Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Oct 2010 (Saturday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Banding Example... solution?

MCB
668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 30, 2010 14:59 |  #1

Hi.

I just got a 7D and have been testing it out. One thing I have noticed is some pretty severe banding even at ISO 100. The attached photo is a 100% crop shot at ISO 100. I shot it raw and opened it in lightroom 3 with just the default settings (no change to exposure, fill light, recovery, black point, contrast, etc).

I might expect something like this at ISO 3200 or 6400... but 100?
(In case it's not obvious, I'm looking at the discolored band in the midtones that runs along the shadow to the left of her face)

Also, the noise in out of focus areas is very large and blotchy, like an oil painting or something. I see this at pretty much all ISO settings. This really doesn't seem right. Did I get a lemon?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,402 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 30, 2010 15:15 |  #2

Your eyesight must be a darn sight better than mine then, perhaps seeking help with your pixel peeping addiction may be the answer. Just go and enjoy a great camera.

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 30, 2010 15:15 |  #3

Banding ?... which one is banding ?.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

Stickman
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 30, 2010 15:29 |  #4

MCB wrote in post #11194270 (external link)
Hi.

One thing I have noticed is some pretty severe banding even at ISO 100. The attached photo is a 100% crop shot at ISO 100.

Did I get a lemon?

No, you did not get a lemon. Your expectations are obscene, stop pixel peeping, go shoot pictures and make prints. You will find your images print quite nicely.

The other possibility is that this is a joke post.

Stick
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/stickgunner/ (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,730 posts
Gallery: 1659 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Oct 30, 2010 15:30 |  #5

my monitor sucks cuz I can't see no banding.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 30, 2010 15:30 |  #6

mine too...i don't see any!

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 30, 2010 15:34 |  #7

+1 don't see it.

Oil painting.. what? Did you perhaps have some smooth bokeh that you are actually complaining about instead of enjoying its glory ?

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,640 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 30, 2010 15:39 |  #8

There is no banding here, and any splotchiness you see is just jpg compression, in my opinion. Equalizing an image in PS will show alot that is wrong with an image, and I see no banding.

HOSTED PHOTO

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

MCB
THREAD ­ STARTER
668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 30, 2010 15:58 |  #9

artyman wrote in post #11194353 (external link)
Your eyesight must be a darn sight better than mine then, perhaps seeking help with your pixel peeping addiction may be the answer. Just go and enjoy a great camera.

okay... maybe I have offended you all by using the wrong word. Forget banding.

nobody else sees a long stripe of yellowish discoloration that runs parallel to the shadow on the left, but is separated from it by a few dozen pixels? Believe it or not, she does not have a yellow stripe down her face.

The image posted here was compressed as a jpg, but I see exactly the same thing in lightroom with no compression applied.

I was not commenting on blochiness in this image, but rather most every other image where I have an OOF background.

My comment about the large discolored stripe being unexpected is due to years of expereince looking at images from a 350D, 40D and more recently a 5Dii. None of which exhibit this phenomenon on my computer using this software and this monitor.

Unrealistic expectation from a pixel peeper? Really? It is unreasonable to expect that a 7D will have image quality equal to a 40D. Okay, I'll shut my noob mouth and go away while you worship this camera.

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 30, 2010 16:01 |  #10

I still don't see. May be I am just not sensitive to this banding thing!

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 30, 2010 16:06 as a reply to  @ MCB's post |  #11

I'll offer some observations on the image

the OP (noob ?) is using some sort of ocf light modifier - (octa, beauty disc, etc) the light fall off is almost immediate on the check and the pixels in question, yellowish discoloration (banding) is actually the transition from light to dark from the ocf setup.

It's your OCF setup that's causing the yellow discoloration - nothing that a little more tweaking of the OCF setup cannot get rid of.

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 30, 2010 16:06 |  #12

MCB, no need to get mad here. It's not because people don't agree with you that you need to ''shut my noob mouth and go away''.

There was the same exact thread for the 5dMkII not too long ago. Here and another one here.

Read that, you'll find what you are looking for.

Oh and solution..? Stop pixel peeping. Your first shot is great, that should not stop you of printing it.

Hi, I'm David.

citro
167 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 30, 2010 16:07 |  #13

MCB wrote in post #11194538 (external link)
nobody else sees a long stripe of yellowish discoloration that runs parallel to the shadow on the left, but is separated from it by a few dozen pixels? Believe it or not, she does not have a yellow stripe down her face.

Can't see it. Please, circle the area.

Canon 400D :: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 :: Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L :: Tokina 12-24mm f/4 :: Speedlites :: Flickr (external link)

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 30, 2010 16:16 |  #14

Palladium wrote in post #11194569 (external link)
I'll offer some observations on the image

the OP (noob ?) is using some sort of ocf light modifier - (octa, beauty disc, etc) the light fall off is almost immediate on the check and the pixels in question, yellowish discoloration (banding) is actually the transition from light to dark from the ocf setup.

It's your OCF setup that's causing the yellow discoloration - nothing that a little more tweaking of the OCF setup cannot get rid of.

This is the area of the yellow discoloration (banding) in question...

HOSTED PHOTO

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,730 posts
Gallery: 1659 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Oct 30, 2010 16:17 |  #15

Nope, still don't see it even after OP's attempt at describing the anomaly. Like I said, my monitor's probably too crappy to see it (I'm being serious). I'm using some 26" Samsung LCD and it's pretty bottom-of-the-line as it was rather cheap. :D

** edit **

Oh, I was looking for strictly vertical or horizontal elements... as that would be "banding". If it's not vertical/horizontal... then it's more likely a lighting issue, not a sensor/camera issue.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links

4,931 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D Banding Example... solution?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.