Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Oct 2010 (Saturday) 07:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Time to buy gear again...

Medic85
I just quoted Forrest Gump!
2,018 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 30, 2010 07:48 |  #1

I sold all of my gear except a few odds and ends back last year and now I've got another kid on the way and want to get some more gear. My problem is that I can't decide what to do. I've had it all at some point; 1D, Rebel, 30D, 40D. I'm considering a 1DMKII, 40D or 50D but I can't decide. I don't do any sports photography, mostly just family stuff, candids and what not so I don't really 'need' the 1D. My question is this: Is the 50D that much of an upgrade from the 40D? I know it has higher resolution and stuff but if it's not worth the extra cost I'd like to know why. I've been all over eBay and have recently been checking out the used stuff at B&H and Adorama. I don't want to spend more than around $900 for everything. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

sponsored links
HaroldC3
Goldmember
3,238 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined May 2007

Oct 30, 2010 08:09 |  #2

The main things you get with the 50D over the 40D are:

Increased resolution LCD screen
Higher MP
Micro-adjust

Other than that they are pretty much the same.

So you decide if any of those features are worth it for you.

Flickr (external link) ~ Instagram (external link)

SaxonIV
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 30, 2010 08:10 |  #3

i personally have a 40D, and would never upgrade to just a 50D. just not worth it. the next step for me is a 5D or a 7D

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 30, 2010 09:02 |  #4

Medic85 wrote in post #11192651 (external link)
I sold all of my gear except a few odds and ends back last year and now I've got another kid on the way and want to get some more gear. My problem is that I can't decide what to do. I've had it all at some point; 1D, Rebel, 30D, 40D. I'm considering a 1DMKII, 40D or 50D but I can't decide. I don't do any sports photography, mostly just family stuff, candids and what not so I don't really 'need' the 1D. My question is this: Is the 50D that much of an upgrade from the 40D? I know it has higher resolution and stuff but if it's not worth the extra cost I'd like to know why. I've been all over eBay and have recently been checking out the used stuff at B&H and Adorama. I don't want to spend more than around $900 for everything. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

It appears you get through rather a lot of equipment, so my advice to you is buy the very best you can afford and try to hang on to it.

David :)

David

Medic85
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,018 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 30, 2010 16:21 |  #5

Woodworker wrote in post #11192859 (external link)
It appears you get through rather a lot of equipment, so my advice to you is buy the very best you can afford and try to hang on to it.

Yeah...I kind of went crazy buying/selling/trading different gear. :)

spiralspirit
940 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 30, 2010 16:49 |  #6

if you aren't doing sports don't go for the 1d - great cameras but they're giant and not a "I'll grab my camera to take pictures as we go' type camera.

Depending on the price difference I'd grab either a 40d or a 50d. Probably the 50d for the greater mp count and micro adjust.

canon 1dmk2* Canon XSi * Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG * Canon 17-40mm f/4L * Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX * Canon 50mm f/1.8 *

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 30, 2010 17:16 |  #7

spiralspirit wrote in post #11194776 (external link)
Depending on the price difference I'd grab either a 40d or a 50d. Probably the 50d for the greater mp count and micro adjust.

But he's already been along the xxD route and would be well advised to go for a 1DMk4.

David

flickserve
835 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 31, 2010 03:08 |  #8

You have kids? Probably 7D is a good option and long term investment. You want to catch them running around or doing performances so need the good AF.

If you get the 50D, you'll keep asking yourself "should I go for 60D, 7D or 5D2 next?"

Flamez
28 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 31, 2010 03:20 |  #9

I'm are the Canon G12 would meet your general family requirements. A cracking little camera with money left over for a great flash which you could use off camera.

Regards; Philip Bailey;

roosterslayer
994 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 31, 2010 03:24 |  #10

i would buy the 40d and get some good glass to compliment it.
7d/1d series is more geared towards sports so it wouldnt really be necessary to buy. besides you would probably end up going over budget.

flickr (external link)

coldcuts113
930 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 31, 2010 07:26 |  #11

OP doesn't want to spend more than $900... Not sure if the OP has any glass..
Look for something used... If you go with a 40d you'll have a little more $ to put towards a lens as opposed to a 50d.

Nikon D4, Sony RX10, Sony RX100.
Past Gear: (most recently) 5D3, L's, etc.

Medic85
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,018 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 31, 2010 09:10 |  #12

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I'm a little limited on budget so the 7D is out. Nice camera but too rich for my blood. I'm leaning more towards the used 40 or 50D right now. Dad has a 5D with some good glass that I can always use but I still would like to have my own gear again and not have to go borrow his all the time. Thanks for the suggestions.

flickserve
835 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 31, 2010 11:18 |  #13

Medic85 wrote in post #11197652 (external link)
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I'm a little limited on budget so the 7D is out. Nice camera but too rich for my blood. I'm leaning more towards the used 40 or 50D right now. Dad has a 5D with some good glass that I can always use but I still would like to have my own gear again and not have to go borrow his all the time. Thanks for the suggestions.

Then 40D with glass. In the future, if you get the upgrade itch, it will feel more justifiable than if from a 50D;)

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 31, 2010 21:20 |  #14

flickserve wrote in post #11196887 (external link)
You have kids? Probably 7D is a good option and long term investment. You want to catch them running around or doing performances so need the good AF.

If you get the 50D, you'll keep asking yourself "should I go for 60D, 7D or 5D2 next?"

And where can they find one for $900 including lenses?

Ain't nothin but a thing.

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 31, 2010 21:22 |  #15

For $900 you might find a 40D, 18-55IS and maybe one other cheap lens or flash.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

sponsored links

2,806 views & 0 likes for this thread
Time to buy gear again...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.