Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 27 Oct 2010 (Wednesday) 11:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Wedding Video

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 27, 2010 11:47 |  #1

So after two weeks of editing and other things, I finally finished my first wedding video yesterday afternoon. Total length of the video: almost 17 minutes. I was pretty happy with myself.

Last night I uploaded the ceremony part (roughly 3 and a half minutes) to my Vimeo so I could show you all. Take a look.

http://vimeo.com/16231​393 (external link)

Quick notes:
-Shot entirely handheld
-Shot with a 1dmkIV
-5 Different lenses (70-200 2.8 IS, 300 2.8 IS, 16-35 2.8, 50 1.8, and 85 1.8)
-Edited with Adobe premier pro.

Feel free to tear this apart, I don't mind. This was just my first dip into doing some video work.

David W.

sponsored links
dodgevic
66 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 27, 2010 14:38 |  #2

canonnoob wrote in post #11174857 (external link)
So after two weeks of editing and other things, I finally finished my first wedding video yesterday afternoon. Total length of the video: almost 17 minutes. I was pretty happy with myself.

Last night I uploaded the ceremony part (roughly 3 and a half minutes) to my Vimeo so I could show you all. Take a look.

Quick notes:
-Shot entirely handheld
-Shot with a 1dmkIV

Feel free to tear this apart, I don't mind. This was just my first dip into doing some video work.

great job!!

1DX,Canon 7D Grip ,L24-70, L100-400,SIGMA18-250 CANON 580EX CANON 50MM,CANON18-135 :rolleyes:

Ainoko
Stupidest Question Award 2008
1,406 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 27, 2010 17:51 |  #3

canonnoob wrote in post #11174857 (external link)

Quick notes:
-Shot entirely handheld
-Shot with a 1dmkIV

Get a Monopod. We use them 90% of the time, and NEVER shoot handheld.
This is probably the best monopod available for video. It ROCKS http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …V_Video_Monopod​_with.html (external link)

Full Gear List
https://photography-on-the.net …?p=4846834&post​count=1005

Playonpics.com
929 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 27, 2010 18:15 |  #4

ya i'm going to second the monopod... or a steadycam
I would maybe try to make the zooming alittle more smoother... The jumping is noticeable... But obviously the first one you can't have it all haha
Very nice angles. Great work

Canon 1D MarkIII | Canon 7D | 70-200mm F/2.8L | 24-70mm F/2.8L| 300mm F/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 580EXII Flash | Computrekker | ThinkTank roller and beltsystem | Elinchrom (2) Dlites 4IT Canon Platinum CPS Member
www.playonpics.com (external link)

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 27, 2010 18:45 |  #5

not bad i saw a zoom out that could have been A LOT smoother. best rule of thumb is dont zoom while recording unless really really necessary since it ends up being cheesy or distracting.

not bad though. a lot of nice shots just keep it up

canonnoob
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 27, 2010 20:27 |  #6

Thanks for the critique all. I only used a mono for the high up shots and the actual ceremony when using the 300. But maybe it is time to look into a tripod set up.

David W.

Ainoko
Stupidest Question Award 2008
1,406 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 28, 2010 05:20 |  #7

canonnoob wrote in post #11178021 (external link)
Thanks for the critique all. I only used a mono for the high up shots and the actual ceremony when using the 300. But maybe it is time to look into a tripod set up.

A tripod is much more steady, but far less versatile than a monopod. We use them only for the ceremony and reception speeches where we roll for long periods of time (and also anything shot on the 70-200 which is mostly just the ceremony and reception. I even use my 135 on a monopod most of the time). Otherwise it's mainly the monopod.

This is one of our most recent weddings http://vimeo.com/15966​654 (external link)
Sure we use the slider a lot and the steadicam and tripod some too, but if I had to use only ONE thing, it would be without a doubt the monopod I linked. We used to use traditional monopods, and I could never go back. Seriously it's that good.

Full Gear List
https://photography-on-the.net …?p=4846834&post​count=1005

tjames
261 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 28, 2010 08:33 |  #8

Ainoko wrote in post #11180077 (external link)
Sure we use the slider a lot and the steadicam and tripod some too, but if I had to use only ONE thing, it would be without a doubt the monopod I linked. We used to use traditional monopods, and I could never go back. Seriously it's that good.

I was also using a traditional monopod, and I just picked up the Manfrotto 560B, basically the step down from the one Ainoko linked.. while the fluid head isn't as nice I absolutely love it and it makes a huge difference.. I just wasn't convinced it would be that big of deal which is why I didn't want to spend the extra $150.. I can definitely see the value in it now..

Gear List: Kodak Funsaver MAX Cameras, Epson Scanner, MS Paint & some Crayons

canonnoob
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 28, 2010 11:07 |  #9

Thanks for more help guys. Im not exactly looking to go head on into this new industry but, it was interesting to try out. Needless to say, I have a lot more respect for some of the filmmakers out there.

David W.

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 28, 2010 13:42 |  #10

I am impressed with the job you did, and this was the first time. Gives me hope. I have done a series of clips from a karate event, and I am putting them together into a movie (my first time). I just hope mine approaches the quality of the job you have done here.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

Ekean
111 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 30, 2010 21:03 |  #11

I agree with the entire monopod suggestion.
the handheld stuff is just a little shaky, but easily fixed in the future on other weddings.

good job in all.

Nikon D3s | Nikon 20 f/1.8g | Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art | Nikon 85 f/1.8g |

594 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 31, 2010 01:23 |  #12

Ainoko wrote in post #11180077 (external link)
A tripod is much more steady, but far less versatile than a monopod. We use them only for the ceremony and reception speeches where we roll for long periods of time (and also anything shot on the 70-200 which is mostly just the ceremony and reception. I even use my 135 on a monopod most of the time). Otherwise it's mainly the monopod.

This is one of our most recent weddings http://vimeo.com/15966​654 (external link)

phenomenal job

--Jamie
Canon 1DX/Canon 16-35 2,8L/Canon 70-200 4L IS/Canon 24 1,4L II/Canon 50 1,8 II/Canon 15 2,8 Fisheye/
Website (external link) // Facebook Page (external link)

sponsored links

2,853 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Wedding Video
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.