Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Oct 2010 (Friday) 19:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

For those of you that shoot LARGE raw files

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 16, 2010 10:30 |  #16

Yeah, one of my drives died on me and lost everything so I decided to go Drobo. It's been great so far. I'm using USB but just bought a Firewire 800 card and will switch to that soon.

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

sponsored links
DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 16, 2010 11:05 |  #17

TaDa wrote in post #11105174 (external link)
...I have a quick question.

I shot with a 5D and 1D3 for a good long time, and could easily rattle off 800+ shots in a day. Now I've moved to a 5D2 that has huge raw files, and I find myself shooting many less frames. Has nothing to do with spray and pray, I just now find myself "thinking" about a shot a little more before I hit the shutter release. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm running out of USB slots to attach external storage to and that the cards fill up much faster.

Just curious if this has happened to anyone else?

And yes, I know all about sRaw, just kind of in the mode of "if I have it, use it" with the large RAW files. The cropping ability of the 5D2 files is insane.

HP Home server, 3 2TB drives inside, done :)

To be honest I just shoot as ever - heck, I might have actually shot more shots with my 5D MK II than my 400D in the same amount of time.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 16, 2010 11:09 |  #18

With each camera I have taken more images, 40D>5D>5DII.... then again, I shoot more often then before. Still, per "event" I am shooting less and less than before.

My "library" is now at 560 gig with 460 of that in the last 12 months, or less. I do back, now and then, and delete images.

I think when the Drobo comes in I am going to remove a RAID1 pair out of my PC and just use the Drobo.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 30, 2010 18:02 |  #19

the drobo is a huge piece of crap for performance, I have one and I hate the darn thing, the most I can ever get out of it is 35MBs which is a joke

I removed all of my photos and put it on my old buffalo raid

drobo has 4 x 1TB western digital 7200 rpm green 64MB cache, 3GS Sata, and using firewire 800 I get 35MBs

buffalo has 4x 250GB IDE 8MB cache I believe 5400 rpm hard drives in raid 5 ESATA and I can get 125Mbs

one of those 1TB drives by itself can achieve 93MBs in my tests so it should easily smoke the buffalo if the drobo was not such a turd

the drobo is cool as far as expandability but I have had it tell me 3 times already that a drive died when there was no problem, and their tech support is nothing to proud about either

although they claim you can access all your data when the drive dies... yeah you can hours later after its done rebuilding, and the performance then is like using a floppy drive :(

I am using mine for time machine backups now, I couldnt figure out why using photoshop and lightroom was so darn slow until I realized it was the drobo slowing down the whole thing

I have the 2nd gen one, apparently the S is supposed to be better but its still slow compared to a simple mirror which is ludicrous

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 30, 2010 18:05 |  #20

I just carry multiple memory cards.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 30, 2010 23:32 |  #21

I have the Drobo S up and running and it's hooked up via Esata. On large files I am getting 95mbs. I'm using it for my images now and the performance is fine. I did have an issue, when first setting it up, that was resolved by their tech support which I thought was friendly and helpful.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 30, 2010 23:37 as a reply to  @ bohdank's post |  #22

On average, I probably am shooting fewer frames and I'd like to think it's because I'm improving my eye and my craft.

I know I'm becoming much, much more critical and will not hesitate to trash an image unless it's either dead nutz on for technical or artistic reasons.

No room anymore for "Close Enough" ;)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Anders ­ Östberg
Goldmember
3,395 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Oct 31, 2010 02:25 |  #23

I use larger memory cards now :) but other than that it hasn't changed how I shoot. Maybe it contributes to why I'm more brutal now about rejecting pictures. I don't save as many bad or questionable pictures as I used to do.

Anders Östberg - Mostly Canon gear - My photos (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 31, 2010 02:32 |  #24

I shoot full RAW + full JPG and have every one I've ever shot. Eventually I move the RAWs over to Blu Ray discs. Works for me. ;)

Flickr (external link)

mattia
528 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 31, 2010 02:44 |  #25

I went from a 300D to a 5DII, so the quantity of data increased massively. I don't really shoot any less, but processing the files was a major bottleneck until recently, because my older PC was horribly slow, and my newer Macbook (now 3 years old) was OK, but loading up took forever in DxO. Lightroom's faster, but I prefer DxO's RAW conversion and results.

It hasn't stopped me shooting tons, but I do find that for those quick snaps I just send people the straight from camera small JPG files. I'm still post-processing RAWs from a year ago, because the unprocessed stuff was very good as is.

Good storage and a good system to process is a must; I currently upgraded to a Mac Pro hexacore (also lets met get my other hobby - audio recording - off the ground again), dumped a ton of memory in there, added an SSD as a system drive which hosts things like my lightroom catalog, but not the files, and built a RAID 0 array for the main data. All the RAW files get manually copied over to a separate internal harddisk, then there's the TimeMachine internal backup, and a backup to a RAID 1 network storage box that I'll eventually back up to an additional off-site RAID 1 network box. Or possibly go for online storage options.

5DII | 300D | 30D IR | 17-40L | 24-105L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS | 100-400L IS | 15 FE | 35L | 50/1.8 mk I | 135L | Sigmalux 50/1.4 | Sigma 105/F2.8 Macro | C/Y Planar 50/1.4 | C/Y Distagon 35/2.8

dmnelson
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 31, 2010 03:08 |  #26

As I get better I do feel comfortable being more deliberate in my shooting and taking fewer frames. But massive memory cards and hard drives have become very affordable, so I certainly don't hold back simply due to storage concerns. I'd rather waste some space to get the shot I want, as opposed to missing it because I was worrying about how much storage will be needed.

Gear | Flickr (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 31, 2010 03:16 |  #27

Just to add I don't think about my shots. I always have my cameras set to one shot unless I'm shooting some sort of fast action and that's not often.

Some people have questioned why I have over 350GB worth of CF cards and another 120GB of SD cards, now you see why. The 1D4, 5D2, and 7D go through memory cards like the cookie monster goes through cookies.

Flickr (external link)

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 31, 2010 03:45 |  #28

K6AZ wrote in post #11196826 (external link)
I shoot full RAW + full JPG and have every one I've ever shot. Eventually I move the RAWs over to Blu Ray discs. Works for me. ;)

I think it's cheaper if you buy an external HDD and move them to that.

I think I made the maths before I got my home server... BlueRay discs are so expensive (+I have neither a Blue Ray reader or writer).

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 31, 2010 03:51 |  #29

DetlevCM wrote in post #11196985 (external link)
I think it's cheaper if you buy an external HDD and move them to that.

I think I made the maths before I got my home server... BlueRay discs are so expensive (+I have neither a Blue Ray reader or writer).

I have three severers and a couple of NAS boxes with over 60TB of storage space and even then fill it up rapidily when I'm doing a lot of shooting. I'm getting BD-Rs for less than $1 each now so every now and then I burn some discs to free up space.

Flickr (external link)

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 31, 2010 04:09 |  #30

K6AZ wrote in post #11196994 (external link)
I have three severers and a couple of NAS boxes with over 60TB of storage space and even then fill it up rapidily when I'm doing a lot of shooting. I'm getting BD-Rs for less than $1 each now so every now and then I burn some discs to free up space.

Less than 1$ per disc... OK.. where you you find these?

I suppose if you can get them at that price - and then have a BlueRay Burner anyway, then there might be a point.

60TBs do sound wonderful - but how do you fill those up quickly? :) :D over summer I had maybe only 500-600GB in total maximum...

sponsored links

6,826 views & 0 likes for this thread
For those of you that shoot LARGE raw files
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.