Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 24 Oct 2010 (Sunday) 10:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do I have what it takes to go PRO?

CTP
353 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 26, 2010 09:12 |  #46

According to Nick, I am in the HDR hole ;) This is an awesome flo chart, saved.

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #11166168 (external link)
You really don't want to know. :lol:

Basically speaking, they're the ones behind all the internet pranks you can think of and you don't want to p off a /b/ that's for sure.

Just ask Gene Simmons.

EOS R + 5D4, 16-35L II, 24L TS-E II, 24L II, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, RF 28-70L, 580ex IIx2
Rockford IL Wedding Photographer (external link), my blog (external link) and Youtube (external link).

sponsored links
_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 26, 2010 11:23 |  #47

Gosh I really want to see these now. Why does everyone take down their photos?

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

StellaBlue71
390 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 26, 2010 11:24 |  #48

_aravena wrote in post #11168063 (external link)
Gosh I really want to see these now. Why does everyone take down their photos?

If he/she couldn't take the critics here, image how he/she would deal with an angry bride or mother.. They are killers

T2i w/ Grip :18-55mm IS, 28mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 70-200 f/4L, 100-400mmf/4.5-5.6L IS, 430ex II

Chad ­ R.
214 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 26, 2010 14:30 |  #49

Yeah I wanna see the photo's! Gee they cant be that bad...PM them, I will help give kindly advice and make you better.

They say you are what you eat. Funny, I don't remember eating a sexy beast.

GDH
139 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 26, 2010 15:57 |  #50

Speedbird, my compliments to you for being willing to ask for direct, uncensored feedback and then to accept it so professionally. You photography might not meet the standards of some, but your positive attitude, desire for feedback, and kind tone are certainly professional in my standards.

Canon 5Diii, 24-105L, 17-40L, 70-200L 2.8, 50.

hab138
27 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 26, 2010 23:00 |  #51

to the OP,
If your really passionate about it, Keep shooting, keep learning,
Take the advice and C and C given, IMHO, it's honest and is impersonal and a heck of a lot better to hear it here than from your clients, or even worse, not hear it from your clients and have them tell their friends not to hire you.

Shamir
508 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 26, 2010 23:19 |  #52

Im just where it says I SUCK before techniques.. seriously.. had around 5 shoots where I didnt even want to show the pictures to the client.. and they loved them.. but hey, I DO SUCK! woww...

Shamir
My Website - Click Here (external link)

swashbuckler
51 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 30, 2010 20:14 |  #53

Lol at the chart, it's spooky accurate. I'm somewhere before 'first tripod' on the blue line. I started looking at how to do HDR today before seeing that chart! AHHHHH!!!

Canon XS || 430EX II || Tamron 18-270, EF 50 1.4, EF-S 55-250, Kit 15-55

Fernando.R
313 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 01, 2010 00:22 |  #54

The photos aren't available anymore? I'd love to have a look :(

http://imith.redbubble​.com/ (external link)
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/fernandoros​enberg/ (external link)

Canon 450D | Canon 5D MkII | 28-70mm f/2.8L | 85mm f/1.8 [COLOR="Red"]| [COLOR="Black"] Voigtlander 40mm F2 | 580EX II |

sboerup
841 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 01, 2010 00:30 |  #55

The quality of your photography means really little compared to your ability to run a business. Really awesome photographers that don't know business will never make it as a profession. There are, however, really crappy photographers that are great business people and make a ton of money.

Asking photographers whether your photography is good enough has next to nothing to do with the success and viability of running a business.

NewCanon7DUser
36 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 01, 2010 06:21 |  #56
bannedPermanent ban

Fernando.R wrote in post #11202197 (external link)
The photos aren't available anymore? I'd love to have a look :(

I guess the negative criticism caused the OP to remove them!

YankeeMom
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Gallery: 312 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 01, 2010 08:43 |  #57

sboerup wrote in post #11202225 (external link)
The quality of your photography means really little compared to your ability to run a business. Really awesome photographers that don't know business will never make it as a profession. There are, however, really crappy photographers that are great business people and make a ton of money.

Asking photographers whether your photography is good enough has next to nothing to do with the success and viability of running a business.

That's really banking on customers being idiots. Seriously -- why else would someone hire a crappy photographer? IMO, they only do it a.) if it's a relative/to help out a relative or b.) you're dirt cheap (compared to the real pro.)

If they are otherwise manipulated by a bad photographer's great "business skills", then they are probably not very bright or honestly know nothing about photography. (The latter probably being more true which, in that case, I consider the photographer deceptive and a negative backlash to follow.) JMO.

Kristin
Mom to 11 ~ Still sane and rocking my Canon 5DMkII.
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)
| Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Pinterest (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Fernando.R
313 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 01, 2010 21:41 |  #58

NewCanon7DUser wrote in post #11203029 (external link)
I guess the negative criticism caused the OP to remove them!

Ahh too bad.

Cheers

http://imith.redbubble​.com/ (external link)
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/fernandoros​enberg/ (external link)

Canon 450D | Canon 5D MkII | 28-70mm f/2.8L | 85mm f/1.8 [COLOR="Red"]| [COLOR="Black"] Voigtlander 40mm F2 | 580EX II |

auroraskye
Goldmember
2,445 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 02, 2010 10:08 |  #59

YankeeMom wrote in post #11203475 (external link)
That's really banking on customers being idiots. Seriously -- why else would someone hire a crappy photographer? IMO, they only do it a.) if it's a relative/to help out a relative or b.) you're dirt cheat (compared to the real pro.)

If they are otherwise manipulated by a bad photographer's great "business skills", then they are probably not very bright or honestly know nothing about photography. (The latter probably being more true which, in that case, I consider the photographer deceptive and a negative backlash to follow.) JMO.

I think a lot of the time the ignorance lies on both sides. Photographers who suck who think they are actually doing a good job throwing their camera in auto and over-processing their images (let's be honest, that's the M/O of most low end photographers) and it's clients who don't know what good photography looks like. Everybody has a different tolerance of what's good and what's not good. That's the truth in everything - hence the reason why we have a large variety of price points for everything we could possibly buy. You could buy a pair of shoes at Payless and be perfectly happy with them, but there are some people who wouldn't wear anything from Payless, they only want to wear shoes from Neiman's.

Some clients just don't care about photography, have a different tolerance of what's good..etc.. That's their problem!

I am super cool n' stuff.
http://www.brandithomp​sonphotography.com (external link)
Like Me On Facebook (external link)

YankeeMom
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Gallery: 312 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 02, 2010 10:20 |  #60

I agree that the photographer and/or customer may just not know better, but I was responding to the assertion that just having great business skills is enough to do well, even if you are crappy. I'm not saying it can't work, but in the long run, it's a lose-lose for everyone. Definitely ignorance is more forgivable than manipulation. :)

Kristin
Mom to 11 ~ Still sane and rocking my Canon 5DMkII.
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)
| Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Pinterest (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

11,850 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do I have what it takes to go PRO?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.