Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Oct 2010 (Monday) 12:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Possible to shoot tethered to an iPad

Lazuka
Cream of the Crop
5,639 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 28, 2010 22:05 |  #31
bannedPermanent ban

Mark1 wrote in post #11184868 (external link)
I have been looking into this a bit. Everybody seems to agree that the X2 cards will not do it. But I swear we got it to work on a P&S. So the MiWi looks like it is a must have. $20 after a $600 pad is nothing. I would say it is worth it.

The x2's do not like working in a lot of DSLR's as they did change some things in the firmware. This may also effect the networking side as well somehow. I could not get the camera to recognise the card properly at all. It would say the card needs to be formated. When I went to format it in camera, it says it can not format it.

My Wi is a jailbreak app, so it voids your warranty if you do that. Just a disclaimer ;)

I suck at Photoshop.

sponsored links
TopHatMoments
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 28, 2010 23:06 |  #32

Just to answer the OP's question exactly. No it is not possible to shot tethered to the iPad.

Canon to PhotoShop, “Beam me up”! LR3 set course for CS5, Warp speed 64!___ ((dpp___/==***^***

wysiwyg59
284 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 28, 2010 23:24 as a reply to  @ TopHatMoments's post |  #33

OnOne Software announced new plug-in software for the MAC. I have OnOne's Plug-In Suite 5 and received an email today about the new release.

Plus this new app for the iPad

http://www.ononesoftwa​re.com/products/dslr-camera-remote/ (external link)

Rick
Canon A1, 7D2, 40D, Canon G12, Sony NEX-5N
Canon 70-200 IS F2.8 L, Canon 35mm f1.4 L, EF-S 18-200mm, EF-S 10-22mm
wysiwyg@hickorytech.ne​t (external link)

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 28, 2010 23:41 |  #34

TopHatMoments wrote in post #11185501 (external link)
Just to answer the OP's question exactly. No it is not possible to shot tethered to the iPad.

http://fstoppers.com/i​pad/ (external link)

It is totally possible.

Some who don't want to use jailbreaking, can also make use of an external battery powered router.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

lan
32 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 28, 2010 23:54 as a reply to  @ Csae's post |  #35

I use Eye-Fi X2 in my 1DS2 and it works fine using shutter snitch. My mobile router is Virgin Mobile MiFi.

TopHatMoments
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 29, 2010 03:37 |  #36

I use OnOnes DSLR remote with great results. But the camera is tethered to a laptop, not the iPad.
With this or that app, even with some jailbreak( thou I don't have jailbroken) iPad cause if it does break it is just that broken)

Tethered is when a cable connects directly from the camera to the iPad and you use the iPad to then interact with the camera. That would make for one heck of a focus screen.
OnOne's setup is great for what it does it does well. I used it with my iPod touch until my iPad came in.. You connect your laptop to the camera then through WiFi and an ad/hoc connect the iPad to the laptop. With an Alfa 1 watt wifi extension antenna I can use if line of site a good 300 yards so far that I have used it. In building with all the same hooked up sometimes 40 maybe 60 feet depending on the walls and other electronic bubo jumbo. In a stud ion environment it works well when I want to capture a child when the think I'm not at the shutter ( sometimes just to get at mom lil ones will not allow you to capture them smiling) you move away from camera and leave) now the smile.
I was going to get canons wifi system, but then you still have to use a laptop ( or tower) the iPod touch and the iPad are bothe lighter to carry. The system works with all my camera bodies. It didn't take 10 minutes the first time to set it up. It takes longer to read how to than to do.
So yeah the iPad will control the camera and do it well. There is still a split second delay in the setup depending on the comunakay tween putter and iPad.
But as of yet no way to connect a cable to the iPad and camera thereby shooting tethered.
The term wireless is just that, wireless not tethered.

Canon to PhotoShop, “Beam me up”! LR3 set course for CS5, Warp speed 64!___ ((dpp___/==***^***

ccp900
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 29, 2010 03:57 |  #37

the x2 wont work with the cf card converter...if your camera can use SD cards then it should be fine....eyefi themselves released the news, X2 wont work in 5d2 and 7d, the old cards can BUT they always say big risk of corruption etc.

[Sony A7R Mark 3 | Sony A7S | Sony Zeiss 16-35m f/4.0 | Zeiss Batis 40m f2 | Sony FE 28m f2 | Sony Zeiss 55m f1.8 | Sony FE 28-70m f/3.5-5.6 | Helios 44-2 | Helios 44-3 | Nikon 105m f/2.5 AIS | Contax Zeiss Planar 50m f1.7 | Contax Zeiss Planar 100m f2 | Voigtlander Nokton 40m f/1.4 | Canon 24-105m f/4.0L | Canon 85m f/1.8 | Sigma 30m f/1.4 | Canon 10-22m f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 100m f/2.8 Macro USM | Canon 580 EX Ver 1.0]

CameraAddict
98 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 29, 2010 08:42 |  #38

You can use all the crazy roundabout routes, or for less than $300 buy a Windows netbook. You have to trick the Canon installer into thinking the netbook has better screen resolution than it does, but after that, you have full EOS utility tethered shooting, no workarounds, live-view available, no limits (other than those imposed by Canon's EOS utility).

50D, 5D Mark II, 24-105, 70-200 IS, 100-400, 100 f/2.8, 10-22, 70-300 Non-L (for sale), 28-135, 50 f/1.8, Kenko tubes, 430 EX II, Wacom Bamboo Pen/Touch, LR3, PS5

TopHatMoments
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 29, 2010 09:48 |  #39

Same laptop n LR3 tethered..
Breeze systems remote program, it works great.
You can connect the camera to an HD tv and use a wired shutter release for untold focus review.
What you can not do with that mini notebook ( I have a few ) is hook it to the camera and move about without dragging wire all over the place ( I have several chipped high speed USB cables ) you can connect 65 feet of them and not lose diddly, as thou it was just 6 feetbof USB cable. In a living room full of kids or adults for that matter, someone is going to trip or snag a cable. For at the camera focus, one could just zoom in on the screen. If I do attach a putter to it for close up focus view, it's not just to see but run a focus stacker program. If your going to dip it with something might as well take it as far as what's tethered can take it.
Were the iPad able to tether, live view would be outstanding as photographs really do look good on this thing. I could rig the iPad to automatically send them where ever I wanted ( great for journalist ) or that scene you just happen across while going from point a to be. WAIT I got's the connection plugs from apple for that, just slam a card in it chose the shots email a-gogo. Local paper or news real has it before they even roll one of there units.
For me the iPad is a tool just like every other piece of gadget I have. Some multifunctions, some do not. iPad does a lot of things, for now just one at a time ( if not jail broken ) which would render my warranty useless. Mines covered for everything for two years. Cost 99$. Maybe 100$ on top of that depending how I break it.
Were human, that makes us all "Tweaker's"
We all want tomorrow, today.
Canon could make a fortune if they made sizable screen systems to tether with, allowing all the function control that you do with the camera. Better yet, make it wifi and now were off and- oh wait I want something to do this.
Still the answer to the OP's question is no. As for all this other laptop cluter, chances are if they have an iPad they have an laptop also.

TopHatMoments
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 29, 2010 09:51 as a reply to  @ TopHatMoments's post |  #40

Now just in case you do want to go around all those round a bouts and on the outside chance some of that in tails the use of wifi, better make sure that 300$ unit which will have win7, has win7 pro, because you not going to setup ad/hoc with standard win7.

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 29, 2010 11:06 |  #41

Lazuka wrote in post #11185163 (external link)
My Wi is a jailbreak app, so it voids your warranty if you do that. Just a disclaimer ;)

Could not care less about the warranty. But then again, all you have to do is a Restore and your warranty is back!

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

TopHatMoments
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 29, 2010 12:54 |  #42

Either way tethered to it is not in the fore seen future. My camera connection kit allows me to ( if I chose ) uload from camera or card to the iPad, if I need to send something along the way.. It fits into my camera bag slung over my shoulder and is barely noticeable. Much lighter than any of my notebooks or laptops, even the mini's.
I see the want and maybe the need for control of the camera with it. With the 64 gig storage (well about 50 gig as I have it loaded with bookoo photo for portfolio and about 2 gigs in apps an maybe couple cartoon or so for kids to watch) it is a good way for some to unload cards on the fly.
There are hundreds of apps for photographers, many of which are just dazzle bs, there are also many, to me greatly usable ones that help plan location shoots, what time of day the light will be where in the sky and angle. Hour by hour weather if need be and next day weather to be sure all will go well.
If the place they have in mind is not public, thanks to google and so other apps I can get the info and call ahead. That way I can see if I can bring strobes n a few this and that's or, if I need to pack light for a run an gun ;)

I'm an ole fuddy duddy, but I can see the need to keep up. I use iPad to allow customers to pay me on, light easy credit card setup with my bank. If they want to use paypal, got that too. Need low res for facebook or tweet, pop in the jpeg card from the 1d3, or better yet grab the G9 and pose them as they'd like stick in the card, app up photogene or another, tweak it crop to needed size and as a perk, the can access there online account logon upload there pic log off all on the iPad and there happy. They've already paid for there shoot, that's just a perk at the end. It's uses are endless and almost instant on, if it's on standby it is instant on. For what it won't do mini laptop. My mini's are barely heavier, have far better wifi but, no unlimited 3G if wifi is not available. Still all that can be done on a laptop. If you have an air card in or attached to or there is wifi. Same as the iPad, for stuff such as mail, tweets, FB, iPad is faster.
CANON, if you are listening, should you decide to make an app capable of tethered control shooting in such a way that it left noinkers in the cold, your sales would increase. Get with Apple and work out a fix for us junkies and both of you will increase sales.

See I dream out loud sometime too! Well dreams that be dreamed in public anyway.
I'm not gonna dream aloud about Christie Brinkley here though.

Still for the OP , tethered shooting as it is for me, still a dream.

ccp900
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 02, 2010 23:58 |  #43

id be happy with an aftermarket china made WFT clone...

[Sony A7R Mark 3 | Sony A7S | Sony Zeiss 16-35m f/4.0 | Zeiss Batis 40m f2 | Sony FE 28m f2 | Sony Zeiss 55m f1.8 | Sony FE 28-70m f/3.5-5.6 | Helios 44-2 | Helios 44-3 | Nikon 105m f/2.5 AIS | Contax Zeiss Planar 50m f1.7 | Contax Zeiss Planar 100m f2 | Voigtlander Nokton 40m f/1.4 | Canon 24-105m f/4.0L | Canon 85m f/1.8 | Sigma 30m f/1.4 | Canon 10-22m f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 100m f/2.8 Macro USM | Canon 580 EX Ver 1.0]

sponsored links

13,208 views & 0 likes for this thread
Possible to shoot tethered to an iPad
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.