Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 25 Oct 2010 (Monday) 13:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

print sales...

bdpaco
696 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 25, 2010 13:45 |  #1

Right now I get 50% when the client places their order and the balance when they pick them up...
I was just wondering what everyone else does..and how you feel about drop shipping straight from the lab.. I am still pretty new dealing with prints so I am hesitant to drop ship, I want to double check the print before my client sees it..am I just being paranoid or just playing it safe?

My Blog
http://rickbandaphotog​raphy.blogspot.com/ (external link)
My Website
www.rickbandaphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
RobKirkwood
Goldmember
1,124 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 26, 2010 05:01 |  #2

100% upfront, and we print ourselves, so we know what the quality is like.

Rob

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 26, 2010 06:00 |  #3

I never drop ship from the lab - it comes straight to me for inspection, then I either have the client pick it up if they're local, or I mail it and charge them s/h. When they order off my site, they send me a check for the full amount, attached to the order form.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 26, 2010 09:20 |  #4

100% up front. I prefer to see them first, but will drop ship if it's the right thing to do for a specific circumstance. If you drop ship and are using a lab that's available to the consumer like Mpix, you'll want to be sure they ship it without any lab markings.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

caught14
194 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 26, 2010 15:51 as a reply to  @ Peacefield's post |  #5

100% up front.

I used to inspect everything at first, but not anymore as there are some cases where drop shipping is way easier. But only if your lab offers some kind of gift wrapping would I even consider it.

If you've worked with your lab enough you will know what to expect when ordering prints. Get yourself a calibration tool (I use Xrite Eye2) and download your lab's printer profiles if they have them for soft proofing in Photoshop. That way you can be confident that whatever you see on your screen is exactly what is printed at the lab.

Colling Photography (external link)
Cameras & Lenses - Canon 5DMkII x 3 | 30D | 24
L | 35L | 45 TS | 50L | 85IIL | 135L | 16-35IIL | 24-105L | 70-200L
www.collingphotogaller​y.com (external link)

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 26, 2010 17:15 |  #6

I do 50% up front too.
I also do my own printing on almost everything so no drop shipping.

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 26, 2010 18:24 |  #7

I do what Stu does, but people pay online via paypal. I use photographers shopping cart, but if there was a good print fulfillment service here i'd use it, dealing with prints is very time consuming.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 26, 2010 18:48 |  #8

tim wrote in post #11170686 (external link)
I do what Stu does, but people pay online via paypal. I use photographers shopping cart, but if there was a good print fulfillment service here i'd use it, dealing with prints is very time consuming.

Not only is it time consuming but it's a little bit of a pain when people place small orders. My lab has a minimum or I have to eat an upcharge, so I tend to group orders together. I recall Tim you mentioned in the past that you have a minimum order requirment, and I'm liking that idea more and more now.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

caught14
194 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 28, 2010 12:51 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #9

I started doing minimum print orders too, mainly because the lab I use (WHCC) also has a minimum order price and it is time consuming to process them all on my end. Portrait sessions aren't an issue, but for weddings there's always the friend or relative that wants (1) 5x7 or (2) 4x6's or something like that. These are fine if I can group several of these orders together but I'm not always guaranteed that. If people don't quite meet the minimum order amount, then this "encourages" them to add a couple extra prints and increases the total order amount. This makes up for any sales I may lose from someone who only wants a couple small prints.

bdpaco
THREAD ­ STARTER
696 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 28, 2010 13:13 |  #10

Thanks for the advice..one more question, do you offer 4x6 prints? I try to stay away from them since I do offer x amount of high res images on a disk with some of my larger packages and for what I feel I should charge for them I feel like a thief compared to the .28 cents Wal mart and places charge. not really sure how to handle 4x6 sales I guess..

My Blog
My Website

angryhampster
"Got a thick monopod?"
3,860 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 28, 2010 20:17 |  #11

bdpaco wrote in post #11182204 (external link)
Thanks for the advice..one more question, do you offer 4x6 prints? I try to stay away from them since I do offer x amount of high res images on a disk with some of my larger packages and for what I feel I should charge for them I feel like a thief compared to the .28 cents Wal mart and places charge. not really sure how to handle 4x6 sales I guess..

Show your customers the difference in quality in a wal-mart print and a lustre coated print from MPix or a similar lab.

Steve Lexa
Iowa City Wedding Photography (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 28, 2010 22:31 |  #12

sapearl wrote in post #11170813 (external link)
Not only is it time consuming but it's a little bit of a pain when people place small orders. My lab has a minimum or I have to eat an upcharge, so I tend to group orders together. I recall Tim you mentioned in the past that you have a minimum order requirment, and I'm liking that idea more and more now.

$50 minimum, plus $10 delivery. I would prefer a $100 minimum. My print orders have fallen 90% from where they were a few years ago, on average one print order per 2-3 weddings. It's almost not worthwhile putting them online, except I said I would, so of course I do.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

lapiqurestudios
236 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 29, 2010 00:45 |  #13

does anyone here use Pictage? I really love the quality of their prints.

www.javierherreraphoto​graphy.com (external link)
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 24-70 f2.8L, Sigma 85 1.4, 70-200mm F2.8 L, Profoto Acute 2 1200 w/s lighting systems, AB Einsteins

caught14
194 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 29, 2010 13:31 as a reply to  @ lapiqurestudios's post |  #14

You can use this same argument for just about any size print -- it doesn't apply to just 4x6's.

You need to understand (and then educate your clients) that what they are investing in isn't just the paper -- it's far more than that.

bdpaco
THREAD ­ STARTER
696 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 29, 2010 13:42 |  #15

Your right, I do need to educate them on what I put into the images.

My Blog
My Website

sponsored links

2,656 views & 0 likes for this thread
print sales...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.