper here or ebay)

Ahh - cheap price doesn't always equal good deal. The chances of buying stolen gear through ebay - reasonable. Chance of buying stolen gear off the forum, it exists, but low. Chance of buying stolen gear from lensrentals - I would say non-existent. It's a matter of your personal choice. For some people they dont mine paying a little more to ensure they actually get to keep it... And their prices must be about right - as you don't see too many lenses re-listed (if you follow the RSS feed).

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

itzcryptic
Goldmember
1,174 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 27, 2010 12:14 |  #13

I've not bought anything from them, but my rentals have been flawless. Maybe I got lucky and got newer lenses both times.

Strayz
691 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 27, 2010 13:01 |  #14

With my exsperances With Roger and Crew, I can safely say if you buy from them you are not going to get screwed. The reputation they have is earned.

Besides where else can you get a 2999.99 lens used for $1500.00 ish. ( yeah I wold like to get the sigma 120-300 F2.8)

Back to learning after a 5ish year break from photography

sponsored links

3,668 views & 0 likes for this thread
Purchase from Lensrentals.com
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.